Let’s download Morrissey into the top 40

Joyce will get some money if we download smiths songs and morrissey probably won't have anything to do with it.

Good point. But if we choose a smiths song and it makes the top 40 I don't think Morrissey would mind to much about that.

I'm going with either National Front Disco or Speedway ;)

In my opinion it should be a Morrissey one this time, Hand In Glove can be saved for Christmas :p! :D

I'll throw in my two cents.

I think "My love life" would the obvious choice because its such a great song it would probably open a lot of people up to Morrisseys other great, lesser known songs.

If we're talking about something a little more obscure:

Trouble loves me or You must please remember (a criminally underrated song)

I'll throw in my two cents.

I think "My love life" would the obvious choice because its such a great song it would probably open a lot of people up to Morrisseys other great, lesser known songs.

If we're talking about something a little more obscure:

Trouble loves me or You must please remember (a criminally underrated song)

You are spot on about YMPR, it is among his best ever and it truly is criminal that it isn't a classic on par with its sister song Nobody Loves Us. Trouble Loves Me too is one of my favorites, and My Love Life is so beautiful and even though it is kind of slow it is a pretty good introduction to Moz. So basically I agree with everything you've said. :)

To add my opinion again I think the song must meet the criteria:
Be a solo song
Be in pretty much all download stores (I.E., iTunes doesn't have Southpaw Grammar)
Has not been released a single (so unfortunately eliminating My Love Life)
Something we can all agree upon (so a fan favorite or old classic, like Life is a Pigsty of Maudlin Street or Nobody Loves Us)
Something that is preferably not very radio friendly (in the vein of Life is a Pigsty or something)

As a combination of the last two points I think obscure songs like Pashernate Love, while a song I really like and would be hilarious to see in the top 40, isn't popular enough with Moz's fanbase to have their backing. Now let me try and think of some songs that fit all 5 points.

I say these eight songs are the best candidates:
Alsatian Cousin
Late Night, Maudlin Street
Disappointed
Jack the Ripper
Speedway
Trouble Loves Me
Come Back to Camden
Life is a Pigsty

Okay I’ve got this idea, stop me if you think it’s ridiculous.

There’s a new download rule which allows any song, old or new, single or album track, to be counted in the official top 40.

Radio fourth are doing an experiment. Two of their presenters are asking listeners to download ‘blame it on the boogie’ by the Jacksons all this week to see if they can get it in to the top 40.

If it works I think it would be great if we did the same thing with a Moz/Smiths song.

We could create a poll in order to choose which song. Preferably one that hasn’t charted before and is hardly ever played on Radio. The more non-radio friendly the better. We could announce it on the main board at the beginning of a week and ask everyone to download the chosen song at some time that week.

I know we all spent a lot of money on Morrissey last year, album, singles, gigs and so on and I know that a lot of you don’t really care about the charts. But it’s only 79p and I think it would be a fun thing to do. And if we all pull together and it works I think it could be a really proud moment.

If no one’s interested then that’s fair enough. It was only an idea. Obviously in order for it to work a lot of people would have to get involved.

But if you are interested in taking part, please leave a comment and perhaps suggest some songs.

i think i can spare a good £20 for the cause. thats afew downloads! great idea tbevie

great idea, i have voted. not a tough decision for me as i shed tears when he played this song at the GMEX. well done moz for staying with us after all these years.

Okay I’ve got this idea, stop me if you think it’s ridiculous.

There’s a new download rule which allows any song, old or new, single or album track, to be counted in the official top 40.

Radio fourth are doing an experiment. Two of their presenters are asking listeners to download ‘blame it on the boogie’ by the Jacksons all this week to see if they can get it in to the top 40.

If it works I think it would be great if we did the same thing with a Moz/Smiths song.

We could create a poll in order to choose which song. Preferably one that hasn’t charted before and is hardly ever played on Radio. The more non-radio friendly the better. We could announce it on the main board at the beginning of a week and ask everyone to download the chosen song at some time that week.

I know we all spent a lot of money on Morrissey last year, album, singles, gigs and so on and I know that a lot of you don’t really care about the charts. But it’s only 79p and I think it would be a fun thing to do. And if we all pull together and it works I think it could be a really proud moment.

If no one’s interested then that’s fair enough. It was only an idea. Obviously in order for it to work a lot of people would have to get involved.

But if you are interested in taking part, please leave a comment and perhaps suggest some songs.

It's an awesome idea! :D I vote Hand In Glove. Morrissey was terribly annoyed that it didn't chart well at the time!

I Know It's Over (the live version from Thank Your Lucky Stars. Nothing would go over well on the radio quite like "Jesus Christ! Don't be SO STUPID!"

Brilliant! I love that recording - a live stage invasion, Morrissey losing it at security and Johnny calling them 'f***ing neanderthals'. Awright. :D

thats actually my favourite moz moment maybe ever. the frist time i heard it i was genuinely shocked.

thats actually my favourite moz moment maybe ever. the frist time i heard it i was genuinely shocked.

Took a couple of listens for me to figure out what was actually happening. I think it's brilliant! :D I'd kill to see footage of it. I wonder if any exists? The whole recording of that show is filled with some very witty banter :)

Last edited:
it is particularly amusing. i really can't imagine him being angry. i also enjoy that he just continues to sing about 20 seconds later.

How about one Smiths song (ie Meat Is Murder) and one Morrissey song.

Thats about £1.60 isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom