• Seasick, yet still docked

Votes: 7 2.9%
  • Speedway

Votes: 35 14.5%
  • I know it’s going to happen some day

Votes: 8 3.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
looks like its going to be close,so close in fact that i reckon we should all download both songs.it would only cost a couple of quid!!!!!!

Cast mine for Pigsty but a tough decision, yes.

Great idea, btw - well done, so far. Looking forward to seeing how it develops (and to getting others involved too).

Because Pigsty and National Front are running away with it we should start a discussion about which one is a better choice. Personally I'm leaning towards Pigsty because it is more recent (and so more of an "advertisement" for our current Moz) and The National Front Disco has an outside chance of justing causing a small bit of trouble. Not like all the papers will be saying "MORRISSEY IS RACIST!" again, but I think there will be at least some people who just find it in bad taste or will be like "sigh, here goes more controversy with that Morrissey again". Life is a Pigsty, however, is a musical statement without because of its length and uniqueness without jarring lyrics. It would be a lot of fun to see The National Front Disco chart 15 years after the controversy surrounding, and we don't want to have to "shy away" from songs that wouldn't be chosen by record companies as potential hit singles, but all in all I think Pigsty has more going for it than National Front.

Your thoughts?

I agree I think pigsty would be the better choice.

I think I’ve mentioned this in another thread but if you remember back to when we first heard ‘Pigsty’. Dave Fanning played it on his radio show. I remember he received quite a few comments from listeners saying that they weren’t really into Morrissey’s music but they liked this song. I think it has the potential to draw in new fans.

And although it would be fun for us to hear ‘National front disco’ on the radio I don’t think radio 1 listeners would get it and I don’t think it would have the same impact

Pigsty - lots of us on here hoped it would be a single.
It reflects his most current work and would be interesting to see if it effects Ringleader sales.

Tbevie - I think this is a fascinating experiment.

I voted National Front, but now I think I agree about Pigsty.

Tbevie, have you confirmed that the Top 40 rules don't include any fine print that would prevent one of these non-single tracks from being ranked?

I'm in Canada and I've downloaded in the past from 7digital. Someone else can confirm if they like, just to be sure.

Dannythecat's idea is not bad, but rather than everyone downloading two songs, we'd be better off downloading the winning song twice.

I just googled the UK Top 40 list and I guess it doesn't indicate the number of sales for each song. This makes me a bit less hopeful about our chances... like, even if our song strayed into the #37 spot, maybe the powers-that-be would just see it as a "mistake" and bump it out.

Only people living in the UK will be able to download Morrissey into the UK top ten, it's useless having people from other countries downloading unless they can get a credit card with a UK address.

EDIT: I've also reposted howsoon's message on Morrissey's Myspace page to keep it at the top, I think others that are on Mozzer's friend list should do the same to get it continued attention :)

Last edited:
This is a bloody brilliant idea! I voted Pigsty as I think it's possibly my fave track on ROTT!
Either way, whichever song is chosen, I'll download it with pride!

Here is something that might have been answered...

Will the charts recognize a song that is downloaded even if it is not officially a single?

Pigsty is a good choice because:

A) It is considered cream of the crop from Ringleader, and while I disagree that it is the best track on there, it makes more sense to select this over anything pre-2000 since it reflects contemporary Moz.

B) Lyrically and musically it's a consummation of his years work as a solo artist; the lyrics oscillate between the quintessential, defined miserabilsim of the title and chorus, and the introspective and sensitive self reflection of the verse ("and you can shoot me, and you can throw me of a train, I still maintain..."). I think the song rings true to the idea of Moz stubbornly sticking it out in the light of complete and utter opposition, meaning it perfectly resonates with the intent of this exercise.

A) It is considered cream of the crop from Ringleader, and while I disagree that it is the best track on there, it makes more sense to select this over anything pre-2000 since it reflects contemporary Moz.

B) Lyrically and musically it's a consummation of his years work as a solo artist; the lyrics oscillate between the quintessential, defined miserabilsim of the title and chorus, and the introspective and sensitive self reflection of the verse ("and you can shoot me, and you can throw me of a train, I still maintain..."). I think the song rings true to the idea of Moz stubbornly sticking it out in the light of complete and utter opposition, meaning it perfectly resonates with the intent of this exercise.

I couldn't agree more

lol! .

Lol!

I am buying the arguments for Life Is A Pigsty. If not only because it was criminal to release The Youngest Was The Most Loved and In The Future When All's Well ahead of that! :mad:

But it would still be the best day of my life (even better than today, when my last pay cheque from my Xmas job came, and my poor, dear boss had written it out for my net pay...before tax! :D ) to see Meat Is Murder in the charts. It would just put every vaucous media whore to so much shame.

National Front Disco is one of my favourite Morrissey songs...but something tells me it isn't the best idea for trying to get into the charts. I think he was only playing on Beethoven Was Deaf ;)

Here is something that might have been answered...

Will the charts recognize a song that is downloaded even if it is not officially a single?

Old tracks ... are set to make a return to the singles chart on Sunday under new rules allowing any downloads to be included - not just new releases

Ref: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1983680,00.html

Edit - just read the article again, and it doesn't say anything about tracks that are not released as singles. So I suppose I've added nothing of value to this thread. I'll move along then...

Last edited:
Lol!

I am buying the arguments for Life Is A Pigsty. If not only because it was criminal to release The Youngest Was The Most Loved and In The Future When All's Well ahead of that! :mad:

But it would still be the best day of my life (even better than today, when my last pay cheque from my Xmas job came, and my poor, dear boss had written it out for my net pay...before tax! :D ) to see Meat Is Murder in the charts. It would just put every vaucous media whore to so much shame.

National Front Disco is one of my favourite Morrissey songs...but something tells me it isn't the best idea for trying to get into the charts. I think he was only playing on Beethoven Was Deaf ;)

I agree on all 3 points. I know I;ve said this already but we need more people to make this work e.g not just the Moz fans who come here. There arent enough of us, certainly not the 200+ who have voted here. That can only mean 1 thing. It has to be Meat is Murder. Vegetarians of the world unite and take over! I have sent emails to Peta and to Vegetarian society - they must have more members between them than the Moz fans on here in the UK?? And for those of you who aren't veggie, well you still get to see Moz in the charts and that's the point of this I think?

I agree on all 3 points. I know I;ve said this already but we need more people to make this work e.g not just the Moz fans who come here. There arent enough of us, certainly not the 200+ who have voted here. That can only mean 1 thing. It has to be Meat is Murder. Vegetarians of the world unite and take over! I have sent emails to Peta and to Vegetarian society - they must have more members between them than the Moz fans on here in the UK?? And for those of you who aren't veggie, well you still get to see Moz in the charts and that's the point of this I think?

Good point. I agree we need more people involved. I’ve contacted every Moz related site I can think of and it’s still not enough. It could work if we found a download site that fans outside the UK could use. Someone suggested www.7digital.com but I don’t know if it works.

I agree about ‘Meat is murder’ I think to have that in the charts would be amazing but it looks like it’s going to come third in the poll. I suppose when the polls finishes tomorrow we could make a new thread with the top three choices which will probably be ‘Pigsty’ ‘national front disco’ and ‘Meat is Murder’ and we could all have a discussion about which one would be the best option.

You could bring up this argument.

Good point. I agree we need more people involved. I’ve contacted every Moz related site I can think of and it’s still not enough. It could work if we found a download site that fans outside the UK could use. Someone suggested www.7digital.com but I don’t know if it works.

I agree about ‘Meat is murder’ I think to have that in the charts would be amazing but it looks like it’s going to come third in the poll. I suppose when the polls finishes tomorrow we could make a new thread with the top three choices which will probably be ‘Pigsty’ ‘national front disco’ and ‘Meat is Murder’ and we could all have a discussion about which one would be the best option.

You could bring up this argument.
Good idea. I think also it would make Moz incredibly proud if it was Meat is Murder and make him think even less of Morrissey So-Low if another furore was unleashed with national front disco.

Back
Top Bottom