Morrissey Central "KICK ‘EM WHEN THEY FALL DOWN" (February 17, 2024)

What purpose did Morrissey's venting about Morrissey Solo serve?

For you to have the pleasure of being able to presently remark on it.

Fortunately, he doesn’t hear your venting or your comment above.

That’s the difference.

Yes, I agree. In life it is much easier to be negative than positive. It is much easier to destroy and tear down than to create and build up.
We hate it when anyone becomes successful. And we celebrate when someone falls flat on their face.
Unfortunately, true.

Yes, venting was one of the reasons. We had been discussing for a good while before that word was uttered.
I would say venting and repeatedly making criticisms that have no positive benefit as interchangeable.
We come here to discuss Morrissey. The stuff we love and the stuff we don’t love.
Sure. I’m not debating that here.
It doesn’t serve any higher purpose or ‘good’ nor is it meant to change Morrissey.
Agree. He wouldn’t know about it. But I do think the discussion of his art and especially the praise given to him does indeed serve a higher/good and beneficial purpose. Unlike the repeated criticism/venting, which has yet to serve any purpose. Even therapeutic, because the patients, i.e.,the ones venting, are never cured by the continuous venting. It seems at best to be a temporary release, but then, they always come back for more.

We do it because we want to and because we want a nuanced discussion.

I wouldn’t call the repeated criticism, venting, name calling, or even death wishes, ‘nuanced discussion’.

This place would be terribly boring if everyone
agreed with me. And so I do enjoy a nuanced discussion, a little disagreement, a difference of opinion, because it usually confirms I was right all along. ;)

If we removed all the negativity about Morrissey it would just be Zoom, Malarkey and Wild Turkey talking to each other.

Lol. See my post above.

Btw, I believe there are a few more that actually like Morrissey that bother to post here, not just us three.

For you to have the pleasure of being able to presently remark on it.

Fortunately, he doesn’t hear your venting or your comment above.

That’s the difference.

I've just been out for my daily 5K run listening to 25 live which was great but was also thinking that I do find it intriguing though why people like yourself /Thewlis/Gordy/ Skanky thing are happy to spend so much time on a site that your hero detests.

Unfortunately, true.

I would say venting and repeatedly making criticisms that have no positive benefit as interchangeable.

Sure. I’m not debating that here.

Agree. He wouldn’t know about it. But I do think the discussion of his art and especially the praise given to him does indeed serve a higher/good and beneficial purpose. Unlike the repeated criticism/venting, which has yet to serve any purpose. Even therapeutic, because the patients, i.e.,the ones venting, are never cured by the continuous venting. It seems at best to be a temporary release, but then, they always come back for more.

I wouldn’t call the repeated criticism, venting, name calling, or even death wishes, ‘nuanced discussion’.

This place would be terribly boring if everyone
agreed with me. And so I do enjoy a nuanced discussion, a little disagreement, a difference of opinion, because it usually confirms I was right all along. ;)
Like I said, the purpose is not to receive ‘positive benefits’, other than the discussion in itself.

I agree with you, and have agreed all along, that that type of demented behavior (death wishes and name calling) should have no place here. But what I meant by nuanced discussion is critique and praise.

And people, even those who are the most frustrated, come back because we all love Morrissey. And I hope people will continue to come here and express their opinions, positive or negative, and not feel stifled.

demented behavior (death wishes and name calling) should have no place here.

Now wait a minute. Morrissey himself has wished death on people and called people names, so why should that behavior have no place on a Morrissey forum? No offense, Samsa, but you seem like an Anglican vicar at a church social—"now, now, everyone, let's keep it polite, but a little bit of courteous questioning and constructive criticism does have its place." How about some caustic wit and bitter misanthropy for heaven's sake?

My opinion is that some of the haters, such as Brummie Boy, give this place some much-needed leaven. On the death of Steve Wright, No. 27 criticized his goofy grin and "appalling zest for life" (brilliant) while Morrissey was blandly eulogizing the sort of kooky DJ his younger self wanted to hang. And yes, that's a criticism of Morrissey. I miss the acerbic and flippant Morrissey. But I also respect his right to change his mind, or listen to his manager's counsel, or whatever.

Last edited:
I've just been out for my daily 5K run listening to 25 live which was great but was also thinking that I do find it intriguing though why people like yourself /Thewlis/Gordy/ Skanky thing are happy to spend so much time on a site that your hero detests.

I don’t see him as my ‘hero’.

Maybe you put him up on a pedestal from where he can do no wrong. And then when
he does, you wonder why.

I don’t see him as my ‘hero’.

Maybe you put him up on a pedestal from where he can do no wrong. And then when
he does, you wonder why.

Nah, seen him many times since the 80's but seen Buzzcocks, New Order, Bunnymen, far more times so he's 4th on my list of favourite artists from that era, so no pedestal for him to fall from really, he's just another artist whose music I like.

Like I said, the purpose is not to receive ‘positive benefits’, other than the discussion in itself.
I prefer my discussions to have some positive
benefits. Which is one of the reasons why, more or less, can not be bothered to criticize what Morrissey does or does not do.
I agree with you, and have agreed all along, that that type of demented behavior (death wishes and name calling) should have no place here. But what I meant by nuanced discussion is critique and praise.
I don’t mind it either, because I know it’s subjective anyway.
And people, even those who are the most frustrated, come back because we all love Morrissey. And I hope people will continue to come here and express their opinions, positive or negative, and not feel stifled.

In regards to his art, sure.

Nah, seen him many times since the 80's but seen Buzzcocks, New Order, Bunnymen, far more times so he's 4th on my list of favourite artists from that era, so no pedestal for him to fall from really, he's just another artist whose music I like.

yes, I don’t see him that way either. But neither do I see him as ‘just another artist’.

yes, I don’t see him that way either. But neither do I see him as ‘just another artist’.

Well each to there own, I generally go see him when he's touring round here but I tend to travel far and wide to see bands like New Order and Buzzcocks. Currently toying with the idea of going to Australia for the Buzzcocks tour this year.

Well each to there own, I generally go see him when he's touring round here but I tend to travel far and wide to see bands like New Order and Buzzcocks. Currently toying with the idea of going to Australia for the Buzzcocks tour this year.

Yeah, enjoyable, but they don’t move me in the same way. You should go.

Yeah, enjoyable, but they don’t move me in the same way. You should go.

Wouldn't expect them to, everyone has different tastes, Buzzcocks, Joy Division and New Order are part of what I call my growing up years so will always be a big part of my life until death us do part. Bunnymen, Smiths, Morrissey etc came later so it's a different mental relationship.

Now wait a minute. Morrissey himself has wished death on people and called people names, so why should that behavior have no place on a Morrissey forum?

Because, as far as I know, Morrissey doesn’t
continuously hang around on websites dedicated to those artists or people that he dislikes just to call them names or wish them death.

And also, just because Morrissey
does or says something, it doesn’t always make it right, nor should it be used as one’s excuse as to why they did or continue to do the same thing. Especially when they can’t pull it off with the same wit or humor.
No offense, Samsa, but you seem like an Anglican vicar at a church social—"now, now, everyone, let's keep it polite, but a little bit of courteous questioning and constructive criticism does have its place." How about some caustic wit and bitter misanthropy for heaven's sake?

My opinion is that some of the haters, such as Brummie Boy, give this place some much-needed leaven. On the death of Steve Wright, No. 27 criticized his goofy grin and "appalling zest for life" (brilliant) while Morrissey was blandly eulogizing the sort of kooky DJ his younger self wanted to hang. And yes, that's a criticism of Morrissey. I miss the acerbic and flippant Morrissey. But I also respect his right to change his mind, or listen to his manager's counsel, or whatever.

Wouldn't expect them to, everyone has different tastes, Buzzcocks, Joy Division and New Order are part of what I call my growing up years so will always be a big part of my life until death us do part. Bunnymen, Smiths, Morrissey etc came later so it's a different mental relationship.

Yep. And I said they don’t move me in the same way. I didn’t say they don’t move me, especially if you’re going to bring Joy Division into the conversation. Yeah, for me, it’s JD, Magazine, The Fall, and Buzzcocks, that are the best from the north, oh and that other band The Smiths, they weren’t too bad either.
But all those bands really had their own distinct thing going on.

Last edited:
Now wait a minute. Morrissey himself has wished death on people and called people names, so why should that behavior have no place on a Morrissey forum? No offense, Samsa, but you seem like an Anglican vicar at a church social—"now, now, everyone, let's keep it polite, but a little bit of courteous questioning and constructive criticism does have its place." How about some caustic wit and bitter misanthropy for heaven's sake?

I’d much rather be seen as an Anglican vicar than a snarky edge lord that I get the feeling that you adore. Other than that, Zoom beat me to it, but I agree with everything she said to you.

I prefer my discussions to have some positive
benefits. Which is one of the reasons why, more or less, can not be bothered to criticize what Morrissey does or does not do.

I don’t mind it either, because I know it’s subjective anyway.

In regards to his art, sure.
We’ve reached the end of the road and I think we might agree with each other much more than we think.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom