Morrissey Central "THE LAST OF IRELAND" (MARCH 17, 2024)

8acdcf654615afd6d083234f6c91cc30450c194d.jpg

St Patrick's Day, 2024

On Pembroke Road look out for my ghost,
Dishevelled with shoes untied,
Playing through the railings with little children
Whose children have long since died.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let us hope, indeed, it is not the last of Ireland.

In Michel Houellebecq's Submission, after the Islamist party takes power in France, the Jewish girlfriend of the main character, François, is, naturally, thinking of fleeing to Israel. François's response is, “There’s no Israel for me.” The same applies to most of us.

"Islam's borders are bloody and so are its innards. The fundamental problem for the West is not Islamic fundamentalism. It is Islam, a different civilisation whose people are convinced of the superiority of their culture and obsessed with the inferiority of their power." - Samuel Huntington.

Understandable. I was tempted to trash the house when I was younger, when I saw the shitty food my mum was serving up sometimes.
Fray Bentos pies? No way. You may put mine straight in the bin, love.
Champ and corned beef? Mince & onions? I’m getting PTSD and diarrhoea just thinking about it.

Sadly, Ireland’s only vinyl record maker went into liquidation last week, affecting some upcoming releases from Irish and international artists -

The last of Ireland's indigenous vinyl makers, among other lasts on the bonfire, I'm sure.

The second half of that poem/lyric in particular is de profundis.

On this St. Patrick's Day, and with Patrick being Morrissey's (other) middle name, I’ll add to an item I posted in the 2022 Killarney tour date thread about a couple of possible origins of the Morrissey surname - https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...2022-post-show.149958/page-14#post-1987479422

Geoffrey De Marisco also features in a book on the history of medieval Knights Templar and Hospitaller in Ireland called Soldiers of Christ. Certain grades of these knights served the Crusades to the Holy Land, which lasted from the late 1100s to 1291, when Muslims ousted them from Israel. That of course brings a whole other perspective on what’s going on there now, incidentally.

Knights not gone off to fight held or acquired land, in part for the rest to come and go. On the bank of the river Maigue in Adare, County Limerick, Desmond Castle was built around 1200 by this Anglo-Norman knight, Geoffrey De Marisco. He did not stay for long, after having an argument with the Bishop of Limerick. His go-getting life was significant enough to have been outlined in the Dictionary of Irish Biographies. He interacted with quite a few of the other main movers in Irish history of the day.

Some suspect he was responsible for building Nenagh Castle too. That link mentions St. John the Baptist Church in Hospital, a village in Limerick, and a known settlement of the Knights Hospitaller. While Geoffrey De Marisco’s foundational role there in 1215 is not in dispute, there is not full agreement about the identity of the effigual figure of a knight, with armour and shield, on a graveyard slab now leaning against the church wall. It is generally accepted though, that the middle figure in the stained glass window panel of that church is meant to represent Geoffrey De Marisco, with Holy Land scenery in the background and the Maltese flag flying overhead (the knights' orders segued into the Order of Malta).

1710717396341.png

Therefore Morrissey is the end of a family line of knights in shining armour Q.E.D.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day to all! ☘️☘️☘️
e06a795b82010509673fb214bf20ae1d.jpg

Last edited:
The second half of that poem/lyric in particular is de profundis.

On this St. Patrick's Day, and with Patrick being Morrissey's (other) middle name, I’ll add to an item I posted in the 2022 Killarney tour date thread about a couple of possible origins of the Morrissey surname - https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...2022-post-show.149958/page-14#post-1987479422

Geoffrey De Marisco also features in a book on the history of medieval Knights Templar and Hospitaller in Ireland called Soldiers of Christ. Certain grades of these knights served the Crusades to the Holy Land, which lasted from the late 1100s to 1291, when Muslims ousted them from Israel. That of course brings a whole other perspective on what’s going on there now, incidentally.

Knights not gone off to fight held or acquired land, in part for the rest to come and go. On the bank of the river Maigue in Adare, County Limerick, Desmond Castle was built around 1200 by this Anglo-Norman knight, Geoffrey De Marisco. He did not stay for long, after having an argument with the Bishop of Limerick. His go-getting life was significant enough to have been outlined in the Dictionary of Irish Biographies. He interacted with quite a few of the other main movers in Irish history of the day.

Some suspect he was responsible for building Nenagh Castle too. That link mentions St. John the Baptist Church in Hospital, a village in Limerick, and a known settlement of the Knights Hospitaller. While Geoffrey De Marisco’s foundational role there in 1215 is not in dispute, there is not full agreement about the identity of the effigual figure of a knight, with armour and shield, on a graveyard slab now leaning against the church wall. It is generally accepted though, that the middle figure in the stained glass window panel of that church is meant to represent Geoffrey De Marisco, with Holy Land scenery in the background and the Maltese flag flying overhead (the knights' orders segued into the Order of Malta).

Therefore Morrissey is the end of a family line of knights in shining armour Q.E.D.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day to all! ☘️☘️☘️
e06a795b82010509673fb214bf20ae1d.jpg

You seem to have a problem dealing with the reality of the present day.

As it's St Patrick's ......
(and I think M would approve of this one)

Oscar Wilde "My Voice"

Within this restless, hurried, modern world
We took our hearts' full pleasure--You and I,
And now the white sails of our ship are furled,
And spent the lading of our argosy.

Wherefore my cheeks before their time are wan,
For very weeping is my gladness fled,
Sorrow hath paled my lip's vermilion,
And Ruin draws the curtains of my bed.

But all this crowded life has been to thee
No more than lyre, or lute, or subtle spell
Of viols, or the music of the sea
That sleeps, a mimic echo, in the shell.

"If Ever You Go To Dublin Town"

If you ever go to Dublin town
In a hundred years or so
Inquire for me in Baggot street
And what I was like to know
O he was the queer one
Fol dol the di do
He was a queer one
And I tell you

My great-grandmother knew him well,
He asked her to come and call
On him in his flat and she giggled at the thought
Of a young girl's lovely fall.
O he was dangerous,
Fol dol the di do,
He was dangerous,
And I tell you

On Pembroke Road look out for me ghost,

O he was a nice man,
Fol do the di do,
He was a nice man
And I tell you

Go into a pub and listen well
If my voice still echoes there,
Ask the men what their grandsires thought
And tell them to answer fair,
O he was eccentric,
Fol do the di do,
He was eccentric
And I tell you

He had the knack of making men feel
As small as they really were
Which meant as great as God had made them
But as males they disliked his air.
O he was a proud one,
Fol do the di do,
He was a proud one
And I tell you

If ever you go to Dublin town
In a hundred years or so
Sniff for my personality,
Is it Vanity's vapour now?
O he was a vain one,
Fol dol the di do,
He was a vain one
And I tell you

I saw his name with a hundred more
In a book in the library,
It said he had never fully achieved
His potentiality.
O he was slothful,
Fol do the di do,
He was slothful
And I tell you

He knew that posterity had no use
For anything but the soul,
The lines that speak the passionate heart,
The spirit that lives alone.
O he was a lone one,
Fol do the di do
O he was a lone one,
And I tell you

O he was a lone one,
Fol do the di do
Yet he lived happily
And I tell you.

“Christ beside me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ within me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me.“

1710715640211.jpeg

Happy St Patrick’s Day!

On Pembroke Road look out for me ghost,

So why these lines?

They are haunting in more than one sense.

It's the lines about the children that I've been ruminating on this evening. How could children have their own children, who have long since died?

Is one reading that we all would love to return to being little children? When we experienced innocence - before the world has us in its vice-like grip? Or that we leave parts of ourselves behind in certain places.

Is it perhaps that the other children he is playing with are also ghosts, frozen in time (at a time when they were most contented)

Some of those people would have had children who have long since died. I like the image of them all playing merrily for eternity.

Anyone have any other interpretations of this?

Last edited:
So why these lines?

They are haunting in more than one sense.

It's the lines about the children that I've been ruminating on this evening. How could children have their own children, who have long since died?

Is one reading that we all return to being little children? When we experienced innocence - before the world has us in its vice-like grip?

Anyone have any other interpretations of this?
A ghost can time-travel. The poem ends happily. He's just being enigmatic.

It's long over-due counter-terrorism asking Sam Esty Rayner exactly what was meant by it.

This is not being enigmatic. This is confusing nonsense that implies bad motives lie behind a message that the rest of us take up as innocent and artistic. The verse offered so much potential for wider cultural reflection. This reaction is more suggestive of the contributor's obsessive mind than of anything in the parent message :tears:

This is not being enigmatic. This is confusing nonsense that implies bad motives lie behind a message that the rest of us take up as innocent and artistic. The verse offered so much potential for wider cultural reflection. This reaction is more suggestive of the contributor's obsessive mind than of anything in the parent message :tears:

Bit late for that GH. The "rest of you" clearly didn't.

:lightbulb:They can indeed time-travel!

Yes, he is leaving some breadcrumbs and it's one of the wonderful things I dearly love about Morrissey. He's opened up so many points of interest for me, whether it be literature, cinema, music or art.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom