Perth Cancelled

Very disappointing to receive notification of cancellation 8hrs before the Perth Australia show, which has been sold out for months. "Unforeseen circumstances" hours before a gig is really not good enough, particularly with people travelling for the concert. Pissed off is one way to describe the situation.

Screenshot from an anonymous person:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
At the Melbourne Show he said he took issue with how he was billed as “nostalgic” on the upcoming shows board where all the other artists were labelled “pop” or “rock”.

Ah that’s ok then, f*** the x thousand fans who were looking forward to seeing him.

So that’s a reason for cancelling shows? As he was called nostalgic? tour is called 40 years of Morrissey ffs! Not like he was promoting a new album. Keep shitting on the people who have supported and followed you for those 40 years. He’s an absolute bellend

It's just a cheap excuse. He was probably drunk and couldn't care less about performing. Same with the rest of Asia. People are insignificant to him. Someone must have the courage to confront him.

It's just a cheap excuse. He was probably drunk and couldn't care less about performing. Same with the rest of Asia. People are insignificant to him. Someone must have the courage to confront him.
I can't think of anyone more consistently confronted with this than the band. Do you think he at least pays them for the canceled shows?

Nostalgic Perth

I am going to return to commenting positively after this - for the sake of my own sanity and in the spirit of supporting any other fans disappointed and dragged down by Moz cancellations.

So Moz advised Melbourne attendees last night that he cancelled 8 hours before the Perth gig because the venue (Concert Hall) offended him - by somehow referencing somewhere in their advertising that fans could look forward to a 'Nostalgic' night ahead. Now nostalgia is a word that I don't personally find offensive and one that quite fits my years of adoring the music of The Smiths and Moz ("a feeling of pleasure and also slight sadness when you think about things that happened in the past"). And putting aside that this is a '40 years of Moz tour' (clearly no irony there), I thought I'd list some of the other performers/bands/artists who I had the pleasure of seeing at the Perth Concert Hall, all without cancelling 8 hours before their show despite the potential of a career-destroying 'nostalgic' label:

Henry Rollins - a big Moz fan of course :), Violent Femmes, Marc Almond, Nick Cave, Ben Harper, Ben Folds, Gillian Welch, Joan Baez, Macy Gray, Emmylou Harris, Chris Cornell, Rufus Wainwright, Antony & the Johnsons, P J Harvey, Elvis Costello, Sting, REM...

Right, that was cathartic and I feel better now. Gonna shut my mouth about the Perth cancellation good and proper - forever.

Very disappointing to receive notification of cancellation 8hrs before the Perth Australia show, which has been sold out for months. "Unforeseen circumstances" hours before a gig is really not good enough, particularly with people travelling for the concert. Pissed off is one way to describe the situation.

full
At least you're getting your tickets reimbursed. Last November my family went to see him in LA and he walked off the stage after about 25 minutes never to return. Finally one of his bandmates came out and told everyone to go home. No reason given. For a few days after that, the venue said the concert would be rescheduled at a date TDB. Then crickets, and no way to contact anyone about it...

Nostalgic Perth

I am going to return to commenting positively after this - for the sake of my own sanity and in the spirit of supporting any other fans disappointed and dragged down by Moz cancellations.

So Moz advised Melbourne attendees last night that he cancelled 8 hours before the Perth gig because the venue (Concert Hall) offended him - by somehow referencing somewhere in their advertising that fans could look forward to a 'Nostalgic' night ahead. Now nostalgia is a word that I don't personally find offensive and one that quite fits my years of adoring the music of The Smiths and Moz ("a feeling of pleasure and also slight sadness when you think about things that happened in the past"). And putting aside that this is a '40 years of Moz tour' (clearly no irony there), I thought I'd list some of the other performers/bands/artists who I had the pleasure of seeing at the Perth Concert Hall, all without cancelling 8 hours before their show despite the potential of a career-destroying 'nostalgic' label:

Henry Rollins - a big Moz fan of course :), Violent Femmes, Marc Almond, Nick Cave, Ben Harper, Ben Folds, Gillian Welch, Joan Baez, Macy Gray, Emmylou Harris, Chris Cornell, Rufus Wainwright, Antony & the Johnsons, P J Harvey, Elvis Costello, Sting, REM...

Right, that was cathartic and I feel better now. Gonna shut my mouth about the Perth cancellation good and proper - forever.
I'm pretty sure I've see highbrow reviews of The Smiths' songs identify a strain of nostalgia running through many of them and helping to weave the spell. I'm also pretty sure him saying that the website classified his show as nostalgia was quite separate from the logistical issues that caused it to be cancelled. But it's hard. You'd be sore. Condolences :flowers:

At least you're getting your tickets reimbursed. Last November my family went to see him in LA and he walked off the stage after about 25 minutes never to return. Finally one of his bandmates came out and told everyone to go home. No reason given. For a few days after that, the venue said the concert would be rescheduled at a date TDB. Then crickets, and no way to contact anyone about it...

Would you go to see his Quarry show in LA or nah?

The Source: British singer Morrissey disappointed as Perth venue scraps gig‘

So it’s the venue that scrapped the gig? Well, that’s a different take. Some ‘source’.

'Nostalgic' Morrissey stops show to complain about Australian tour: 'Blah blah blah...'

Legendary British performer Morrissey stopped a concert in Melbourne on Monday to complain to fans about his current Australian tour.

full

The article says he canceled the show

The former Smiths frontman cancelled his show at the Perth Concert Hall last Friday “due to unforeseen logistical issues”.

After 40 years of listening to Morrissey, I need to 'take pause' to allow my poor, dented heart time to recover.

" ... only slightly less than I used to."

Hey!
A Swedish fan here. Sorry to hear about all the cancelled shows... it seems that "that is the norm for Morrissey", so for me, he should play at the pub next door, otherwise I wouldn't move my ass. Much better to see Johnny Marr, who very very very rarely has cancelled a show.

That aside, somebody was asking if the musicians get paid for the cancelled shows. As far as I know, it all depents on the contract the musicians have with the artist.

Most musicians will get paid for the shows played. No play no pay.

Others have a monthly salary, meaning that they have an exclusivity contract with the artist and they are not "allowed" to play with anybody else. But if they do, once the main artist calls... you have to play the main artist's gig. They usually have an extra pay for the shows played. This happens very rarely, but it happens here and there, and mainly to prevent the artist/management to keep an eye on musicians for the next tour.

And others, they have contracts for the duration of the tour. This tour is 5 weeks, so the salary will be X amount per week, independently of how many shows are performed.

Maybe some people here can get hold of that information about Morrissey's musicians' type of contract???

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom