When we're in your scholarly room...

Well Nightandday... That's ok if are touchy and not sceptic enough but you have a twisted mind as well : as you could imagine, I don't spend my time searching for morrissey's lyrics in books.
But if you're bored by night : have a go via any litterary software research to be certain. Maybe you can find it in Moby dick too.
Very gladly, it would be nice if you can suggest literary software reserach sites, they would definitely come in handy for other purposes, too.
Anyway : the quote from Sheila looks more obvious (if it is not a hoax).
Well, allow me to be sceptical due to 1) the contents of rest of the post, and 2) the poster. :D

well for the software : I don't really know.
But it exist in french it is called treasure of french litterature (sorry for french litterature only, which you have never heard of, but anyway maybe you can find something close in english).
We really are in a sholarly room, aren't we?

http://atilf.atilf.fr/tlf.htm

I think "Don't Make Fun Of Daddy's Voice" might be related to "Hop On Pop". Dr.Seuss-eeeeee is me.

A long shot but anyway. As you might know the name "Isak" means "He laughed" and comes from the bible. I was thinking as there might be a connection with the wonderful song "He Cried", first as the title is the opposite of the first in a way. Secondly it's about shame, and possibly religion when, which suits very well in Morrissey's catalogue. You know the lyric and the story so, is it just wishful thinking?

Cheers

Just thought I’d resurrect this thread since I just came across a line which may be something or nothing. I’m reading the autobiography of Kenneth Williams and at one point he quotes from his diaries, it’s a sad piece about being lonely and empty:

“How to explain that I only experienced vicariously, never at firsthand, that the sharing of a life is what makes a life and that I cannot share because I dare not risk the vulnerability involved. Now I am thinking all the while of death in some shape or other. Every day is something to be got through. All the recipes of the past are no longer valid. I’ve spent all my life in the mind. I have entered into nothing.

Not the most specific of lines perhaps, but Morrissey did read the diaries and talked about them in a 1995 interview:

When we discuss the issue of camp, which informs so much of his artistic sensibility, right down to the title of one of his solo albums: Bona Drag ('bona' meaning attractive or sexy in gay argot), he veers off into the Kenneth Williams diaries: 'It was quite gruesome, quite gruesome. I've read it a couple of times and each time it's been like a hammer on the head. An astonishingly depressing book. It's incredibly witty and well done, but the hollow ring it has throughout is murderous, absolutely murderous. I think he was always depressed, because the diaries spread over a 40-year period and even at the beginning of them he was saying 'why am I alive, what's the point?' 'And this was 1952. It's astonishing that he lasted so long.'

I wonder how Morrissey stores his quotes or does he just have a photographic memory?! I wonder if he underlines things as he reads or if he just copies lines/ paragraphs out at the end. Interesting.

You've probably sussed this one out already...or I may have already told you.I meant to if I didn't.Thats devotion..well sort of.
Retrousse nose is stolen from John Betjeman's The olympic girl.
'she stands in strong, athletic pose, and wrinkles her retrousse nose.'
I wonder does Mozza have similar taste?

Plus I was reading a Wilde biography and I noticed "Oscar Wilde was bored before he even began." Plus. 'I need hardly say, theres something casual in your way."
Am I just being silly?

Dawn x

A long shot but anyway. As you might know the name "Isak" means "He laughed" and comes from the bible. I was thinking as there might be a connection with the wonderful song "He Cried", first as the title is the opposite of the first in a way. Secondly it's about shame, and possibly religion when, which suits very well in Morrissey's catalogue. You know the lyric and the story so, is it just wishful thinking?

Cheers
I don't see many songs about religion in Morrissey's catalogue, certainly far fewer than many other pop/rock artists, and not that many about shame either. :confused:

As for Isak, I'm not sure what you mean, but yes, it sounds like a longshot.

You've probably sussed this one out already...or I may have already told you.I meant to if I didn't.Thats devotion..well sort of.
Retrousse nose is stolen from John Betjeman's The olympic girl.
'she stands in strong, athletic pose, and wrinkles her retrousse nose.'
I wonder does Mozza have similar taste?

Plus I was reading a Wilde biography and I noticed "Oscar Wilde was bored before he even began." Plus. 'I need hardly say, theres something casual in your way."
Am I just being silly?

Dawn x
No you're not. When was this biography first published?

As for 'retrousse nose', it's not stolen from John Betjeman because it's an expression, not something that John Betjeman invented. Other people have used it beside/before him. http://www.thefreedictionary.com/retrousse

Last edited:
I wonder how Morrissey stores his quotes or does he just have a photographic memory?! I wonder if he underlines things as he reads or if he just copies lines/ paragraphs out at the end. Interesting.
Morrissey is said to have had a notebook he carried around with him, where he would write down some lines form time to time. I think I read it in either in "Songs That Saved Your Life" or one of the magazine specials about The Smiths.

Is it really? I'm terribly un educated. x

It was published in the 1940's. Thats basically all thats left of it no title nothing. Smells nice though..
There is more in there..something about rough girls and delicate boys.

When in doubt I check on your answers..you seem to be the sum of all smithdom.

Have fun
Dawn x

I'm totally impressed Cod. Although I can't decide who should be adored more: you or Morrissey. In dubio pro the one who wants to be adored;)
However "At last I am born" is a shitty translation of Goethes exclamation that is much more life-affirmative and effusive (if that's an english expression, I'm not sure). In Mozzas case it's more like: "Okay, this is the final hour but, well, thank god at last..." (I'm exaggerating here). Bot some Italian forumist mentioned before that those lines on the cover of Ringleader are not idiomatic so... in fact that's a little strange because I always thought cocky Morrissey would be somebody to double-check if there are any mistakes, ask three experts in romance studies, Visconti and Umberto Eco if available;) Because really: it's embarrassing.

would you care to run all that by us again? because i've absolutely no idea what you are talking about. just exactly what should Morrissey be embarrassed about?

Is it really? I'm terribly un educated. x
LOL No, I just did a quick research (i.e. googled it) to find if it's mentioned in any dictionaries. Check the online dictionary I provided a link to, it has the 'References in classic literature' section, and there are quotes containing the word 'retrousse' from works by Charlotte Bronte, Anne Bronte, Frank L.Baum and Richard La Galienne (I don't know who he is).
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/_/search/Search.aspx?By=0&SearchBy=4&Word=retrousse

Morrissey is an avid reader of the classics, so it's not surprising he's familir with words such as 'retrousse', whether he came across it reading Betjeman (probably), the Brontes (quite likely), or someone else.

It was published in the 1940's. Thats basically all thats left of it no title nothing. Smells nice though..
There is more in there..something about rough girls and delicate boys.
That's it then! Morrissey must have read it and remembered a few phrases. 'bored before he even began' - that's too similar to be a coincidence. It's a pity don't know the title or the author (?)

When in doubt I check on your answers..you seem to be the sum of all smithdom.
:o :o :o

Back
Top Bottom