SOMETHING IS SQUEEZING MY SKULL: Full Lyrics

I don't think so. These are drugs for hormonal imbalance. For HIV treatment you need to take anti-viral drugs, do decrease the virus level in your system and avoid the destruction of the immune system as long as possible.:)

Maybe I'm confusing high doses of testosterone in the early treatment of HIV with HRT. Gosh, with the internet and all you'd think I could take a minute to research this before posting. :rolleyes: Maybe I should just drop dead instead of trying to guess.

I really love this song. AND the title. Sounds like a migrane ... I've had a few that make you feel like your head is in a steel vise.

Maybe I'm confusing high doses of testosterone in the early treatment of HIV with HRT. Gosh, with the internet and all you'd think I could take a minute to research this before posting. :rolleyes: Maybe I should just drop dead instead of trying to guess.

you were sort of right..http://www.thewellproject.org/en_US/Womens_Center/Hormones_and_HIV.jsp
It says HIV can affect your body's ability to produce hormones so some HIV+ people are put on HRT.

Or maybe you were confusing HRT with NRTIs (nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors) which is a class of HIV medications?

Anyway, the more I listen to it, the more I love this song. :) One of my best friends was just put on zoloft a few weeks ago and the first few days he was complaining to me about a slight throbbing in his head. He told me if felt like "electrical storms" were going on in his brain. I wasn't familiar with this being a possible side effect, so I just thought he was being paranoid....until Morrissey debuted this song ;)

Last edited:
you were sort of right..http://www.thewellproject.org/en_US/Womens_Center/Hormones_and_HIV.jsp
It says HIV can affect your body's ability to produce hormones some HIV+ people are put on HRT.

Or maybe you were confusing HRT with NRTIs (nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors) which is a class of HIV medications?

Anyway, the more I listen to it, the more I love this song. :) One of my best friends was just put on zoloft a few weeks ago and the first few days he was complaining to me about a slight throbbing in his head. He told me if felt like "electrical storms" were going on in his brain. I wasn't familiar with this being a possible side effect, so I just thought he was being paranoid....until Morrissey debuted this song ;)

my mother was on zoloft for a while... she took herself off of it. she said she'd get sudden zaps in her head...

i can't stop listening to the song. anyone else completely hooked on it?

It says HIV can affect your body's ability to produce hormones so some HIV+ people are put on HRT.

Oopps, I didn't know about HRT treatment in the context of HIV-patients :o - still HRT is not used to treat early stages of HIV-infection, drugs like NRTIs are (they are a class of anti-viral drugs), oh well ... :p

ahh MOZ...only you to come up with this !! :D - the things we learn and it's all your fault :D :p

hey Mell, you should show this song to your friend. Is he/she a MOz fan?

well...looks like I didn't know something I should, so :o

...did you say drop dead ? :D :p

Oopps, I didn't know about HRT treatment in the context of HIV-patients :o - still HRT is not used to treat early stages of HIV-infection, drugs like NRTIs are (they are a class of anti-viral drugs), oh well ... :p

ahh MOZ...only you to come up with this !! :D - the things we learn and it's all your fault :D :p

hey Mell, you should show this song to your friend. Is he/she a MOz fan?

I think you were both sorta right...yes, NRTIs are the drug treatment for HIV but it does sound like sometimes the HRT is given if the patient needs it too (but not to specifically target HIV).

I am still going to go out on a limb and still stick to my feeling that he's talking about hormone replacement therapy drugs not habit reversal training.

Justme, yes, I did tell my friend about this song. I think I made him watch a youtube of it too. He's been dragged now to about 3 Moz shows with me and likes him but not crazy for him like I am. He said his zoloft pain was not like someone squeezing his skull, though. :o

I'm doing very well
I can blackout the present and the past now
I know by now you think I should have straightened myself out
Thank you good day

Hey mell, regarding our earlier cock talk, doesn't this stanza make you a tad nervous? :p

haha why? 'Cause the bastard straightened himself out instead of letting us help? Moz don't be so selfish!!! :p :D

No, it insinuates he isn't straight. Nervous moment when I read it. :D

Okay. We can take in the direction of the gutter. It’s a song about drugs. So let’s say “drugs” is the key to unlocking the meaning of at least this stanza. We know he sings in a different song “I’ve been drug through 15 miles of shit.” Oh hell I can’t do this here, you’ll think I’m as insane as that Diana nut. Never mind. It’s a pretty song.

Only lovers?

Well, also "there is no love in modern life".

I've heard this song live every show night since Strasbourg. This is my take on what I think Moz is singing:

I’m doing very well.
I can black out the present and the past now
I know you think by now I should have straightened myself out
Thank you, drop dead.

There is no hope in modern life.

I’m doing very well.
It’s a miracle I’ve made it even this far.

The motion of taxis excites me.
----------------------- invite me (?)
Something is squeezing my skull,
Something I can barely describe.
There is no love in modern life.

Oh, something is squeezing my skull,
Something I can’t fight.
There are no friends in modern life.

Diazepam, valium, temazepam, lithium, HRT, ECT.
How long must I stay on this stuff?

Don’t give me anymore! (repeat )
You SWORE you would not give me anymore!

Don’t give me anymore! (repeat)
Please don’t give me anymore!
Don’t give me anymore! (repeat)
------------------------------------

During clinical rotations, I've listened to patients on 5150 holds (involuntary detainment by the state for up to 72 hours if determined to be a danger to self or others) complain of the various unwanted effects of being on lithium and benzodiazepines: feeling disconnected, in a fog, not like themselves, zombified, out of it, sleepy, etc. But no one has ever described the unpleasant feelings as something squeezing their skulls! So, I take Morrissey's description to mean that modern life is so pressurising that it feels like something is squeezing one's skull, and hence the reason for mood stabilizers, anxiolytics and anti-depression Tx. Modern life is very stressful and depressing for many.

Even though Morrissey has had a wee word with me about Ativan (a benzodiazepine like diazepam and temazepam) and it is a med I have administered, I don't delude myself that he is actually addressing me personally with this song. But it makes me smile to imagine him raving to me not to give him these meds -- can you imagine Morrissey as my patient?! Actually, it would be hellish. Maybe we'd take a page from the Ramones and just keep him sedated 24/7. ;) But otherwise, this is a brilliant song. This would make a better single than "That's How People Throw Up".

I originally thought "Something Is Squeezing My Skull" was a silly title, but I changed my mind when I actually heard the song live.

Well the song is an anagramical wonderland, but living in a house with no doors, this is my favorite: Silly King Squeezes Muting Ohms. :)

This is a song about the frustrations of having to be on all those medications. While the medications help with the depression/OCD and other symptoms there are some nasty side effects which can be almost as bad as the symptoms of the illness. Sometimes you just have to tell it like it is.

I've been on a number of antidepressants and experianced all sorts of horrible symptoms, weight loss, insomnia, nausea, blood pressure problems, dizziness, etc.,.. I know what he's talking about,..I just think he could have captured it in a line that lends itself more to music,.. I love everything else about the song, unfortunately, thats' a big part of it...

Back
Top Bottom