Now My Heart Is Full?

I think the lyrics explain themselves well.

Its one of my absolute faves.Its a masterpiece.

'The whole line has an almost funeral-like tone to it; whenever I hear those lines I imagine a grave faced family dressed in black, uncomfortably seated in the front room of the 'house' and akwardly shuffling away from the useless joking of 'the Father', who has attempted to lighten the mood after the death of a loved one, or some other traumatic event. I think Morrissey is inhabiting the role of 'Father', and 'everyone in the house' are the listeners, fans, critics etc, who 'empty the room' because once again, after all these years, they are still having to listen to the wry, self deprecating whinings of an old man.'

I completely disagree with this. I feel that the song tells the tale of a young person playing with their own fate, possibly deciding to take some form of drastic action upon themselves..

'your father cracks a joke andin the usual way empties the room'

I think this line is very nostalgic. If my theory is to be believed, it seems that the protagonist is saying this with a hint of melaoncholy - 'remember when you're father cracked jokes that made you cringe? well, you'll miss it when you're gone'.

As the song progresses into the chorus, 'tell all of my friends - i don't have too many...', I think Moz is emphasising the diversity of thought when in such a state of mind - from wollowing on family nostalgia to complete determination to execute the deed..

Beautiful song, anyhow.

What do you get out of this masterpice? what is it actually about?

:)

Well, I think it is clearly Morrissey re-embracing Smithdom again - hence all the Smiths-tinged imagery within the song. This was no doubt inspired by his (then) renewed friendship with Johnny Marr for the first time since the breakup - and his unabashed happiness at this happening. (Joyce told the press Morrissey and Marr were "back together" at this time, and there were strong rumours Marr actually played on Billy Budd.)

The father at the beginning = the older Morrissey, post-Smiths, now a pop father-figure.

The house that needs rebuilding = the old house of Smithdom.

The rain-coated lovers' puny brothers = the loyal Smiths/Moz fans.

Dallow, Spicer, Pinkie, Cubitt = the Smiths, who rushed to danger, only to split and wind up nowhere.

Patric Doonan = a Smiths cover star he was never able to use (due to the split).

Bunny = Johnny.

And "Did you pass by?" is directed to the Smiths fans who abandoned him during his solo career...

There is also, of course, a fairly blatant homo-erotic pun in the title...

Last edited:
Q: One of the symbolic tracks from Vauxhall And I, Now My Heart Is Full, claimed that your heart was full, that you felt fulfilled. Could you have written this song some years earlier ?
M: I don't think so. This song was the definitive expression of my change to adulthood, of my maturity. And, to be honest, I was very happy to be able to sing this text, to have reached this state. After this song I could perfectly retire: I've come full circle.
Q: Could you write this song today ?
M: No, not now. It wouldn't fit, time doesn't lend itself to it. Though my heart is full (smile). Thank whom ? Nobody. If I'm happy it's an inner, intimate happiness. I'm at peace with myself.
Les Inrockuptibles,September 1995

Last edited:
He ate too much trans fat, so now his heart is full.

Q: One of the symbolic tracks from Vauxhall And I, Now My Heart Is Full, claimed that your heart was full, that you felt fulfilled. Could you have written this song some years earlier ?
M: I don't think so. This song was the definitive expression of my change to adulthood, of my maturity. And, to be honest, I was very happy to be able to sing this text, to have reached this state. After this song I could perfectly retire: I've come full circle.
Q: Could you write this song today ?
M: No, not now. It wouldn't fit, time doesn't lend itself to it. Though my heart is full (smile). Thank whom ? Nobody. If I'm happy it's an inner, intimate happiness. I'm at peace with myself.
Les Inrockuptibles,September 1995

Thanks very much sista. :)

Back
Top Bottom