Should Morrissey be allowed to change the album covers of old albums?

You CAN'T change history - if Paul McCartney wanted to call THE BEATLES album the 'Black' album it wouldn't make any difference - It would still be the White Album wouldn't it?

Having said that, if Moz wants to re-release Southpaw Grammar with new tracks and a new cover it doesn't detract from the original - not for me anyhow...

This is basically my opinion.

A reissue can't change the original.

It may be an attempt at revisionism but it will always be unsuccessful. Fans may prefer the altered / new piece of work, or they may prefer the original. But amongst educated fans there won't be any confusion. If, against all odds, the reissued Southpaw Grammar makes a new Morrissey fan out of some teenager, by googling and visiting websites they'll quickly find out what the original was and can even seek it out at a reasonable price should they so choose.

Though I think it's not a bad thing to 'respect' the original work, more artists do that with special editions these days, so you get the album in full as it was, THEN bonus tracks, people tend to respond to that better overall it seems. But I'd stand by what I said above, ultimately any attempt at revisionism will be unsuccessful.

What annoys me more in a way is revisionism in Greatest Hits / Best Ofs, particularly when certain successful singles are left off just because the artist has a personal dislike for a track. A compilation there is serving a distinct purpose, it's a new collection. There I think the artist has more power to be revisionist and get away with it.

All I can say is Reissue, repackage, repackage!!!

Why do we need a new edition anyway?
Particularly of what will always be seen as one of His lesser works? We are all aware that the missing tracks were B-sides like Nobody Loves Us and therefore the running order will either be a skewed modern take, chopped and reformed, or a simple rehash with extra tracks stuck on the end and a tacky badge.

Plus those extra songs will always be viewed by diehards as B-Sides, no matter what. I can't believe Moz, he is the epitome of hypocrisy. If he was so bothered about the final product back when it originally came out, I'm sure he had a say in the track listing ffs.

I'll still buy it, though:p

Matt

Sometimes things like cover art and album tweaking/remixing/mastering are above the artists control.

I mentioned above that former Beatle George Harrison got his original album art rejected by his label for 1981's Somewhere in England, maybe the same has happened/could happen to Morrissey?

Also, there is the case of how the album will sound like. Wikipedia has a neat article explaining this, check it out by clicking here.

That is a cool link. Thanks. One can imagine "Southpaw" benefiting from the remastering and being Morrissey's "loudest" record to date.

for years nearly everyone on here has been listing the ways this album could be improved. Now the opportunity has come and all of a sudden the orginal is sacred? :confused:

for years nearly everyone on here has been listing the ways this album could be improved. Now the opportunity has come and all of a sudden the orginal is sacred? :confused:

No kidding! I agree.

First off, what is being released is not "Southpaw Grammar." That album is out of print and no longer available. What is being released is a new and separate album, "Southpaw Grammar Special Edition." As such, I see no reason why the cover art, remastering, and tracklisting cannot be changed. I have my copy of "Southpaw Grammar," and I still think it's his weakest album. However, I will purchase a new album with three unreleased songs, remastered for optimal loudness, and finally has the cover art which was so sorely lacking on the other album.:)

This gave me a laugh, thanks.

What they could do is include a high quality card with the orig. cover printed on it that little Timmy can slot it into the jewel case over the new one.

Curious what the new cover will be. Unlike some, I've enjoyed the unearthed Jake photos used on recent releases (the arse one was take it or leave it, but it made me laugh). Anyway, I hope it's not one from that "session".

Well, I think it's ok if he wants to change the cover of SG.

One of my favorite bands, Porcupine Tree, did that several times.

for example the album "Stupid Dream":

Original Version from 1999
B00000IAH0.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Remastered 2006
Porcupine_Tree_-_Stupid_Dream.jpg

I agree with Theo, old albums shouldn't be changed or remixed or whatever. Bonus tracks from the same time period are fine. If possible, a "complete sessions" version should be released of every album Morrissey has ever done. The Viva Hate Special Edition was an insult, but I doubt that Morrissey had much to do with its release.

I really hate this new fashion of bringing everything to new standards. They are even updating Star Trek with new special effects! f***ing nonsense!

One can imagine "Southpaw" benefiting from the remastering and being Morrissey's "loudest" record to date.

Please tell me that you're being sarcastic!

Making CDs overly loud equals a loss in quality, the main reason why I refuse to buy "remastered" albums.

Making CDs overly loud equals a loss in quality, the main reason why I refuse to buy "remastered" albums.

No, I think for that record it might be very successful. It's sparse on lyrical content and decidedly one of Mozzer's harder rocking albums. I won't venture too far into the "loudness" debate, but it seems that a modest remastering might actually help that album. Again, everyone's complained about it forever and now we are treating it like the Mona Lisa??? Please...:)

I'm not an audiophile and I don't have very high tech equipment. I think that a lot of new albums are too loud and that the sound is inferior as a result. I cannot speak as an expert on these matters, I just think sound technicians (or whatever they're called) are harming our music because they think what matters most is that it is louder.

Last edited:
Well, it seems this has been a very successful thread. Let it be known that Theo is no troll and he created this highly successful thread that was on the topic of the breaking Morrissey news. Frankly, more SoLowers should follow Theo's example. Bear that in mind the next time you try and accuse him of being "trolly".

And it seems the majority agree with me on this topic.

I would hold this view regardless, but I should make clear that I'm fond of the cover sleeve of "Southpaw Grammar" as well as the music on the album. It's strange how that album is one of the Morrissey albums I listen to the most all these years later. I certainly didn't think it would become such a fave back when it first came out, but a fave is what it is and I hope the reissue is done properly.

Last edited:
Tags
cover sleeves good thread by theo reissue southpaw grammar
Back
Top Bottom