Southpaw Grammar re-master plus bonus tracks

Probably because Morrissey never was really satisfied with how Southpaw Grammar turned out. In Mojo, june 2004/127, he says that he did not know what he was thinking when he did the album artwork and that he thought it was a shame that such a great album would have that sleeve, etc. etc.

You can't take everything Morrissey says as gospel. I'm pretty sure he's the one who wanted that SG artwork. If he didn't like it, why did he use it again on the Oye Esteban tour merchandise?. The artwork I would think might have been forced onto him is the Maladjusted one.

Sometimes I wonder if in retrospect he doesn't use the SG artwork as a scapegoat for the album's lack of success.

Stephane

You can't take everything Morrissey says as gospel. I'm pretty sure he's the one who wanted that SG artwork. If he didn't like it, why did he use it again on the Oye Esteban tour merchandise?. The artwork I would think might have been forced onto him is the Maladjusted one.

Sometimes I wonder if in retrospect he doesn't use the SG artwork as a scapegoat for the album's lack of success.

Stephane

Good post, Stephane - furthermore, if the HMV family was willing to re-start the defunct RCA imprint as Morrissey's vanity label (and if that was an actual contract term), surely something seemingly less significant like artwork approval would be his shot to call? I think you could probably file it in the "it was a nice idea when I thought of it" pool, along with Get Off The Stage and skinheads in the Our Frank video among other things!

Some people say that The Jewel in the Rough DVD is a hash as a whole, but I think the portion with the album designer is fascinating (Morrissey living with two-way mirror glass for windows, needing to scan the RCA logo from an old Lou Reed LP).

If the theories/rumors hold true that the era was a difficult one for Morrissey, perhaps it is a natural defense mechanism for him to downplay the era. The impulse, like much else with him, is contradictory (airings of Reader Meet Author on the 2006 tour, the reinstatement of The Operation's drum solo as the intro piece).

Cheers,
Jamie

Interesting divergence of opinion between you and Roky, from whom I also tried to pry more details of that period last week. :)

I continually surprise myself at my inability to exhaust my fascination & trainspotting of these lost bits. To that end, I would be curious to know if you are referring to additional unreleased material from Viva Hate & Bona Drag, as so many of the known titles have been aired in the public for years. The only (reputedly...I add that caveat quite strongly) complete (that, too) tracks that I don't think have surfaced in any fashion on the net are:

Viva Hate: Safe, Warm Lancashire Home, Lifeguard On Duty (both per Goddard)
Kill Uncle: Kill Uncle (not complete per Nevin?), My Name is Mortimer (Pomus/Shuman cover)
Your Arsenal/Vauxhall & I: Fantastic Bird (some disagreement as to when exactly) [I'm not counting Stay as You Are b/c the version we've heard is oft-times considered a hoax and is otherwise clearly incomplete.]
Southpaw Grammar: Laughing Anne, You Should Have Been Nice to Me, Honey You Know Where to Find Me (Buddy Buried Deeply?)
Maladjusted: Kit, I Know Who I Love, No One Can Hold a Candle to You, Hanratty (possibly I'm Not Worth Hitting AKA The Jake LaMotta Song, which I'm unsure has ever been confirmed as complete)
You Are The Quarry: the other "Cherokee demos" (Teenage Dad on His Estate, My Life is a Succession of People Saying Goodbye), Home Is a Question Mark

I'm not counting any of the apocryphal bits (e.g., Alain & Boz demos). (And PLEASE no new claims of that ridiculous Melanie song being a true Morrissey number!)

Stephane, that is your cue to confirm/add. ;)

Cheers,
Jamie

Wasn't "Glass Menagerie (Belfast)" another Southpaw era rarity? This was discussed in another thread, but I think it was basically a precursor to "The Teachers are Afraid of the Pupils".
I haven't heard of quite a few of those others mentioned. Any more details (or even clips?)?

Wasn't "Glass Menagerie (Belfast)" another Southpaw era rarity? This was discussed in another thread, but I think it was basically a precursor to "The Teachers are Afraid of the Pupils".
I haven't heard of quite a few of those others mentioned. Any more details (or even clips?)?

Many thanks to Mr Reynolds who uploaded Glass Menagerie:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9n8bsa

Some interesting bits from Boz:

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?p=928828#post928828

Have you done any more, say for singles/B-sides?

Amongst the many songs I have written with Morrissey, there are 2 unreleased Boz/Moz songs on the re-issue of Southpaw Grammar that I am quite excited about, "Honey You Know Where To Find Me" and "You Should've Been Nice To Me"

What are your future plans and what are you working on now?

We are planning a lot of shows to go with the new Morrissey album 'Years Of Refusal'

Wow, finally real info from Boz!

Hope it's untrue

Anonymous poster on mainpage:

I've heard Southpaw has now been punted to early 2009.

But, you will LOVE the SEXY!!!! new cover!

:(

Re: Hope it's untrue

Anonymous poster on mainpage:

I've heard Southpaw has now been punted to early 2009.

But, you will LOVE the SEXY!!!! new cover!

:(

Hmmm, not entirely legitimate is it? :rolleyes:
and the second line doesn't make any sense.

We'll just have to wait and see.

:)

Re: So, Will Southpaw Grammar ever be released or not?

it was never coming to the states.
I would imagine however, we in the states could order it? Obviously, it will be a UK release whenever it comes out, no biggie, just need info on the release, so i can order it, whenever that is.

So it's starting to come together. Boz confirmed his co-penned "Honey, YKWTFM" and "You Sould Have BNTM" are 2 of the unreleased tracks. If we are to belive Stephane's site, which there is no reason not to, "Laughing Anne" is a demo instrumental of "You Should HBNTM" so we can count out "Lauging Anne". Also, Stephane mentioned that the 3rd unreleased track would be licensed from EMI. This means we can count out the Polydor-owned Maladjusted unreleased tracks (Kit, Not Worth Hitting, I Know Who, Hanratty). So the 3rd track would have to be a pre SG and not co-written by Boz. "Fantastic Bird" has always been rumoured to be a Whyte track so I'm guessing it'll be that one. I'm sort of hoping it's not one that we've heard already heard (e.g. Striptease, Born to Hang, Oh Phoney)...although, it would be great to have those officially released on CD. Anyone else care to guess?

joey

Tags
southpaw grammar
Back
Top Bottom