Southpaw Grammar re-master plus bonus tracks

So it's starting to come together. Boz confirmed his co-penned "Honey, YKWTFM" and "You Sould Have BNTM" are 2 of the unreleased tracks. If we are to belive Stephane's site, which there is no reason not to, "Laughing Anne" is a demo instrumental of "You Should HBNTM" so we can count out "Lauging Anne". Also, Stephane mentioned that the 3rd unreleased track would be licensed from EMI. This means we can count out the Polydor-owned Maladjusted unreleased tracks (Kit, Not Worth Hitting, I Know Who, Hanratty). So the 3rd track would have to be a pre SG and not co-written by Boz. "Fantastic Bird" has always been rumoured to be a Whyte track so I'm guessing it'll be that one. I'm sort of hoping it's not one that we've heard already heard (e.g. Striptease, Born to Hang, Oh Phoney)...although, it would be great to have those officially released on CD. Anyone else care to guess?

joey

The following was posted on the main board anonymously a few weeks ago (I copied and pasted it to the first page of this thread). The posting had no specific claim, they just listed the following 12 songs. It seemed believable (to me at least) then, and even more so now that Boz has confirmed two of these.
Someone else has posted anonymously to say the release has been pushed back to Jan. That would also make sense to me. If the unreleased songs are any good, along with the fantastic 'Nobody Loves Us', the re-issue of Southpaw could well steal Years of Refusal's thunder (so to speak) if released a few weeks before...

Boy Racer
Do your Best and Don't Worry
Reader meet Author
Honey, you know where to find me
Dagenham Dave
Southpaw
Best Friend on the Payroll
Fantastic Bird
Teachers are Afraid of the Pupils
The Operation
You Should have been Nice to me
Nobody Loves Us

If we are to belive Stephane's site, which there is no reason not to, "Laughing Anne" is a demo instrumental of "You Should HBNTM" so we can count out "Lauging Anne".

Actually it's not quite that. The person who leaked the Miraval sessions incorrectly labeled the instrumental of "You Should Have Been Nice To Me" as being "Laughing Anne". Having heard neither of those songs he guessed what the instrumental was and was wrong. So nothing having to do with "Laughing Anne" has leaked, and the instrumental you have under that title is actually an instrumental of "You Should Have Been Nice To Me". You will be able to compare them when the reissue comes out.

As for the third unreleased tracks the information is out there, if you know where to look. It is not "Laughing Anne".

Stephane

Having heard neither of those songs he guessed what the instrumental was and was wrong. So nothing having to do with "Laughing Anne" has leaked, and the instrumental you have under that title is actually an instrumental of "You Should Have Been Nice To Me". You will be able to compare them when the reissue comes out.

Did I get that right, you have already heard "You Should Have Been Nice To Me"? I didn't know you had THAT kind of connections ... :eek:

Edit: I just found the lyrics for that track on your website ... very mysterious!

Edit #2: You have the lyrics of "Fantastic Bird" on your website as well! But that can't be the third track for the SG reissue because it doesn't fit the timeframe.

Last edited:
Actually it's not quite that. The person who leaked the Miraval sessions incorrectly labeled the instrumental of "You Should Have Been Nice To Me" as being "Laughing Anne". Having heard neither of those songs he guessed what the instrumental was and was wrong. So nothing having to do with "Laughing Anne" has leaked, and the instrumental you have under that title is actually an instrumental of "You Should Have Been Nice To Me". You will be able to compare them when the reissue comes out.

As for the third unreleased tracks the information is out there, if you know where to look. It is not "Laughing Anne".

Stephane

Thanks for the info - better get MediaMonkey to rename the file...

Stephane

I hate being left out.

Since Passions has the lyrics for Fantastic Bird then I'm guessing that's the 3rd track. Interesting that a SG-era track named "Laughing Anne" may actually exist (thanks for clearing that up, Stephane) but not being included on the re-issue. Wonder if it's because it was not finished or Moz just believes it's crap.

If the tracklist that Maurice E posted is correct, well it's a bit disappointing that they changed the running order but I can live with it. Also, would have been nice if they squeezed in You Must Please Remember (I tend to listen to that one more now than Nobody Loves Us).

If this ever sees the light of day in the US, maybe Warner/Rhino, who I believe have the rights to everything pre-Maladjusted in the US, will get it right and release it as a 2-disc version with all the period recordings. They've done a great job with Cure re-issues.

joey

Stephane

Ah, thanks for clearing that up, Stephane - although you wrapped a riddle in a teasing mystery at the end there. I don't recall hearing any other unreleased titles from the SG era, so my guess is that it will be the overly-obvious: the alternate Reader Meet Author take. If the mistook-for-Laughing-Anne instrumental is the one I'm thinking of, that's a lovely wisp of a song. Should be good to hear.

Thanks to Joey for pointing out that the lyrics to Fantastic Bird were on Passions. Very strange lyric. If this is Arsenal era but after the album, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it was recorded at Abbey Road along with Jack the Ripper and You've Had Her. It wouldn't seem to make much sense to place this on a Southpaw reissue.

Cheers,
Jamie

If this ever sees the light of day in the US, maybe Warner/Rhino, who I believe have the rights to everything pre-Maladjusted in the US, will get it right and release it as a 2-disc version with all the period recordings. They've done a great job with Cure re-issues.

Warner/Rhino had no involvement in the Cure re-issues, except for the distribution. They were put together by Robert Smith and were released by Fiction Records, distributed by Universal in the EU and by Rhino in the US.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up, Stephane - although you wrapped a riddle in a teasing mystery at the end there. I don't recall hearing any other unreleased titles from the SG era, so my guess is that it will be the overly-obvious: the alternate Reader Meet Author take. If the mistook-for-Laughing-Anne instrumental is the one I'm thinking of, that's a lovely wisp of a song. Should be good to hear.

Thanks to Joey for pointing out that the lyrics to Fantastic Bird were on Passions. Very strange lyric. If this is Arsenal era but after the album, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it was recorded at Abbey Road along with Jack the Ripper and You've Had Her. It wouldn't seem to make much sense to place this on a Southpaw reissue.

Cheers,
Jamie

I've always wondered -- why didn't the studio take of Jack the Ripper become the official release of the song? The first time I heard it I could see the production style could easily be mistaken for Quarry-era, so it'd be hard to believe that the studio version would've flopped.

I've always wondered -- why didn't the studio take of Jack the Ripper become the official release of the song? The first time I heard it I could see the production style could easily be mistaken for Quarry-era, so it'd be hard to believe that the studio version would've flopped.

It was the official release on the b-side of Certain People I Know.

Tags
southpaw grammar
Back
Top Bottom