My Mother on Morrissey

oh dear :( at first i thought you meant your cat hero-worships you ;)

wish i could attend Tedfest, looks like a fun time. but getting the tickets...:eek:

oh dear :( at first i thought you meant your cat hero-worships you ;)

wish i could attend Tedfest, looks like a fun time. but getting the tickets...:eek:

And he's a very holy cat. I still may register him at the veterinarians under that name.... imagine trying not to laugh when the vet says, "Is Father here today for his worming?" :D Tedfest sounds grand, in February even!!!

Ever since I got into Morrissey, my Mother has been coming up with very choice statements about the man himself. The conversation I had with her today about going to see him in England took the biscuit, though. I thought I should post a collection of her finest moments:

Tonights convo:

Me:"I'm so excited!! I can't wait to see him in Jan!"

Mammy:"What are you excited about? Sure aren't you giving him his bread and butter? And does he appreciate it?"

Me:"What do you think?"

Mammy:"Well, he's going around in his dressing robe saying 'amn't I rich?' When you meet him you should ask him what he does with his money"

On hearing "Such a litle thing makes........"

Mammy:"God, isn't he very kinky"

When Morrissey was on Jonathon Ross with Robbie Williams

Me:"Mammy, hasn't Morrissey a lovely smile?"

Mammy:"He'll do, I suppose"

Random Comment, can't remember it's origins...

Mammy:"He wouldn't look twice at the side of the street you were on"

Another random convo - sometimes I just like to ask my Mam questions
about Moz to annoy her

Me:"Mam, what do you think Morrisseys' doing now?"

Mammy:"He's probably out gadding about the town, with his women and his millions"

One Sunday evening

Me:"Mam, Morrissey likes red wine too"

Mammy:"Does he now? Well, that might keep him quiet......."

My Mam seems to think that Morrissey is a crooner type, of the Tom Jones ilk. Does anyone elses' Mother have thoughts on Morrissey? And if so, what are they?

My mom's view on Morrissey, coming straight from her mouth....
In my car listening to Nov. Spawned a Monster.....
Mom: "Who is this we are listening too?"
Me: "Oh this is Morrissey"
Mom: "Who?"
Me: "You wouldn't know, but just have a listen"
Mom: listens for a little while...."Why are his songs so depressing?"
Me: "I don't know that you would understand, but it's good music huh?"
Mom: "Yeah, I think he has a nice voice!"

So I'm guessing that my Mom enjoys Morrissey, she finds it funny how I listen to him all the time and she can't understand why I go to so many concerts because (according to her) "It's the same show over and over". She couldn't believe it when I told her I jumped up on stage (thinks that I am now insane) and that I caught his shirt. She actually thought that was gross because it was all sweaty. I think that she would go to a concert with me though, (she secretly likes him) plus he's like the same age as her so I know she thinks he's a good looking man because well....he is!

My mom always does the "Oh not him again" when she passes as I'm frinking. My father after watching him on Letterman together says "His music is alright, but I just don't understand what he's singing about. His words don't make any sense. They don't tell a story."

Last edited:
LOL! Along those same lines, when my Mom saw the cover of ROTT she asked if he played violin (she likes classical music) No, Mom –he only plays ‘us’ :D
She flipped the CD over, read the titles and said “The Father Who Must Be Killed?! What’s that all about?” Oh mother, an explanation it drains me…

rottcopy.jpg

Babe, your siggie pic looks great! ;)

My Mother on miserable lie...
' Sounds like someones being murdered in there...'

For some reason my Brother cant get it out of his mind that Morrisseys a priest!

And he's a very holy cat. I still may register him at the veterinarians under that name.... imagine trying not to laugh when the vet says, "Is Father here today for his worming?" :D Tedfest sounds grand, in February even!!!

you could buy him a little black collar and modify it to fit his calling.

doesn't it? i might send my application just to see...pretty long odds though

I just recently converted my 48 year old aunt. i brought over the M in Manchester DVD and she loved it. now everytime i go over (she lives just 2 blocks away) shes like "omg, did you bring any Morrissey???" and she already knows all the words to "Jack the Ripper." :D she also thinks hes super handsome (of course) and practices Morrissey's dance moves! (most notably the moob grab :p)

my parents dont really get it though. but thats okay, i really wouldnt want them to.

My mother loves him, it's the strangest thing. A few years ago she walked in the kitchen while I was doing dishes and heard him. I think I had "I Know it's Over " on and she starts freaking out over his voice. "He has the most beautiful voice", "he sure did tell the truth in that song!" and it was on from there.

To understand this fully, you have to know she's a mixture of hippiness and Pentecostal teachings, doesn't sound possible, but it is. Plus we're black, so it just freaks people out to be honest. Her coworkers almost fell over when she told them she went to see him. I took her to the Auditorium show in Chicago, she didn't come to the Waukegan one and was heartbroken about it.

She also likes to comment on his chest which quite frankly scares me and I beg her to stop. I thought the shirt rippers would scare her, but she thought the whole thing was funny as hell. Weird, I'm still getting used to it.

OMG! I would love if my mom was like that!
Both of my parents are quite neutral when it comes to Morrissey, though my dad likes to tease me at times. Last summer my father borrowed 3 albums (The Queen Is Dead, Your Arsenal and ROTT) from me just to know what I'm talking about all the time. He didn't like TQID that much :)eek:) but thought YA and ROTT were okay..:rolleyes:
My uncle likes Morrissey! He isn't crazy about him but thinks he's pretty good. My uncle is really cool, anyways. He's 52-year-old psychiatrist but he loves hc-punk and Black Sabbath and emo music etc..:rolleyes:

My mum: "Calling himself Morrissey*, he's just asking for it really. I mean, the possibilities are endless...Miserable Morrissey, Maudlin Morrissey, Morose Morrissey..." She went on like this for about 5 minutes.

*She seems to think he has a say in what his surname is.

My dad, after hearing Half A Person: "'Sixteen, clumsy and shy,
I went to London and I?!' Only Morrissey would rhyme 'I' with 'shy'.

Another one of my mum's: "When I was 18 I had a severe fear of being stuck in a bar with a man like Morrissey. I was very nice, I'd always talk to them and listen to them. But being stuck with someone like Morrissey was a genuine concern of mine"

I just recently converted my 48 year old aunt. i brought over the M in Manchester DVD and she loved it.

Nugz, I have also converted quite a few people with this DVD.
My own mother's only recorded comment on Morrisssey was: ''Oh he's forgiven Jesus has he? That's big of him''
On a related note I was out walking with my other half when we saw some discarded flowers by the side of the road. He said ''Oh look Morrissey dropped his flowers out of his back pocket while he was resucitating a stunned hedgehog''

when i took my mum to the friday night of the G-mex, when he came on stage,
my mum just kept saying, "oh isnt he good looking" and "oh hasn't he got a lovely shirt and tie on"

and my dad refers to him as "not that bloody Morrissons again"

Last edited:
Nugz, I have also converted quite a few people with this DVD.
My own mother's only recorded comment on Morrisssey was: ''Oh he's forgiven Jesus has he? That's big of him''
On a related note I was out walking with my other half when we saw some discarded flowers by the side of the road. He said ''Oh look Morrissey dropped his flowers out of his back pocket while he was resucitating a stunned hedgehog''

HAHAHA. thats funny. :D

the other night she asked me to bring the DVD over AGAIN (which of course I didnt mind.) and my 11 year old cousin sits down next to us and watches it for a few minutes and then asks me to get him a Morrissey cd. i was like "omg I love you!!!!" cuz his 3 brothers all like rap music. :o there is hope for the next generation!! :)

My Mum thinks Morrissey isn't as good as Marc Almond.
but likes him none the less

"Your going to 6 shows?!!?.....Why?!?....well I guess he is quite charismatic"

I think theres a little more to it than that.

My mum everytime when I go abroad to see yet another show: "What's that guy's name again?"

Every. Single. Time. :mad:

we're on page 3 now, so I'll tell you...

As far as I know nobody in my family has ever heard Morrissey, or if they have they weren't aware who it was. I usually didn't play my records on the family stereo. I'd use that to play my grandma's Dean Martin or Tammy Wynette records.

I did watch MTV, but Morrissey was never on it. Radiohead were, though, and my grandmother said

"that man sounds miserable" and later
*heavy sigh*
"that sounds like funeral music."

oh, when I was wearing my Morrissey t-shirt from Kill Uncle tour with Edith Sitwell on it, my aunt asked "Why are you wearing that shirt?"
and I said it was a shirt I bought at a concert. She said "That's ugly".

Last edited by a moderator:

As far as I know nobody in my family has ever heard Morrissey, or if they have they weren't aware who it was. I usually didn't play my records on the family stereo. I'd use that to play my grandma's Dean Martin or Tammy Wynette records.

I did watch MTV, but Morrissey was never on it. Radiohead were, though, and my grandmother said

*heavy sigh*

oh, when I was wearing my Morrissey t-shirt from Kill Uncle tour with Edith Sitwell on it, my aunt asked "Why are you wearing that shirt?"

You lucky bugger, I dream of having an Edith Sitwell shirt!

Love PTxx.

*heavy sigh*

Dave, I want to read the 'unedited' version. :D (why did i use scare quotes?)

Back
Top Bottom