My Mother on Morrissey

Your Mother on Morrissey!

How did she manage that?!

Out of my whole family, my grandmother seems to really understand Moz, which I never expected. She really seems to care for him, knows what he's all about, and always has good insight... into him, and, well, into everything. :)

She really 'gets it', which is rare in anyone -- especially a 73 year old woman!

:D

My dad's friend came to stay the other day and claims he is a fan of Morrissey...he only likes Kill Uncle and plays it at deafening volumes in his car. He refuses to listen to anything else as "it won't compare to Kill Uncle".

However, jus to try and annoy me he always makes up Morrissey lyrics to take the piss whilst doing a bad Morrissey voice.

Some as his past ones (oh yeh, most never have a thing to do with Moz or the stuff he sings about)

UPON HIS FAILED HISTORY
"What is history?, to me it's all a mystery, it's not at all Christmassy and when there's no exams think of how pissed I'll be"

POOR MORRISSEY LYRICS
"Hmmm, I love death I think it's so sweet but there is one thing I despise it is something called meat. Hmmm, life just trouble, trouble and strife, no joy, no choice...just f***ing Mike Joyce"

ANOTHER POOR MOZ IMITATION
"People always ask me what do I think of me and I just have to laugh and say 'I can't be arsed talking to you, because you wouldn't want to know the truth'"

HIS WORST SO FAR HAS TO BE, UPON ME INTRODUCING HIM TO MOZ'S STYLE
"Life is crap and death is great how can eating quorn make me put on weight?"

As for my parents:
DAD: Fan since The Smiths, got me into Moz

MUM: Secretly fancies Moz and so tries not to say she likes him too much just in case...

and my Auntie just clearly fancies Moz and lets people know, she isn't married by the way but did use to go out with Glen Matlock

Last edited:
"Why you want to go a see a grown man dying of embarrassment I'll never know, it just seems cruel to me."

:D

this is my favorite, too, but not for the same reasons... don't know how accurate it is, but it does seem to hold some kind of a truth, within... even if that truth is not what it seems to be... (does that make sense? no? ok. :D)

Mammy sounds fun!

My mother thinks he's a singing priest, and I allow her to continue because it amuses me.

morrisseyihaveforgivenjwd2.jpg

LOL! Along those same lines, when my Mom saw the cover of ROTT she asked if he played violin (she likes classical music) No, Mom –he only plays ‘us’ :D
She flipped the CD over, read the titles and said “The Father Who Must Be Killed?! What’s that all about?” Oh mother, an explanation it drains me…

rottcopy.jpg

My mum quite likes him.

She did get upset to see this on the fridge though:
1152763538_f.jpg

"WHAT IS THIS?! I was going to get the milk and now I'll never eat again!"

The other day my father asked me what I was listening to.
"I Have Forgiven Jesus by Morrissey."
He started going off...
"Since when does he have the power to forgive Jesus!? Is he the SUPREME FORGIVER of the universe!? ... "

Dying of Embarrassment would make an excellent title for the next album.

Come to think of it, it would!! Good old Mumsie, who knew she may have struck gold this time! *chuckles* Imagine if it happened and my mother had unwittingly named a Morrissey album!

My mother loves him, it's the strangest thing. A few years ago she walked in the kitchen while I was doing dishes and heard him. I think I had "I Know it's Over " on and she starts freaking out over his voice. "He has the most beautiful voice", "he sure did tell the truth in that song!" and it was on from there.

To understand this fully, you have to know she's a mixture of hippiness and Pentecostal teachings, doesn't sound possible, but it is. Plus we're black, so it just freaks people out to be honest. Her coworkers almost fell over when she told them she went to see him. I took her to the Auditorium show in Chicago, she didn't come to the Waukegan one and was heartbroken about it.

She also likes to comment on his chest which quite frankly scares me and I beg her to stop. I thought the shirt rippers would scare her, but she thought the whole thing was funny as hell. Weird, I'm still getting used to it.

Yes, and my Mammy brought me up. You must understand, dear sir..............

First, can we stop referring to her as "mammy?" Are you twelve years old or recently escaped from a Dicken's novel? Second, one should never under any circumstances discuss popular music with one's parents. The result is one of two possibilities, both of which are bad:

1. They hate the music you listen to, and it serves to create a gulf between you and your decrepit parents.

2. They actually like the music and start singing along. BAM! Time to move on to a new artist because "mammy" singing "I was a good lay, a good lay, yeah, yeah" just put you off of Morrissey for the rest of your earthly years.

Is this thread finished?!

Last edited:
My mom likes him too, she went to the Cleveland show and thought he was really good. The other day I was watching Who put the M in Manchester, thought she'd want me to turn it off but she watched the whole dvd. She asked if Morrissey knows what kind of power he has over his fans. All the people interviewd sound like me she said. Mentioned he looks really good in red and needs to wear it more often, I agree.

First, can we stop referring to her as "mammy?" Are you twelve years ago or recently escaped from a Dicken's novel? Second, one should never under any circumstances discuss popular music with one's parents. The result is one of two possibilities, both of which are bad:

1. They hate the music you listen to, and it serves to create a gulf between you and your decrepit parents.

2. They actually like the music and start singing along. BAM! Time to move on to a new artist because "mammy" singing "I was a good lay, a good lay, yeah, yeah" just put you off of Morrissey for the rest of your earthly years.

Is this thread finished?!

hahaha! :D

Me:"Mam, what do you think Morrisseys' doing now?"

Mammy:"He's probably out gadding about the town, with his women and his millions"

One Sunday evening

Me:"Mam, Morrissey likes red wine too"

Mammy:"Does he now? Well, that might keep him quiet......."

Those two are my absolute favorite! your mom sounds like my pretend-mother at work, who is russian!

I'm sure she'd say the very same things.

Mammy sounds fun!

My mother thinks he's a singing priest, and I allow her to continue because it amuses me.

morrisseyihaveforgivenjwd2.jpg

:D:Dthis is the best thread on here, it has reduced both my husband and myself to tears.

we got a big laugh out of the "singing priest" thing cos of Father Ted, particularly Fr. Finnegan who was "dancing for peace"

Moz is one hot Father What-a-Waste, he'd wreak havoc on any parish...much like Fr. Dougal doing a funeral.

Chris Isaak and Moz are not the same person, but Morrissey and Joaquin Phoenix might be....

Last edited:
Me:"Mam, what do you think Morrisseys' doing now?"

Mammy:"He's probably out gadding about the town, with his women and his millions"

One Sunday evening

Me:"Mam, Morrissey likes red wine too"

Mammy:"Does he now? Well, that might keep him quiet......."

Those two are my absolute favorite! your mom sounds like my pretend-mother at work, who is russian!

I'm sure she'd say the very same things.

Why thank you! It seems our Mammys have evil designs on poor Morrissey!

My mother on morrissey:

"Puta... That Morrissey is just shit. In the morning, Morrissey. When Jessica comes home from school, Morrissey. At night on the TV, Morrissey. Morrissey, Morrissey, Morrissey. I'm tired of that Morrissey."

:D:Dthis is the best thread on here, it has reduced both my husband and myself to tears.

we got a big laugh out of the "singing priest" thing cos of Father Ted, particularly Fr. Finnegan who was "dancing for peace"

Moz is one hot Father What-a-Waste, he'd wreak havoc on any parish...much like Fr. Dougal doing a funeral.

Chris Isaak and Moz are not the same person, but Morrissey and Joaquin Phoenix might be....

Father Ted is a favorite, I actually have to stop myself from referring to Father Neil Hannon. And I almost called my cat Father Stone, because he does that. :o

Back
Top Bottom