My Mother on Morrissey

My mom saw him on Johnathan Ross when I was watching the DVD, way back when (the week I had Camden, so 2004), and said, "He's sort of shy and cute. . ."

--jeniphir

My mum hasn't really said anything, amazingly haha and I play The Smiths and Morrissey every day and she often hears it. All she really said was that she liked Now My Heart Is Full. It is a start though. :p

Funny thread.
Things my mother has said:

Mom
-What is that noise coming from upstairs? It sounds like someones crying as they sing. Its just Morrissey..What is a Morrissey? Just a guy who is a great writer who sings like he is crying. Enough said lol

-Why is it that you watch that weird video of him kicking sand, why doess he do that? Mom, its just part of the video. What does he flop around the rocks? Is he gay, ooohhh he looks gay. Come and watch it. Thats not christian honey. A chocolate bar..Im lost. What is wrong with him? Are you gay honey? MOM! Well, he is..isnt he?
Mom, one day maybe I will know but I don't care, I like the song, thats all. (MOM)Please don't put that video on anymore when I am here. ( I do just to joke with her all the time-ha)

---(in the car one day giving her a ride) This song, have I heard it before? (Let me kiss you) I dont think so.. Oh its that guy who exposes himself on tv videos isn't it. (I am laughing so hard I almost hit a parked car and pee at the same time) Exposes?? Mom , I will put in frank sinatra ok?

---(Mom)Are you coming over for dinner tonight? NO I m going to Boston to see a concert. Who honey? Morrissey. Oh KIMMMMMM don't do that.
Ma, he throws shirts in the audience, do you want me to try to get it for you? (MOM) Are you joking, who does he think he is Elvis? DONT YOU TOUCH THAT SHIRT! LOL Ma, people stage dive sometimes at the end to kiss him or shake his hand. Stage dive? What does that mean? Rush the stage? Yes mom, oh now he is the BEATLES? What row are you in? 7th. I don't think you should go out, maybe you should come over for dinner instead, I am making a ham. (adding fire to the flame) Mom, morrissey would not like ham and no I am not coming over. Oh hes a vegatarian too? (The story goes on and on about why we should eat meat for 10 mins ) LOL

---After the concert- (MOM)How was it, did you get a shirt? No but I got button that rolled on the floor in the middle of a fight. A FIGHT!!! What on earth will you do with a button? I sewed it on my pants. WHAT! How can I contact this Morrison..Ma, Morrissey. and you can't. THANK GOD..LOL
Love her but.... :)

so I was over my aunts again, and we were watching Morrissey videos AGAIN, at my aunts request...shes hopelessly inlove, its great! and this time my 14 year old cousin was there, and of course its not KEWL for 14 year old boys to like Morrissey. so hes sitting there, watching November Spawned a Monster, saying stuff like "omg!!! hes so gay. why does he have a band aid on his nipple??? oh.my.god!" and he periodically gets up, and "imitates" Morrissey and his dancing skillz, complete with rubbing his nips and such. then during the Manchester DVD hes like "omg, WHY does he have a flower hanging out of his crotch????!!!" I said "Andrew, in 5 years you're gonna have a big poster of Morrissey in your room, ya know." of course he says "NO WAY!!" also, as soon as I walked in the door, my 10 year old cousin says "NO MORRISSEY!!!" the virus is spreading in my family like wildfire. i love it.

lmao @this thred. my mom kinda already knew moz before i got into him...not literally!!! but my big bro got into the smiths first back in the 80's ,i grew up hearing moz tunes blaring from his bedroom,and so did the rest of the family. she just accepted it when i started listening.boring story sorry.
she was however a little dumbfounded when i said i had 'girl afraid' tattooed on my arm ''why would you want to do a thing like that???'' ''cuz i lurvesss moz mom'' ''dont you love your husband???if you was going to have a tat why not his name?!?!?!'' ...fair point really but its not the same ...right?!?!?!

My dad first commented on him in 1984 on TOPTP.He peered over the newspaper and grunted "bloody poof".:D

i started listening to the smiths shortly after i moved out of home and I moved out days after my 18th birthday so my mum never had a chance to hear him..she doesnt care for music its just like elevator music for her the radio plays and she doesnt properly listen to it its in the background so its not silent in the room-but it could be anything so i thought she would think i am crazy spending money again on these london tixs after thr NY desaster but surprisingly she understands it-or she at least tries..that seeing him makes me happy and cheer me up
also she understood that i was not only sad about the loss of the money when i canceled NY but missing the chance to see him that weights so much more than the loss of money...actually i thought she would be upset and complains why i spend money i dont have(hoorah to the credit card) and will take an eternity to pay the rates /installments but thtas life........but she was nice
i never played her mozzzers songs due to the fact I didnt see her often and thsts due to the fact i live not in the same city.-pretty far away..maybe the slower songs like now my heart is full or the more you ignore me she could like it....well she likes roy orbinson and tom jones but she also likes "german schlager and volksmusik" so maybe not ... i guess it will be turn out to be like the hilarious situation described in the great "wrong boy" book by willy russell ..you know where raymond plays his mum smiths songs...i love that scene-a classic

Last edited:
I had to share this...

I searched for "Morrissey and Santa" and this image came up...

santa.jpg

I sent this image to my mother and this was her reply...

"what is with his hair? please don't be offended...but it looks like a handle implanted into his head. like if you pushed down, water would come out of his mouth.

that's just my twisted, uninformed mind..."

HAHAHAHAHA!!! My mom rules!!!

My mother hates Morrissey.
She'll tolerate him, but she didn't want to come to see him when I had an extra ticket and just the other night she was a little tipsy ( I was driving her home from a Chrismas party) and she demanded I shut The Smiths off in the car because it was making her feel ill.
Sure enough..she felt better as soon as I shut it off.
Moz is an aquired taste for sure..

She likes the funny songs tho...she'll say her favorite one is about fatty.
lol :)

I forgot to post this last week...

I finally got my Mom's Moz report back (had sent her off on a road trip with a a coupla CD's). I asked her if she had listened to them and what did she think and she said "Yeah I did a little but I can't say I really like him. His voice sounds the same on every song" Me: :confused: "Well, you just don't know enough of his music, then. I can burn you my favorite songs" Her: "No that's okay. I like my music. And "I thought you said he was a 'crooner'? now Frank Sinatra was a crooner!" :o

I said "Well I'm sorry you don't like him but I love him and that's all that matters". That much she agrees with :)

I finally got my Mom's Moz report back (had sent her off on a road trip with a a coupla CD's). I asked her if she had listened to them and what did she think and she said "Yeah I did a little but I can't say I really like him. His voice sounds the same on every song" Me: :confused: "Well, you just don't know enough of his music, then. I can burn you my favorite songs" Her: "No that's okay. I like my music. And "I thought you said he was a 'crooner'? now Frank Sinatra was a crooner!" :o

I said "Well I'm sorry you don't like him but I love him and that's all that matters". That much she agrees with :)

My favorite "trying to get my parent to listen to Morrissey moment" came when I was picking up my father to take out for coffee, and I strategically readied my car CD player to start playing "Now My Heart Is Full" when we got into the car. I'm thinking, "It's a mellow song, it slowly and passionately builds, it is sung by a Englishman with a pleasant voice, surely he'll be interested."

So, dad gets in the car, maybe fifteen seconds go by, and he unloads with, "Can you turn that noise down?" It was at that moment, I finally realized we have absolutely nothing in common.:(

My mom refers to Morrissey as "Mercy."

I actually had a similar convo with my mom this weekend while listening to the Sinatra Christmas album and decorating the tree. I was commenting on how there were no crooners any more, that they all dyed with the Rat Pack, but as Moz matures he becomes more like a crooner. My mom looked at me and said "Aren't crooners supposed to be loved by a lot of people? Didn't you ask me for a Christmas orniment of his that says I have forgiven Jesus???"

It was quite funny I thought.

P.s. Corrissey, you really must get out of my head. Your avitar is my desktop background for my computer at work. Holy hell, do we share a brain?!

Oh! I forgot that my Mom said "what he sings about is strange. what is with that song 'our friends have a lot of money and are successful so we don't like them anymore!?'...how silly"

P.s. Corrissey, you really must get out of my head. Your avitar is my desktop background for my computer at work. Holy hell, do we share a brain?!

My avatar is nicked from a lovely Comtesse frink post. It's a gooder, huh.

Skinner if we share a brain, I'm so very sorry for you. :rolleyes: Does your half know where I put my car keys?! :p

Last edited:
My mum after i said i was going to go buy ROTT:
"Are you buying a pack of razor blades with that?"

Yeah, she's not a fan :)

Back
Top Bottom