Morrissey’s vocal melodies

Morrissey mention in this, and how people did not have to hide in closets and hide being gay. Linder dated Howard Devoto. Pete Shelley also did another interview where he talks about coming out in the early 80s and his father was fine with it, but jokingly said would you stop saying you are gay all the time because the guys at work are giving me a hard time over it.
These attempts at 'analysis' and pretending to know anything about Morrissey's personal life are completely insane and desperate. Take a walk, get some fresh air.

Thank you! Very strong analysis. Do you want to take a stab at the part about the devil and the idle hands?

I think that's something that could be interpreted as Morrissey's preception of the distain directed towards him.

Morrissey had by his own admission shown little (or no) interest in working. He was more interested in reading, which his mother encouraged. His father may well have viewed him as lazy and work shy (idle)

So the accusatory (Catholic-based view), would be that the devil made work for Morrissey's idle hands, by leading him away from the conventional notions of what Catholics consider to be proper relationships.

His mother has been his rock, and that may have been in no small part because she stood up for her son. Which would have inevitably driven a wedge between her and her husband.

Morrissey has said his mother was his best friend, and I can imagine it being because of something like this (not just because she encouraged him to read)

Morrissey mention in this, and how people did not have to hide in closets and hide being gay. Linder dated Howard Devoto. Pete Shelley also did another interview where he talks about coming out in the early 80s and his father was fine with it, but jokingly said would you stop saying you are gay all the time because the guys at work are giving me a hard time over it.
These attempts at 'analysis' and pretending to know anything about Morrissey's personal life are completely insane and desperate. Take a walk, get some fresh air.

Just back from a walk thanks. Spring time here - a lovely dreaded sunny day outside.

1984, 4 years before Section 28.

There's too many examples of 'flagrantly' gay throughout the 80's to extrapolate any general rule to support one particular artist's perceived 'oppression'.
FWD.

1984, 4 years before Section 28.

There's too many examples of 'flagrantly' gay throughout the 80's to extrapolate any general rule to support one particular artist's perceived 'oppression'.
FWD.

I was not under the impression we were talking about the law, but fabricated stories about Morrissey and his father.

I was not under the impression we were talking about the law, but fabricated stories about Morrissey and his father.
Bit concrete perhaps?
I was agreeing with your point and that of the video's comments. The 'fabricated' stuff becomes 'worse' if placed in a context of gay bashing and 'witch hunts'. The point was simple - the hounding of people for being homosexual is not fully supported by the people singing and their song's contents even in an era where legislation was brought in to make it an issue. The music press did not systematically target all bands with gay 'leanings' - that's an utter nonsense.
Regards,
FWD.

Bit concrete perhaps?
I was agreeing with your point and that of the video's comments. The 'fabricated' stuff becomes 'worse' if placed in a context of gay bashing and 'witch hunts'. The point was simple - the hounding of people for being homosexual is not fully supported by the people singing and their song's contents even in an era where legislation was brought in to make it an issue. The music press did not systematically target all bands with gay 'leanings' - that's an utter nonsense.
Regards,
FWD.
I am not all that well acquainted with more current British law, but I seem to recall that the law you cited was in response to AIDS, and I thought that was a completely different tangent. I will be happy to be corrected if I am wrong.
I agree the fabricated stuff becomes worse in the contexts you cited above, but some of the other stuff is pretty offensive too. I find it offensive to say his father rejected him because he was gay because I have never heard or read anything to support that, and sounds like low key gay bashing. The thread I posted says that his parents attended his concerts together. I don't think the T Rex story means anything more than parents not understanding their teenage children in general or the music they like sometimes.
I don't think I said anything about the music press targeting anyone.

I am not all that well acquainted with more current British law, but I seem to recall that the law you cited was in response to AIDS, and I thought that was a completely different tangent. I will be happy to be corrected if I am wrong.
I agree the fabricated stuff becomes worse in the contexts you cited above, but some of the other stuff is pretty offensive too. I find it offensive to say his father rejected him because he was gay because I have never heard or read anything to support that, and sounds like low key gay bashing. The thread I posted says that his parents attended his concerts together. I don't think the T Rex story means anything more than parents not understanding their teenage children in general or the music they like sometimes.
I don't think I said anything about the music press targeting anyone.

Low key gay bashing?

You can't be serious.

I didn't share any of my personal opinions about gay people (or those of any other sexual persuasion) in that post, merely an interpretation of what I thought the song could be about.

I happen to have very open-minded views on sexuality, and I love Morrissey regardless of any labels that people might apply to him.

(not that I need to justify any of this to you :))

Last edited:
Pete Shelley also said the Buzzcocks were singing these non gender specific songs and when asked if the Smiths copied the Buzzcocks, he mainly agreed. His mom and dad both knew he was gay a while before Homosapien came out. This is not me 'interpreting', it came right out of his mouth.

Pete Shelley also said the Buzzcocks were singing these non gender specific songs and when asked if the Smiths copied the Buzzcocks, he mainly agreed. His mom and dad both knew he was gay a while before Homosapien came out. This is not me 'interpreting', it came right out of his mouth.

I know you're very keen on facts.

Unfortunately in the world of fandom there is a lot of speculation and interpretation - whether you like it or not.

Look around you, it's everywhere.

People have been assigning their own meanings to lyrics (and the artwork or actions etc of the artist) for decades.

It means they could be right or wrong (I'm not saying I'm right)

And the 'sighting' of Morrissey in Whitstable was obviously laced with intentionally incorrect and sarcastic Veronica lyrics, for the purposes of light humour while we wait for him to reappear in public.

Last edited:
I don't think the T Rex story means anything more than parents not understanding their teenage children in general or the music they like sometimes.

Are you sure?

What about the father who must be killed?

A fantasy about killing a father.

Not any other relative, only a father.

But why?

Last edited:
Imagine getting upset with someone because they interpreted a work of poetry. What kind of shallow, pedestrian mind does one need to have to react like that?

Imagine getting upset with someone because they interpreted a work of poetry. What kind of shallow, pedestrian mind does one need to have to react like that?

Indeed. I learned a long time ago not to react to certain people, but just to let them be.

They are often looking for a certain (usually angry) reaction that continues to escalate the argument, mainly because they feed off it (and they frequently feel they must defend their views to the death)

Much of what they hurl at others is just the unresolved anger inside themselves. When you realise it's not personal, there is no longer a compulsion to act as if it were.

In any disagreement, heated exchange or altercation, you can choose whether their projected anger hurts you or not. Question what it is that is 'hurting' in you - you will likely find it is just the ego, or a component thereof.

When you realise the ego is merely an external construct created outside of yourself in/by the conceptual world, you discover that it's really quite insane to feel hurt by the words, opinions or actions of others.

You can't change other people, only yourself.

Anyway, I love Morrissey's vocal melodies and particularly on What Difference Does It Make (whatever the meaning of the song)

1000006490.jpg

Last edited:
Indeed. I learned a long time ago not to react to certain people, but just to let them be.

They are often looking for a certain reaction that continues to escalate the argument, mainly because they feed off it (and they frequently feel they must defend their views to the death)

Much of what they hurl at others is just the unresolved anger inside themselves. When you realise it's not personal, there is no longer a compulsion to act as if it were.

In any disagreement, heated exchange or altercation, you can choose whether their projected anger hurts you or not. Question what it is that is 'hurting' in you - you will likely find it is just the ego, or a component thereof.

When you realise the ego is merely an external construct created outside of yourself in/by the conceptual world, you discover that it's really quite insane to feel hurt by the words, opinions or actions of others.

You can't change other people, only yourself.

Anyway, I love Morrissey's vocal melodies and particularly on What Difference Does It Make (whatever the meaning of the song)
I’ve been on both sides of the fence many a time here on Solo, so I know exactly what you’re saying. It’s easy to get caught up in the drama and bullshit and feel you have to defend yourself or your views against anonymous, and often very angry and aggressive, people you’ll gladly never have to meet in real life. People, like you say, that obviously get off on online fights. But like I said, I’ve been on both sides of the fence. I’ve happily taken the role of the angry instigator before, for whatever ill thought-out reason. It’s not healthy. Anyway, you seem like a good’un. Welcome to Solo.

I’ve been on both sides of the fence many a time here on Solo, so I know exactly what you’re saying. It’s easy to get caught up in the drama and bullshit and feel you have to defend yourself or your views against anonymous, and often very angry and aggressive, people you’ll gladly never have to meet in real life. People, like you say, that obviously get off on online fights. But like I said, I’ve been on both sides of the fence. I’ve happily taken the role of the angry instigator before, for whatever ill thought-out reason. It’s not healthy. Anyway, you seem like a good’un. Welcome to Solo.

Thanks friend, pleased to be here (mainly for the music, and a laugh along the way)

But like I said, I’ve been on both sides of the fence I’ve happily taken the role of the angry instigator before, for whatever ill thought-out reason. It’s not healthy. Anyway, you seem like a good’un. Welcome to Solo.

I've been on both sides too, I'm not trying to make out that I'm some kind of saint. Sometimes I poke and prod a bit too much.

I suppose all I'm suggesting is that having an awareness and some self-evaluation in a situation can help to keep the ego in check (if not in that instance, then maybe in the next) - it's a constant process.

One of the main things I've learned is about the pitfalls of habitual reactivity, and that it's possible to elongate the period of time between stimulus and response.

'Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom' - Viktor E. Frankl

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom