Morrissey’s vocal melodies

brody

That’s all. They’re wonderful.
They tend to be very simple, only revolving around three notes or so (see Now my Heart Is Full, Boy Racer, This Charming Man). There are exceptions; “Playboys” moves around quite a bit.
They work so well. He’s a masterful songwriter and this facet of his talent is unfairly overlooked.
What are your favorite moz vocal moments?

I adore the deep crooning on You Were Good in Your Time. Hearing that warm timbre, with just a hint of a raspiness, is like lowering your freezingly cold soul into a safe, warm and blissful abyss.

I adore the deep crooning on You Were Good in Your Time. Hearing that warm timbre, with just a hint of a raspiness, is like lowering your freezingly cold soul into a safe, warm and blissful abyss.
Lovely song there. Years of refusal and its b sides have some of his best vocals imo. The manic howling of “Skull” and “Birthday”, the rich crooning of You Were Good In You Time and Because Of My Poor Education. Just beautiful

someday goodbye will be farewell also has a nice melody to me. its got a neat element of slight restraint to it with those small held notes that feels like its holding back that drumbeat from just running off with the rest of your life. the peak where he belts from the top "oh well" and slides down like he ran out of breath and the energy to keep pace. makes me think of fotgtd though as i sometimes slip and sing on our streets where hector was the etc. people might not enjoy the lyrics, i do (oh no you poor little fool), of world peace but that is also a superb melody and a joy to sing

Lovely song there. Years of refusal and its b sides have some of his best vocals imo. The manic howling of “Skull” and “Birthday”, the rich crooning of You Were Good In You Time and Because Of My Poor Education. Just beautiful

I agree. Years of Refusal has the strength of the late Morrissey voice, terrific lyrics with a (mostly) pessimistic unifying theme, and some of his best vocal melodies, raising even a few songs which are musically just J. Tobias chug-rock into excellence. But Birthday is a glorious Morrissey/Whyte masterpiece, right up there with Life Is A Pigsty.

I agree. Years of Refusal has the strength of the late Morrissey voice, terrific lyrics with a (mostly) pessimistic unifying theme, and some of his best vocal melodies, raising even a few songs which are musically just J. Tobias chug-rock into excellence. But Birthday is a glorious Morrissey/Whyte masterpiece, right up there with Life Is A Pigsty.
“You don’t like me, but you love me: either way you’re wrong”. That part is glorious

brow of my beloved is a nice one with not to many notes like u mentioned above but comes with a big feeling from all the sustain and drop-offs. its neat how simple little things can have such a big effect on us

Da man can't even sing - it's all autotune and gimmickry. Do not think otherwise! ;)

I’ll forever champion the obscure 2004 b-side ‘The Public Image’ and one of the most glorious parts of that song is the vocal melody. Melody and wistfulness in abundance.

I’ll forever champion the obscure 2004 b-side ‘The Public Image’ and one of the most glorious parts of that song is the vocal melody. Melody and wistfulness in abundance.
Such a dreamy, wistful little tune. Funny how he went from “I am human and I need to be loved” to “I tried to pass myself off as a human being”.

Such a dreamy, wistful little tune. Funny how he went from “I am human and I need to be loved” to “I tried to pass myself off as a human being”.
I understand him. With time comes insight. And if you feel as bad at 45 as you did at 25, your views on the world and yourself are bound to be dark. He tried his best to be like all the others, but ultimately he’s…maladjusted.

A very underrated song. YOR is such a strong album.

When I think Morrissey maladies... ahem, I mean melodies ;) I think of My Dearest Love of which I got to hear live at the Sydney Opera House in 2015. Glorious!

someday goodbye will be farewell also has a nice melody to me. its got a neat element of slight restraint to it with those small held notes that feels like its holding back that drumbeat from just running off with the rest of your life. the peak where he belts from the top "oh well" and slides down like he ran out of breath and the energy to keep pace. makes me think of fotgtd though as i sometimes slip and sing on our streets where hector was the etc. people might not enjoy the lyrics, i do (oh no you poor little fool), of world peace but that is also a superb melody and a joy to sing
Yeah I don't get why One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell gets such a bad wrap. I've loved it since the first time I heard it and it's a killer song live too.

nobody else in music today delights me more than when i hear M sing,voice is superb.

Last edited:
When I think Morrissey maladies... ahem, I mean melodies ;) I think of My Dearest Love of which I got to hear live at the Sydney Opera House in 2015. Glorious!

one of my absolute favourites.

Back
Top Bottom