And very knowledgeable in such matters.
Newcastle Brown Ale is a head blower.
And, as you now know is not made In
Cumbria, but, yes you’ve guested Newcastle
Or is it still ?
I couldn’t be sure that it still is.

Cumbria, has many, many micro breweries,
And we are awash with local real ales.
We are actually spoiled for choice on an all day drinking session.
After about 7-8 pints of the stuff I get rather bloated, then have to go onto my favourite,
Which is Coors.

I think the last time I tried Coors, I was underage (an eternity ago). Isn’t it kind of watery? Maybe I’m confusing it with Budweiser. Domestic beers have never done much for me. I’ll have to try Coors again on your recommendation. My dad (may he rest in peace) used to like it.

Your had good taste. 😞

The thing I like about Coors, is that it keeps a good head (something that southern English find quite disturbing) and, quite obviously it’s very cold, not to strong either, as i can drink gallons of the stuff.

What Difference Does It Make?

A guilty confession of lingering love after a relationship destroyed by deceit and petty theft.
Two years after it's release he dismissed it as 'quite shameful', particularly in what he called it's 'juvenile' use of the religious idiom 'the devil will find work for idle hands to do'; a common phrase which, maybe coincidentally, also occurs in Shelagh Delaney's Sweetly Sings The Donkey and Emlyn Willliam's Beyond Belief, both to be found on his bookshelf back in 1982.

What Difference Does It Make?

A guilty confession of lingering love after a relationship destroyed by deceit and petty theft.
Two years after it's release he dismissed it as 'quite shameful', particularly in what he called it's 'juvenile' use of the religious idiom 'the devil will find work for idle hands to do'; a common phrase which, maybe coincidentally, also occurs in Shelagh Delaney's Sweetly Sings The Donkey and Emlyn Willliam's Beyond Belief, both to be found on his bookshelf back in 1982.

This sounds like the review/opinion of someone else, not you.

Interested in your personal thoughts on the song. Or do you just let someone do your thinking for you?

You don't include a source, and you seem to be happy for it to represent your own reading (and possibly in your mind, the only reading) of the song by default, just to shut down any other potential interpretation.

Last edited:
The beauty of this stunned me when I first heard it, and still does every time. Laying down an incredible falsetto while singing 'my life is opera'. Just wow.

Trimmed / isolated audio clip:

Last edited:
The beauty of this stunned me when I first heard it, and still does every time. Laying down an incredible falsetto while singing 'my life is opera'. Just wow.

Trimmed / isolated audio clip:

Yes, one of his late-period greats, and that "my life is opera" trilling is amazing. Even though it's in the Joe Chiccarelli era, I believe it was written earlier; it's definitely more in the Ringleaders/Refusal mode. Scornful and funny, and at some points it almost seems as directed at himself as it is to haughty impotent critics (which Morrissey was for many years. He is uncommon though, in having the talent to back it up and get out of the damnable rut).

Yes, one of his late-period greats, and that "my life is opera" trilling is amazing. Even though it's in the Joe Chiccarelli era, I believe it was written earlier; it's definitely more in the Ringleaders/Refusal mode. Scornful and funny, and at some points it almost seems as directed at himself as it is to haughty impotent critics (which Morrissey was for many years. He is uncommon though, in having the talent to back it up and get out of the damnable rut).
I think it was. It was premiered live in concert in the summer of 2011. Played just once, for some odd reason. That version is stellar, by the way.

I think it is. It was premiered live in concert in the summer of 2011. Played just once, for some odd reason. That version is stellar, by the way.

The video I used to create the clip appears to be from someone on YouTube named Gregor Samsa ;)

I agree it seems to align with earlier tracks. Imagine keeping something that brilliant up your sleeve - makes you wonder what his thought process is with these things. I think the lyrics are just great - very funny, very witty (and very clever)

I think it was. It was premiered live in concert in the summer of 2011. Played just once, for some odd reason. That version is stellar, by the way.

Agree on the live version. A lot of the songs from that Jerry Finn/Tony Visconti period sound better live. They're great songs that don't need the heaped-on things like electro-squawks or a "na na na" children's choir. And I know Morrissey loves the fact that Ennio Morricone conducted an orchestra on Dear God Please Me, but I even prefer the live arrangement of that one too.

Agree on the live version. A lot of the songs from that Jerry Finn/Tony Visconti period sound better live. They're great songs that don't need the heaped-on things like electro-squawks or a "na na na" children's choir. And I know Morrissey loves the fact that Ennio Morricone conducted an orchestra on Dear God Please Me, but I even prefer the live arrangement of that one too.
Mostly agree! But I do have to give the live version of DGPHM another listen. Haven’t heard it in a long time.

The recorded version of Art-Hounds is far too ‘busy’. There are too many sung lines crammed together with not enough breathing room. The live version had potential but the finished product was a let-down. It needed a music director or producer who was willing to make the tough decisions. For example: remove the intro, increase the tempo, scale back some of the wordiness (the almost breathless “will I see ya, will I see ya, will I see ya, will I see ya” lines were unnecessary — there had to be a better way to get that point across), make sure the song finishes at the 4 minute mark rather than at 5+ minutes. Done right, it could have been a single. But, as far as I’m concerned anyway, it wasn’t done right and I don’t enjoy listening to it. The 2014 band wasn’t cut out for recording it; they made a lot of poor musical choices.

Last edited:
I agree it seems to align with earlier tracks. Imagine keeping something that brilliant up your sleeve - makes you wonder what his thought process is with these things. I think the lyrics are just great - very funny, very witty (and very clever)
This bit lets the song down:
IMG_9741.jpeg

While I can relate to being very witty, very funny and very lonely, my downstairs is anything but shrivelled and small.

Back
Top Bottom