Morrissey’s vocal melodies

This bit lets the song down:
View attachment 102882
While I can relate to being very witty, very funny and very lonely, my downstairs is anything but shrivelled and small.

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable
Yeah Right Reaction GIF by Bounce
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago
Surprised No Way GIF by Laff
What Are You Doing Reaction GIF

Just posted this in another thread. Forgot how good this one is, in regards to vocal delivery ….

This bit lets the song down:
View attachment 102882
While I can relate to being very witty, very funny and very lonely, my downstairs is anything but shrivelled and small.
I’ve always felt precisely this. It’s the same thing with “Home is A Question Mark”.
If I ever get there, would you meet me: wrap your legs around my face just to greet me”
Absolutely gorgeous songs marred by one abysmal lyric

I’ve always felt precisely this. It’s the same thing with “Home is A Question Mark”.
If I ever get there, would you meet me: wrap your legs around my face just to greet me”
Absolutely gorgeous songs marred by one abysmal lyric

I think that rhyming couplet is one of the most hilarious things he's ever written, and I love him for it. To me, it's quintessentially Morrissey and it cracks me up every time.

Yes, one of his late-period greats, and that "my life is opera" trilling is amazing. Even though it's in the Joe Chiccarelli era, I believe it was written earlier; it's definitely more in the Ringleaders/Refusal mode. Scornful and funny, and at some points it almost seems as directed at himself as it is to haughty impotent critics (which Morrissey was for many years. He is uncommon though, in having the talent to back it up and get out of the damnable rut).

And we only have one live performance of it. Yet, hundreds of I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris.

I think it was. It was premiered live in concert in the summer of 2011. Played just once, for some odd reason. That version is stellar, by the way.

He even tells us how to spell the title properly in the recording.

However, I never use a lower-case “h” in MP3 tags.

And we only have one live performance of it. Yet, hundreds of I’m Throwing My Arms Around Paris.

Of course, that doesn’t hold a candle to this masterpiece.

I had completely forgotten about that. Absolutely brilliant banter. And what a marvelous version of the song that is. Vastly superior to the WP version. Tempo, phrasing, the playing, the small differences in the lyrics. All of it much better.

I had completely forgotten about that. Absolutely brilliant banter. And what a marvelous version of the song that is. Vastly superior to the WP version. Tempo, phrasing, the playing, the small differences in the lyrics. All of it much better.
I still remember being incredibly disappointed by the album version of this song.

I still remember being incredibly disappointed by the album version of this song.
Me too. The live version is a solid 4. Album version a semi-weak 3.

Back
Top Bottom