The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 65: HOW SOON IS NOW?

How do you rate How Soon Is Now?

• Total voters
Yes, but a classic in YOUR world, not in the Morrissey-world or The Smiths-world or the music world, so it's all about personal taste.

Maybe I should rephrase the rating:

10: One of the best, perfect
9: Not perfect maybe, but f***ing brilliant anyway
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: Decent, OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He/They should be ashamed

Well it IS a classic even with my taste;)

**10**

This song is an absolute classic...... I know it's been overplayed and I sometimes will skip it but when I do listen to it........ I realize why I love Moz and his music so much, this song speaks to me in a way that no one else can.

The live version from the current tour is amazing..... the highlight of the setlist for me.... the transition from Life Is A Pigsty to this song was breathtaking.

gave me goosebumps and chills everytime

I know it's a classic but I am just so sick of hearing it. I think it many ways (mainly by bad cover versions) it's been taken away from the fans.
But it is a unique Smiths song, different to anything else, and with incredible lyrics and guitar (hence it is much covered).

if it wasnt for this song I wouldve never discovered the Smiths. And I would only know it was "that cool song on the Wedding Singer soundtrack." so yes, its a 10.

I know it's a classic but I am just so sick of hearing it. I think it many ways (mainly by bad cover versions) it's been taken away from the fans.
But it is a unique Smiths song, different to anything else, and with incredible lyrics and guitar (hence it is much covered).

I'm sick of hearing it too but it's the band's anthem. If this isn't a 10, nothing is.

I personally hate this song. Cant understand why people like it so much. Neither the melody nor the lyrics work for me.

When choosing my score I try and imagine hearing the song for the first time today against the music out there now. This song would still be fresh, timeless and pure genius by any of today's standards. Therefore it's got to be a 10.

Fraid I have to agree with Noel Gallagher when it comes to this song; he said that it was a terrific piece of music ruined by a duff lyric about not being able to ‘pull’ in a night-club. “I am human and I need to be loved” just makes me cringe! (a bit like “I’m a creep, I’m a weirdo” by the Radioheads).

Having said that, when I heard Moz sing it live recently, it was a pretty amazing experience, probably because I never listen to it at home so it sounds a bit more fresh. So 10 for the music, 5 for the lyrics.

Great tune. Ground breaking. 8/10.​

people who mark it down because it's 'overplayed' are cretins. You should be judging it as a piece of music not how often it has been fecking played.

Last edited:
people who mark it down because it's 'overplayed' are cretins. You should be judging it as a piece of music not how often it has been fecking played.

I said 'overplayed' meaning 'not worth being played that often'. Duh.

'Cretins' seems a little harsh.
Some Smiths songs sound fantastic regardless of how many times you've heard them but others one just seems to tire of and I think it's only fair that this is reflected in the marks we give.
Back to the Old House, Ask, Boy with the Thorn, Please Please Please, Sweet and Tender are just a few of the many Smiths songs that I still love listening to.
How Soon is Now simply isn't along with Heaven Knows, Panic, Hand in Glove etc...

Back
Top Bottom