The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 192: THE QUEEN IS DEAD

How do you rate The Queen Is Dead?

• Total voters
One of his finest and wittiest moments. It's wonderful that his repertoire spans songs like this as well as things like 'Asleep'. A truly great artist at one of his many peaks.

"Sweetie-Pie" got a 10 from me, so did "The Queen Is Dead". Different songs, both adorable. Why should I be ashamed? :confused:

10/10. Masterpiece. And may I add, listen to this song, People who gave Sweetie Pie 10/10 and hang your arse in shame....... They are from different planets musically AND lyrically.​

i remember this song really didnt do much for me at first, but it slowly started to grow on me, and now I just love it.
Same for me. :)

This is a truly astonishing song, and perhaps represents the four Smiths on top of their game better than any other.
I've been thinking what to say for days. And my main thought was exactly that all the four members are on top here.
I love the studio version (I like the live versions too), I hear all the instruments, "loud and clear"
Joyce's drums are excellent as much as the bass and the guitar. It rocks.
And of course one of Morrissey's best moments.

This is my favourite Smiths song now.

never cared greatly for this song; blasphemy I know!
the musicianship is virtuoso, the lyrics are rich, witty and intelligent, but the vocal melody is just too weak and repetitive (like in 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now'). there are only really three notes...

They song will always be an ultimate faveorite. I adore how morrissey is introduced ,hes just sweeping onto the album to kick it off in an almost godlike way . It moves me so strongly - seriously mood altering melody and i adore his 'yodelling' , its just so beautiful. I agree its their best opener and it fulfills the purpose of being a song you can listen to on your own in the dark or have it blaringly loud just feeling the sound of it . so i broke into the palace with a sponge and a rusty spanner... genius is truly present in this song . When you listen to it you feel like its really making a difference to your life. big massive 10 for me and i don't see personally how it could be any lower.

10/10. Masterpiece. And may I add, listen to this song, People who gave Sweetie Pie 10/10 and hang your arse in shame....... They are from different planets musically AND lyrically.​

EXACTLY ! That's why I love them both

The greatest Smiths epic, and easily one of their top 5, perhaps 3, songs ever written. The perfect start to their best album. An easy 10 out of 10.

Back
Top Bottom