The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 192: THE QUEEN IS DEAD

How do you rate The Queen Is Dead?

• Total voters
Morrissey doesn't write 'em like this anymore. "Life is very long when you're lonely" is a line that meant the world to me, as I'm sure it did to most people. I was always a bit disappointed when he would cut out the "but the rain that flattens my hair, these are the things that kill me" line when he performed it live.

Oh, what is there to say? An easy 10.

For the longest time, I always thought that the lyric was "Life is very long, when you don't live", and I still do sing that, because I think it sounds better :o

In honor of the righteous anti-racist hero Conor McNicholas I think it's only fair that we ask Morrissey to re-record "The Queen Is Dead" to better suit the kind of McWorld McNicholas wants to live in:

THE QUEEN OFFENDS ME

Farewell to this land's preserved wetlands
Hemmed in like two clouds between two clouds
Our symbolic sovereign dealing with health issues
I apologize in advance - but in my humble opinion it's an agreeable situation in which to find oneself

Pardon me, Charles, don't you ever crave
To appear on the front of the Daily Mail
In full state regalia preserving quaint local customs?
Oh ...
And so I Googled all the registered historical facts
And I was shocked into shame to discover
How I'm the 18th pigmentless descendant
Of some former racist slavemaster or other

Oh, has the world changed or am I out of touch with progress?
Some 9-year old oppressed youth who peddles drugs
I swear to a pantheistic non-denominational higher spirit
I was lucky not to know what drugs were because of my socio-economic privilege as a white male
Oh...
So, I creatively entered the superannuated ancestral home
With a biodegradable sponge and a recycled spanner
She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
I said : "That's just your opinion - and while I respect your right to have an opinion I must cordially disagree"

We can go for a walk where it's quiet and dry
And talk about non-exploitative authentic trinkets from self-empowered emerging market exporters
But when your Mother has stunted your growth with anachronistic tribal bonds
No-one talks about forced genital mutilation
Oh ...

And talk about non-exploitative authentic trinkets from self-empowered emerging market exporters
Like politically correct reggae on BBC1 and establishing non-confrontational social diversity
Oh, these are the things that are hurtful to my self-esteem

But the rain that flattens my hair ...
Fellows, we really MUST get serious about global warming

All their untruths about make-up and long hair, persist in their late capitalist systems of racism and domination

Past the drinking establishment that minimizes the efficiency of your circulatory system
And the church who'll reduce your level of consumer spending
The Queen is offensive to under-represented portions of the population, boys
And it's so challenging to support positivity on a limb
Past the drinking establishment that minimizes the efficiency of your circulatory system
And the church who'll cut your consumer spending

You can trust me, boys

Life is very long, when you're unable to establish healthy emotional connections with others
Life is very long, when you're unable to establish healthy emotional connections with others

hahaha. omg Worm. this was great. thank you for another sexy sexy post! :p

i remember this song really didnt do much for me at first, but it slowly started to grow on me, and now I just love it. I was so happy I was able to hear it live. a f***ing great opener. 10 plz.

what a great intro, my all time favorite smiths song, and my favorite smiths album, i absolutley love this song and its got some great lines, like charles dont you ever claim to appear on the front of the daily mail dressed in your mothers bridal veil. and the line when your tied to your mothers apron no one talks about castration.

Then there's Morrissey's lyrics, which are some of the best he's ever written. It's political, but it's also personal. It isn't a simplistic anti-monarchy rant - it's one person reflecting on the loss of the country he knows, and the sense of loneliness he feels at being the only one who realises what is happening. It's endlessly quotable, beautifully written, truly poetic. And his vocal work is equal to it.

Wait, you mean he's been saying the same thing, the whole time? What do you know...

anyway. 10 all the way. Can we have this one go all the way to 11? Brilliant.

Where were the guys like you when I was in high school?

And what egg?

Hiding, listening to the Smiths and terrified of girls (Pretty Girls Make Graves, you know?), like most of us quality male types. (Actually, I had a redhead gf in high school.)

The signature is a line from Charlie Chaplin's "The Circus," which for some reason struck me as signature-worthy when I saw it the other night.

In honor of the righteous anti-racist hero Conor McNicholas I think it's only fair that we ask Morrissey to re-record "The Queen Is Dead" to better suit the kind of McWorld McNicholas wants to live in:

THE QUEEN OFFENDS ME

Farewell to this land's preserved wetlands
Hemmed in like two clouds between two clouds
Our symbolic sovereign dealing with health issues
I apologize in advance - but in my humble opinion it's an agreeable situation in which to find oneself

Pardon me, Charles, don't you ever crave
To appear on the front of the Daily Mail
In full state regalia preserving quaint local customs?
Oh ...
And so I Googled all the registered historical facts
And I was shocked into shame to discover
How I'm the 18th pigmentless descendant
Of some former racist slavemaster or other

Some 9-year old oppressed youth who peddles drugs
I swear to a pantheistic non-denominational higher spirit
I was lucky not to know what drugs were because of my socio-economic privilege as a white male
Oh...
So, I creatively entered the superannuated ancestral home
With a biodegradable sponge and a recycled spanner
She said : "Eh, I know you, and you cannot sing"
I said : "That's just your opinion - and while I respect your right to have an opinion I must cordially disagree"

But when your Mother has stunted your growth with anachronistic tribal bonds
No-one talks about forced genital mutilation
Oh ...

Like politically correct reggae on BBC1 and establishing non-confrontational social diversity
Oh, these are the things that are hurtful to my self-esteem

But the rain that flattens my hair ...
Fellows, we really MUST get serious about global warming

All their untruths about make-up and long hair, persist in their late capitalist systems of racism and domination

And the church who'll reduce your level of consumer spending
And it's so challenging to support positivity on a limb
And the church who'll cut your consumer spending

You can trust me, boys

damn, my whats the story morning glory coffee on the screen:D

email it to the eNeMEy...

great stuff, hope other mags are browsing around and pick this one up,
you need an agent Worm

10/10. Masterpiece. And may I add, listen to this song, People who gave Sweetie Pie 10/10 and hang your arse in shame....... They are from different planets musically AND lyrically.​

it doesnt get any better than this:

I broke into the palace
with a sponge and a rusty spanner
she said i know you and you cannot sing
i said thats nothing
you should hear me play piana

although Worm i like your version very much

TQID is a 10 and should be in the top 10 of the whole poll.

Back
Top Bottom