The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 65: HOW SOON IS NOW?

How do you rate How Soon Is Now?

• Total voters
Call me crazy if you must, but I've never been a fan of this song. When it was first released as the b-side of "William, It Was Really Nothing" I thought it was boring and probably the worst b-side the Smiths had yet released. When it was included in the American version of Meat Is Murder, I was annoyed since I had to skip over it when I listened to the record. When it was released as its own single, I wondered why. And now that it has become one of the most beloved of all Smiths songs, I still wonder why. Granted, the lyrics are brilliant... but it just goes on and on and on and on and on and it's so repetitive. And I find the Bo Diddley-inspired music to be very dull. Give me gorgeous chord progressions like in "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" over this anyday. I still sigh and prepare for a dull six minutes whenever I hear the opening chords live.

But, thanks to the superior lyrics, I will give it a 7.

11. Put aside for a minute how many times you've heard it and reflect on when you were first listening to it. Awesome song.

Very good point!!! Sent shivers up my spine the first time I consciously listened to it.

This is the song that got me listening to The Smiths. Love it! 10!

11/10. It's an 80s anthem.
Superb lyrics, and Johnny's best work. Amazing.

Yes, it's overplayed, but it's still f***ing good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom