Margaret Hilda Thatcher

Cheers Grim,
Coming from a mining area I could tell you hundreds of stories about the strike. People in communities stuck together, some of the old ones said it was just like it had been in the war where everyone helped everyone else. I knew whole families who lost everything, and I mean everything. Kids went without Xmas pressies, people lost their homes and were paying off the debts years after. So let us not forget what Thatcher did to the decent hard working class of this country. Us in Yorkshire shall never forget.
Musley xx

Although I'm not from a mining community we knew what it meant & we should have all done more, I would drop off tins of food etc for the striking families, at the weekly collections in our town centre, which was the least I could do.

It was that Miners Strike that really opened up my political eyes & unfortunately I never had the balls to go on any Miners demo's but like I said that was my waking call & I did start making demo's for other striking workers after that. I got to meet Scargill up in Dundee at the timex workers dispute many years later & I was stood behind him when he was being interviewed by some news repoter & he said he was appalled to see such violence on a march & we were all thinking wtf is he saying then he finished it with, yes but they are the same vicious thugs that attacked us during our strike!

love

Grim

No there won't be any tears in our household when the old bag finally croaks. My father was on strike for a year in '84 and we lived at Orgreave. He went to join the pickets down the road and witnessed the horror of it all, he said it was akin to a civil war. Thugs dressed as police beating the living daylights out of people. Bastards. He only went once, he said he couldn't face it again. We knew of families and communities town apart. She is one evil evil woman!

As a kid I watched the peaceful striking miners of Polkement sharing tea from their flasks with police. Then busses of 'Police' turned up in riot gear and proceeded to kick f*** out of the miners (Mainly old men.) for no reason at all. I saw the same thing at the steelworks in Craigneuk. These events had a major impact in my life and my view of the world.

Polkement and Craigneuk are now just scars in the landscape.

The effect of the miners strike carry on to this day in the small town I live in. Friends, families and a community torn apart. Just one of the many scars left on Scotland by that f***ing evil bitch.

Last edited:
As a kid I watched the peaceful striking miners of Polkement sharing tea from their flasks with police. Then busses of 'Police' turned up in riot gear and proceeded to kick f*** out of the miners (Mainly old men.) for no reason at all. I saw the same thing at the steelworks in Craigneuk. These events had a major impact in my life and my view of the world.

Polkement and Craigneuk are now just scars in the landscape.

The effect of the miners strike carry on to this day in the small town I live in. Freinds, families and a community torn apart. Just one of the many scars left on Scotland by that f***ing evil bitch.

It's funny you should mention it but I was driving through a village not far from where I live. I hadn't been before and couldn't believe it. It had, in it's heyday been a mining village, the whole village economy centred round the mine. Now it is like somewhere in the third world. Houses, shops, pubs boarded up. Ferral kids running around all over and tired looking people, obviously unemployed, skulking about. It was awful. The village I live in now lost it's pit in 1988 but we have been lucky to have money from the pits regeneration scheme invested in it and it's now really nice. My dad worked down the pit all his life and says it's no place to earn a living, he's 76 now and has emphysema, but says he doesn't regret it one bit. It was a way of life that is no more, along with the steel works in Sheffield and Rotherham and the ship building and docks in other cities. That is Thatchers legacy.
Musley xx

you obviously have little understanding of what she was about & what she did to us! That she is incapble of any more harm to us is irrelevent, she will still leave scars long after she's left us in peace!

love

Grim

Bear in mind this is posted by Grim, who has said numerous times that his most admired political hero is Lenin......

As "free" as the USA is, it's surprising the lack of world news that is broadcast here. With all the satellite television stations, nothing really covering the world. We have BBC America but that's only good for watching things like Torchwood, Cash In The Attic and What Not to Wear.

But then maybe its just me being an ostrich.

What kind of a moron are you? Your great U.S. of A. invented the freakin' INTERNET, which allows you to access more information from more places around the world - at your fingertips - than any other generation in human history. And here you are whining away, suggesting that you cannot find info about what's going on in the world, and weirdly suggesting that America is some kind of un-free country that is trying to block you from information/news.

Last edited:
Here's one of Morrissey's favorite writers, Julie Burchill (recently name-checked by him in his statement concerning his NME/immigration scandal), on Thatcher:

Mrs Thatcher meant, and still means, many things — some of which she is not yet aware of herself, as we are not. Only death brings proper perspective to the triumphs and failures of a political career; it is only with the blank look and full stop of death that that old truism “all political careers end in failure” stops being true. Only a terminally smug liberal would still write her off as an uptight bundle of Little Englandisms, seeking to preserve the old order, however hard she worked that look at first; voting for her was something akin to buying what one thought was a Vera Lynn record, getting it home and finding a Sex Pistols single inside.

She was just as much about revolution as reaction, and part of any revolution is destruction. Some of the things she destroyed seemed like a shame at the time, such as the old industries — though on balance, isn’t there anything good about the fact that thousands of young men who once simply because of who their fathers were would have been condemned to a life spent underground in the darkness, and an early death coughing up bits of lung, now won’t be? It’s interesting to note that while some middle and even upper-class people choose to go into “low” jobs — journalist, actor, sportsman, plumber — which pay well and/or are a good laugh, no one ever went out of their way to become a miner. “Dogs are bred to retrieve birds and Welshman to go down mines,” said some vile old-school Tory; not any more they’re not, thanks to Mrs T.

Her appetite for destruction was more often than not spot-on. Mrs Thatcher was hated by the old Tory establishment because she, more than any Labour leader, brought down the culture of deference, of knowing one’s place. This led to the very British cultural social comedy of left-wing poshos such as the Foots being outraged by the upstart, while outsiders who should on paper have been Labour voters recognised her as one of them.

One of my younger friends, a very angry, talented, Anglo-Punjabi man of profoundly working-class origin, remembers as a child crying inconsolably for days when Mrs Thatcher was unseated by her own party. It says it all that the Queen far preferred the company of the Labour Prime Ministers Wilson and Callaghan than she did the Conservative Thatcher; the Queen could smell the lack of respect on Mrs T, and it put her back up no end.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/article378507.ece

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom