Leeds - Millennium Square (July 12, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

How Soon Is Now? / Suedehead / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Irish Blood, English Heart / Girlfriend In A Coma / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Notre-Dame / I Wish You Lonely / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / The Night Pop Dropped / Half A Person / Our Frank / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Knockabout World / The Loop / Please Please Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper / Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of Anon.

Last edited by a moderator:
There were no Union Jacks and St George’s flags that I saw at the show. In fact there were no flags at all. Why would the reviewer pretend there was…? And even if there was - which there wasn’t - so what?

The reality was that there were thousands of people enjoying themselves and having a laugh, and yet according to this guy it was full of nationalistic menace (which he appears to have conveniently inserted in himself). Says more about him than it does about anything else.
There was a Union Jack in the crowd down the front

There were no Union Jacks and St George’s flags that I saw at the show. In fact there were no flags at all. Why would the reviewer pretend there was…? And even if there was - which there wasn’t - so what?

The reality was that there were thousands of people enjoying themselves and having a laugh, and yet according to this guy it was full of nationalistic menace (which he appears to have conveniently inserted in himself). Says more about him than it does about anything else.
IMG_9045.jpeg

Ah right, fair enough, well I missed that. But then it goes back to my original caveat - even if there was, so what? There’s literally nothing wrong with it. The vibe of that show was one of joy among the crowd, there was nothing sinister about any of it.
Oh no I completely agree, Moz also didn’t say anything that could be misconstrued as riling people up either, he was a cheeky spirits throughout. Felt the crowd overall had a really good vibe about it too - aside from a few fists flying in some small, drunken circles, which is to be expected, sweet n tender after all

Ah right well I missed that. But then goes back to my original caveat - even if there was, so what? There’s literally nothing wrong with it. The vibe of that show was one of joy among the crowd, there was nothing sinister about any of it.
In Nottingham, a number of people I encountered, when the topic of Morrissey’s political musings came up, said something along the lines of “you know what, he’s right!” or “he’s saying what we’re all thinking” … He’s certainly not saying what I’m thinking.
It does feel as though the fanbase has changed and, while I wouldn’t say it’s more sinister, it is different.
Or maybe I just bumped into a few wrong ’uns.

In Nottingham, a number of people I encountered, when the topic of Morrissey’s political musings came up, said something along the lines of “you know what, he’s right!” or “he’s saying what we’re all thinking” … He’s certainly not saying what I’m thinking.
It does feel as though the fanbase has changed and, while I wouldn’t say it’s more sinister, it is different.
I don’t know if the fan base has actually changed that much, to me it’s pretty much the same as it was in the 90s, the only difference being that some of the stereotypical ‘sensitive’ Smiths type fans have burnt all their old records primarily so they could tell everyone about it on social media 😆 the rest of the crowd - that odd mix of eclectic misfits and working class blokes you’d see down the pub - remains the same.

Last edited:

I agree with you. Whether flags were there or not I don’t see a problem. Leeds is in Great Britain and what is wrong with people displaying the Union flag. Can you imagine this being frowned upon in other countries? Imagine a US outdoor event without the Stars and Stripes, imagine Glastonbury without national flags. It’s crazy that this is called out at a Morrissey gig.

All I saw in Leeds was people having a great time and that included non-white people too. The reviewer failed to mention that.

Society has changed for one thing, it is not 1985 anymore, when being left wing simply meant hating Thatcher. Now if people express frustration that none of their neighbours speak English they are told they are just to the right of Goebbels.

For the Universe ...

Society has changed for one thing, it is not 1985 anymore, when being left wing simply meant hating Thatcher. Now if people express frustration that none of their neighbours speak English they are told they are just to the right of Goebbels.
But Morrissey said Hitler was left wing? I can’t keep up.

I agree with you. Whether flags were there or not I don’t see a problem. Leeds is in Great Britain and what is wrong with people displaying the Union flag. Can you imagine this being frowned upon in other countries? Imagine a US outdoor event without the Stars and Stripes, imagine Glastonbury without national flags. It’s crazy that this is called out at a Morrissey gig.

All I saw in Leeds was people having a great time and that included non-white people too. The reviewer failed to mention that.
The same reviewer for YEP said: "Morrissey displayed no indication of issues as he tore through an 18-song set replete with trademark chest baring, flower throwing and off-the-cuff remark making."

Was there chest baring and flower-throwing in Leeds? I missed those videos. What a worthless waste of a review :poop:

Was there chest baring and flower-throwing in Leeds? I missed those videos. What a worthless waste of a review :poop:
Actually there was! The shirt was pretty much open underneath the jacket by the middle of the set and he did also throw back a bunch of flowers.

there was a guy with a union jack right next to me , cos he kept blocking everybody's view everytime he held it up.
I cannot say if the menace was nationalistic but there was definitely a menace in the audience ( I've seen moz 4 times in Leeds and that menace has been there every time ) ... a lot of pissed up idiots wading through people like they weren't there . I enjoyed my 38th moz gig but the idiots always taint it a bit

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom