a light flickers

When a kindred spirit from the past visits you at your current job, it can either be a sign of reassurance that things will be okay, or it can feel like a wake-up call that things are not okay, because their visit reminds you of who you really are, and how you are ignoring the feelings you keep getting that you really don't belong there. I am in alignment with the work that I do, and how I can be of service to others, but I do not feel welcome there at all. I have a great boss, but unfortunately I don't get to work with him side by side, I have to work with people who bully me and don't pull their own weight. This is the first time in my entire history of being in the workforce that I am having to deal with intensely negative people and one bully who really needs to be medicated, sedated, or shot out of a cannon.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard, and what a cliche it is: 60 year old narcissist and champion dingbat constantly makes little digs at how I dress. I always try to ignore it and take the high road because I don't want to engage. That saying, "don't feed the trolls" applies in real life as well. But it's getting to the point where enough is enough. She is acting like a pre-teen making fun of the classmate who is "different."

And the funny thing is, I don't dress in any kind of extreme or weird way at all. I don't think a black top and jeans is considered out of the ordinary. Black is classic cool, and everyone looks good in black. I don't know what to say to her other than, stop being a bully. What I want to say is, f*ck off you vapid whore, but I obviously don't want to inflame the issue. I don't know what to do. I don't work for a company that addresses anything at all, they prefer to sweep things under the rug. That would be avoidant personality type.

The work culture I've been a part of for the last 30 years has always been very good. I always had intelligent, creative people to associate with, but now I feel like a fish out of water. I dread going in. I have bills to pay, and it's a good schedule. What to do. Update resume and be ready to leap, taking the risk that it will be alright.

Comments

There are no comments to display.

Blog entry information

Author
Violeta
Read time
2 min read
Views
Last update

More entries in General

More entries from Violeta

• wavelengths
    Life is too nuanced to engage in black and white thinking. And those who do typically jump to...
  • onwards and upwards
    Nothing gets me out of the house. Nothing. I'll find ways around it. But on Sundays I have to...
  • trains and falling leaves
    I love this time of year. I'm watching the leaves swirl and dance in the wind, to the sound of...
  • spinning in the dust
    I work in one of the nuttiest health food stores around. A small mom and pop. The other day, a...

Share this entry

Back
Top Bottom