Morrissey Central "There Is A Happy Land." (February 14, 2024)

There Is A Happy Land.

The title assumed to be a Bowie reference - inspiration?
Regards,
FWD.

I can’t tell did the treatment in Zurich go well? He sounds like his normal self again posting the track like that, but it’s still really pessimistic! 😵‍💫 Perhaps he would prefer the way Valentine’s Day is celebrated in Finland, because here in one of the happiest countries in the world it’s also a Friendship Day. Anyway, with the recent news about the new management, there may be some more information about one of the albums being scheduled for the release later this year 🤞🏼

And there's also this novel by northern writer Keith Waterhouse, who also wrote Billy Liar (see also: 'William It Was Really Nothing'). The book (at the link) seems to have provided some inspiration for Bowie:

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/3247379

"There is a Happy Land tells of the events of a few weeks in the life of a small boy on a north county council estate and the rhubarb fields, quarries and Cleark of Works' yard that are his playground."

Compare with some words from the song:

"There's a special place in the rhubarb fields
Underneath the leaves.
It's a secret place and adults aren't allowed there,
Mr Grown-up, go away, sir."

Last edited:
Butler offered him "Yes" in 93/94, which would have been his penultimate mid 90s hitlist 🇬🇧 smasher.
Offered it to Brett or Morrissey? It's hard to imagine it done by anyone other than McAlmont now. Superb performance. Lyrically like Morrissey's style too.

Offered it to Brett or Morrissey? It's hard to imagine it done by anyone other than McAlmont now. Superb performance. Lyrically like Morrissey's style too.

To Morrissey.The dynamic of the strings is unbeatable. Would have sounded different with his vocals.

I still wonder why they didn't use sailors for Uncle's sake, but skinny models instead? Just out of self-interest?
It would also have suited the text much better, where sailors have fun with the protagonist in his mother's "backyard".
Ir's probably how SER gets girls.....I have this uncle, he's really famous.......I'll put you in a video and make you a star.....

Ir's probably how SER gets girls.....I have this uncle, he's really famous.......I'll put you in a video and make you a star.....
Yeah, could be. Judging by his preference for (not very good looking) lingerie shots he sprawls for days over his instagram, I think he prefers it that way. I wonder, if Morrissey gives him total free reign, because this video was so un-Morrisseyesque, that it hurts.

Yeah, could be. Judging by his preference for (not very good looking) lingerie shots he sprawls for days over his instagram, I think he prefers it that way. I wonder, if Morrissey gives him total free reign, because this video was so un-Morrisseyesque, that it hurts.
That is definitely a strange video, but it reminds me a bit of the cover of Roxy Music's Country Life.
I think the video could have been interesting if the girls were near Morrissey or sort of draped on him or something because we have never seen anything like that, but SER probably filmed them in his basement and edited them in.

That is definitely a strange video, but it reminds me a bit of the cover of Roxy Music's Country Life.
I think the video could have been interesting if the girls were near Morrissey or sort of draped on him or something because we have never seen anything like that, but SER probably filmed them in his basement and edited them in.
Sorry, what had girls to offer anyway??? :)
Maybe I would like the song more, if Morrissey had been taken for a ride by two burly sailors. But Village People or Pet Shop Boys, that would have been too much of a good thing. Better to give the nephew a treat. At the after-show parties, I've been told, SER is always surrounded by lots of women. Perhaps he promises to play a leading role in the upcoming videos. The uncle doesn't care anymore.

Sorry, what had girls to offer anyway??? :)
Maybe I would like the song more, if Morrissey had been taken for a ride by two burly sailors. But Village People or Pet Shop Boys, that would have been too much of a good thing. Better to give the nephew a treat. At the after-show parties, I've been told, SER is always surrounded by lots of women. Perhaps he promises to play a leading role in the upcoming videos. The uncle doesn't care anymore.
Absolutely with you on that, Phranc. This video looks so cheap with random pseudo sexy girls in there (nothing against them, they are hot, but I think the direction/production of this video is just plain cheap and their insertion doesn't make any sense to me, so yeah they didnt offer anything) and then Moz sings randomly on stage. It's like he tried to make one for the boys so he let nephew do it. I don't know, to me SER doesn't seem to be talented in photography/videography, although it's his job, but Uncle is ok with that (which is nice of him I guess). I don't know, SER's work often makes me cringe. Love the sailors idea!

Absolutely with you on that, Phranc. This video looks so cheap with random pseudo sexy girls in there (nothing against them, they are hot, but I think the direction/production of this video is just plain cheap and their insertion doesn't make any sense to me, so yeah they didnt offer anything) and then Moz sings randomly on stage. It's like he tried to make one for the boys so he let nephew do it. I don't know, to me SER doesn't seem to be talented in photography/videography, although it's his job, but Uncle is ok with that (which is nice of him I guess). I don't know, SER's work often makes me cringe. Love the sailors idea!
On point (as always MIMI). We have to admit, the Mozman himself looks very handsome with quiff intact in that questionable video. Not impressed by the girls in any form.
https://makeagif.com/i/2yGzQP

Last edited:
I much prefer the fan made music video which replaced the girls with kittens grooming each other lol, the rather anorexic girls in lingerie are off-putting personally

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom