The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 104: LIFE IS A PIGSTY

How do you rate Life Is A Pigsty?

• Total voters
I have a disturbing theory about this song -- where its true vitriol comes from and the lyric:

I feel too cold
And now I feel too warm again
Can you stop this pain?

It was somewhat confirmed by Morrissey himself at least one of his shows.

So what is the theory???

--jeniphir

Exactly. We're polling hardcore Morrissey fans about Morrissey songs -- it counts for a lot -- for everything, really.

If the majority says it's one of his best solo songs, then it is.

Popular among the Moz fans, not the great British public.
Slight difference there!

I gave it a 4. Definitely one of my least favorite Morrissey songs. The music goes from all right to absolutely cringeworthy and the lyrics are horribly uninspired to say the least... Sorry, guys.

Well, I'm afraid your vote will make very little difference. Sorry Aurora!
This song will go down as one of the best ever Moz songs (both Alain and Morrissey have, on separate occasions, described it as the best Morrissey/Whyte composition).
I don't think it's one of the best ever but I'm still glad to see it doing well. Shows we are keeping an open mind about his recent stuff and not all living in the dim and distant past...

I rate this song very highly. Hearing it live made all the difference to me. Sung with devastating emotion and dedicated on that occasion to a lost relative.

It's the same old S.O.S.
but with brand new broken fortunes
and once again I turn to you...

I am the same underneath
but this you
...you surely knew?

And if you don't know this, then
what do you know?
every second of my life
I live only live for you
and you can shoot me
and you can throw me off a train
but I still maintain...

And I've been shifting gears all of my life
but I'm still the same underneath
this you surely knew?
I can't reach you
I can't reach you
I can't reach you anymore

Can you please stop time?
can you stop the pain?
I feel too cold
and now I feel too warm again
can you stop this pain?
can you stop this pain?
even now, in the final hour of my life
I'm falling in love again
again

The first part.. an acknowledgement to God/ loved one that once again they are being called on in time of trouble..
And despite all the twists and turns of time, choices and fate, it’s the same person underneath it all, calling out. All the changes in circumstance have not altered the person beneath that.

I interpret a person who has always been an important part of the narrator’s life but is now unreachable, through distance or death. The lyrics suggest even a violent death could not kill the devotion, and reinforces the belief that life IS a pigsty.

The pain of loss being unbearable, alternating between hot grief and cold numbness.
Yet even in this tragedy there is space for love and comfort.

A meditation on love and loss. On endings and continuity. Pessimistic. Yet over time a fade out of "Auld Lang Syne" was added, perhaps as a suggestion that the seperation of death is only for a time, and we will meet again in a happier place.

Wasn’t there a film by Pasolini called “Pigsty”? Does the film have any bearing on the song?

It seems to be the highest rated solo song thus far, and will probably remain in the top three. So the barking of the vocal minority will fall by the wayside anyway...

Edit: Second highest, my mistake. Of course Everyday has it beat.

Well, it's rating has dropped slightly below 9 now, which means that it's currently beaten by Sunday, Ripper, Hairdresser, First Of and Late Night.
Still a very good rating though and it will certainly be the best performing song from 2006 in the final list.

This song is just wonderful... Modern, musically innovative, the effects are great. The lyrics are so damn true, I mean... Life is a pigsty... And if you don't know this, then what do you know... Kind of, what world do you live in!! I love it. And it doesn't sound typical Morrissey at all. A 10 :D

I heard the most moving story, of a man who was literally dying. The only sense left to him besides pain was his hearing. And he heard this voice over the radio, singing,

"Can you please stop time?
can you stop the pain?
I feel too cold
and now I feel too warm again
can you stop this pain?
can you stop this pain?
even now, in the final hour of my life
I'm falling in love again
again."

And he lived. He focused on that voice and lived until help came. I can't tell more of the story, I don't know a whole lot more than that. And it's not my story. Maybe he will come here and tell us. I look for that man every time I go to the place where I met him, but I've never seen him again. I'm beginning to think he was a ghost.

This song nearly always brings a tear to my eye. I adore it, but I went for a 9 because I am not sure that it wont be bettered and also, I don't think we are voting selectively enough on this poll!!!

I like the first 2:30

then it loses me.

**10**

Such a beautiful piece of music, and lyrically captivating. One of Morrissey's greatest solo achievements. If you don't get emotional listening to this song, you probably don't have a heart. It also happens to be the highlight of the current live set. Nothing else in contemporary music can touch this. Stunning.

Coiff.

I get so frustrated with the "Pope of Mope" and the assumption that Morrissey is all about misery. Anyone who says that just hasn't really listened. There is always more than meets the eye (or ear) in these songs. And always, there is that powerful wistfulness that suggests a sliver of hope. "even now, in the final hour of my life, I am falling in love again." And none of it would be as powerful if I didn't identify so strongly with it.

I get so frustrated with the "Pope of Mope" and the assumption that Morrissey is all about misery. Anyone who says that just hasn't really listened. There is always more than meets the eye (or ear) in these songs. And always, there is that powerful wistfulness that suggests a sliver of hope. "even now, in the final hour of my life, I am falling in love again."

I quite agree.

I get so frustrated with the "Pope of Mope" and the assumption that Morrissey is all about misery. Anyone who says that just hasn't really listened. There is always more than meets the eye (or ear) in these songs. And always, there is that powerful wistfulness that suggests a sliver of hope. "even now, in the final hour of my life, I am falling in love again." And none of it would be as powerful if I didn't identify so strongly with it.

You beat me to the punch. I was going to quote that exact line to insist that "Life Is A Pigsty" isn't a mopey depressing song at all. There is a hopefulness in its heart. It's written from the perspective of someone who has been downtrodden and heartbroken and sees so much suffering around them, yet refuses to give up hope. (In that way, it's the opposite of "Asleep".) I think that's why so many of us can relate to it so well. We understand that emotion.

This is indeed an epic song, and not one that I found easy to 'get into'. As the epic centrepiece of Ringleader, it appropriately encapsulates the lyrical theme's of the album with it's reflection on age, despair, love and hope, and yet it's mood and musical depth contrasts severely with the prevailing musical tone of the record. It is certainly the most experimental moment on the record.

At first, I wasn't that impressed; I enjoyed the lyrical content right away, which regardless of the in-your-face title and heart of sleeve lines, are wonderful and possess depth. However, at 7 minutes, I was expecting a climax on the scale of "Speedway", but the whole song just continues as one slow burner. This isn't a bad thing once you accept that fact, but I find myself always wanting for somesort of exploding finale to this song, but it builds and builds yet never arrives.

Still, after a few listens, I embraced it. It is a powerful song. It is one of those rare occasions where Moz deviates from the pop-forumla and embraces an experimental edge while retaining all of his identification with old themes and thoughts. This gets an 8 from me, short of a 9 for it's failure to live up to my musical expectations towards the end.

Back
Top Bottom