The Godfather Of Emo?

munkedukr

There was a little blurb about the Clearwater show in my local paper today, and it referred to Moz as "The Godfather Of Emo." I've never really understood what emo means. I know some of the bands associated with emo, though I don't know their music. And I can recognize the fashion style of some people who are into emo, but I still don't know what the genre is and what makes it unique from other types of rock. Is this description of Moz accurate, or is it an insult?

There was a little blurb about the Clearwater show in my local paper today, and it referred to Moz as "The Godfather Of Emo." I've never really understood what emo means. I know some of the bands associated with emo, though I don't know their music. And I can recognize the fashion style of some people who are into emo, but I still don't know what the genre is and what makes it unique from other types of rock. Is this description of Moz accurate, or is it an insult?

An Insult of course

Emo are just 10% gay and the other 90% hetero guys trying to get laid

Yes he is and the picture of Morrisse at age 13 in the Johnny Rogan book is totally EMO.
(The one where he has longish hair and a shirt with a big freakin' heart on it.):)

real "emo" started in the 1990's with bands like mineral and sunny day real estate and such...what emo is referred to now is shitty bands like my chemical romance, who are just products of the music industry which needed another trend to breed becuase people caught on to previous trends like boy bands and shit like that...

real "emo" started in the 1990's with bands like mineral and sunny day real estate and such...what emo is referred to now is shitty bands like my chemical romance, who are just products of the music industry which needed another trend to breed becuase people caught on to previous trends like boy bands and shit like that...

Oh 90's...I was going to say...They had bands 100 years ago?

Re: The Godfather Of Emo? UNDERDOG

Well you are off by about a decade. Emo actually was first coined as a phrase to describe Washington DC Post-Hardcore bands like Embrace, Rites Of Spring, Soulside, Gray Matter,etc....These were bands that sought to reclaim the thuggishness and machismo of the local HC scene by creating a new brand of "punk" if you will that focused on personal politics and emotions...hence EMO. The bands hated the tag.

Later on it was used to describe offshoot bands like Hoover, Heroin, Sparkmarker...other bands that were from the hardcore scene in the US.

Much later it was used to describe bands like Mineral I suppose.....

Read up!

Anyone who links "Morrissey" and "emo" in the same sentence deserves a red hot poker shoved up their arse :mad:

Oh 90's...I was going to say...They had bands 100 years ago?

I rather think they had minstrels :p

"Morrissey, this minstrel way of singing..." :D

where is worm?

anyway sunny day real estate did not invent emo.

it was the rites of spring and all those boys in w/dc

i can say with very very good authority that guy pee from fugazi is a huge morrissey fan.

heres a little known fact about emos:
many founding fathers of the emo movement REALLY DIG MARK E SMITH and also John Lennon
so i think MARK E SMITH is the GODFATHER of Emo. and maybe John Lennon.

Re: The Godfather Of Emo? UNDERDOG

Well you are off by about a decade. Emo actually was first coined as a phrase to describe Washington DC Post-Hardcore bands like Embrace, Rites Of Spring, Soulside, Gray Matter,etc....These were bands that sought to reclaim the thuggishness and machismo of the local HC scene by creating a new brand of "punk" if you will that focused on personal politics and emotions...hence EMO. The bands hated the tag.

Later on it was used to describe offshoot bands like Hoover, Heroin, Sparkmarker...other bands that were from the hardcore scene in the US.

Much later it was used to describe bands like Mineral I suppose.....

Read up!

oh oi, i skipped your post!!

Emo is short for emotional. I think Morrissey's and The Smith's music is very emotional. Not all Emo bands are crap like Fallout Boy is. I don't understand why Fallout Boy is even Popular.

Emo is short for emotional. I think Morrissey's and The Smith's music is very emotional. Not all Emo bands are crap like Fallout Boy is. I don't understand why Fallout Boy is even Popular.

Emo is Crap...All trendy bands are crap...except for the originators

ie:Nirvana was great..and everyone that copied them were crap

All rock music is ostensibly "emotional". It's the fakers that annoy, and there are fakers in every sub-category of pop. Just so happens that the vast majority of "emo" bands are intolerably phony-- the schmaltzy messages in Hallmark cards are deeper and more interesting than most emo outfits; SNS pretty much hit the nail on the head with 90% of them being sheep in sheep's clothing. They're all skirt-chasing sob artists killing time until they get a real job or become Zach Braff. So, yes, calling Morrissey the "godfather of emo" is indeed an insult. But you can't blame Morrissey for "inspiring" emo any more than you can blame the sun for "inspiring" skin cancer.

its funny, i have a friend that loves " indie" music and is really plugged into the music scene of today. he is always telling me about bands that sound like the cure or sound like depechemode.. i dont get this , if i wanted to hear stuff that sounds like that, why not just listen to the original band? its not like fall out boy or my chemical romance are gonna be better than the older stuff.. rather pointless imo....

any yes, the term emo is retarded ..as is the term goth for that matter...

Back
Top Bottom