New NME Morrissey interview???

An excerpt from the offending part of the interview then, as I've got a bit of time now. Obviously the danger is an extract risks the context, but this is fairly representative :

Q you live in italy now. would you ever consider moving back to Britain ?

A Britain's a terribly negative. And it hammers people down and it pulls you back and it prevents you. Also, with the issue of immigration, it's very difficult because although I don't have anything against people from other countries, the higher the influx into England, the more the Britich identity disappears. So the price is enormous. If you travel to Germany, it's still absolutely Germany. If you travel to sweden, it still has a Swedish identity. But travel to england and you have no idea where you are !

Morrissey is right, to a degree. I've been round Europe and the world a lot this year, and in certain cities here in the UK, he's right about the loss of identity. Less so in Ireland as a whole, and Scotland for that matter.

Peter

Anyway, Moz can't be serious about the "immigrants" unless he wants to send his own parents back to Ireland. Isn't it a bit disrespectful to them unless he conveniently forgets how he was called "Paddy"?
Morrissey's parents did not prone communitarism, is that so difficult to understand?:mad:

I'm unsure that "the frink thread flourished" is a direct result of his attention of this site being lessened. those frink girls would hump a chair leg if it resembled his nipple.

23473007.jpg

Come to think of it, they'd prolly hump a chair leg if it resembled his chair leg.

Immigration is a problem but not for the reasons Morrissey states. His problem is he doesn't live here and he knows nothing about the country other than passing through London and holing up at his mum's house whenever he's got time off.

I hardly think Knightsbridge is typical of England. The centre of London is full of workers who will stay in the country for a few years then return home. The idea that that changes the essential character of the rest of country is ridiculous. The character of England is still pretty much as it was.

The real problem with immigration isn't cultural, it's economic. The way the bosses use the cheap labour from abroad to force all wages down. So the rich get richer and the poor (native and immigrant) get poorer.

And how ridiculous to say we shouldn't discuss politics on a Morrissey board!

The idea that that changes the essential character of the rest of country is ridiculous. The character of England is still pretty much as it was.
Maybe you say so, because you were born a long time after 1959?:rolleyes:

Maybe you say so, because you were born a long time after 1959?:rolleyes:

no, I say it because I live in a normal working classed racially mixed London suburb where most people have English accents. I also work for a large firm in London, where again, most people have English accents and whose culture is predominately recognisably English.

Morrissey is making judgements based on a few walks around central London and assuming all these people with "foreign" accents are indicative of the rest of the country. What he doesn't realise is most of them are probably tourists, students or young people from Europe here to make some money for a few years before going back home.

I empathize, but as an American, and one without a permanent attachment to any one place, I just don't find it distressing. Change is the norm for me, new places excite me. But he's not saying anything racist, just, "My home has changed and that makes me sad."

As an American you don't find it distressing that the country that was most influencial in giving us our culture, language, politics, legal system, etc., is allowing its culture to be wiped out by multiculturalists who seem to think it's groovy that London is now referred to as Londonistan? Is it wrong to love and want to preserve your cultural inheritance, espeically one so great as Britain's that has had such a positive influence in making the modern world what it is today?

The problem is not that there's immigration. Immigration is a very healthy thing when done properly. The problem is the lack of assimilation and the influx of great numbers of religious extremists. It's, for example, Muslims coming to England not because they love English culture and wanna be a part of it as well as influence it back in a positive manner, but they come while actually hating England and its culture and wanting to destroy it from within.

Last edited:
Reading this post is like reading the bloody Daily Mail or Torygraph. There is so much hysterical negativity about immigration. All countries need immigration to renew themselves and move forward. The United States would be nowhere if it were not for the constant influx of migrants from over all over the world. All in all immigration has been good for Britain too. The recent arrivals from Eastern Europe have made a great contribution to the British economy and employment is at a record high. Don't listen to all the hype from the tabloids, they just want scapegoats to vent their bile on.

It's pretty clear that Morrissey wants a reaction and where better than here ?

i dont think it is clear , it could possibly be a story manipulated to make an issue and by mass comment on the topic fuel is added to the fire

as i said earlier i dont like to comment untill i read it

(snapyou i normally agree with everything you say ... i just dont like the feeling on this whole topic )

Is it wrong to love and want to preserve your cultural inheritance, espeically one so great as Britain's that has had such a positive influence in making the modern world what it is today?

I could be wrong. Forgive me if I am. But today, America is accused of trying to colonize the world, trying to convert the rest of the world to our way of thinking. And here's the part maybe I am misunderstanding. Isn't that pretty much what England tried to do for centuries? What the hell was India then? And the colonization of what's now America? I will freely confess that I am not a historian, but I think I got the gist of it. Colonialism isn't very nice. Maybe England is reaping what it sowed.

Change is the only constant, get used to it. You can't have global transit and instant communication and international trade and massive multinational corporations without homogenization. Just as blond hair and blue eyes will eventually be bred out of humanity, so will individual cultures... and languages. We're not only rendering other species extinct, we are extinguishing our own cultural heritage, all over the world.

Is it just me or do we have a lot of new members on here tonight making comments on imigration and not morrissey

as i say i think there is a place and it might not be here , wouldnt surprise me if we had some NME journalists on making this a bigger issue than it is to sell papers

or is it just me watching to many episodes of the x files

You misunderstand that some people aren't actually new members.
Danny_ is Danny who lost the original account's password and criminallyshy made his/her first post, but registered here a year ago.
Good to have many people joining the discussion.

Prejudiced people are quick to jump onto the anti-Muslim bandwagon and assume that is what Morrissey is talking about.

From what he is saying he is not talking about immigrants from Asia. He is talking about more recent immigration. Anyone who lives in London knows that in the past few years the main immigrants have been European since the new EU regulations have come into force. That's what Morrissey is talking about when he says about the different languages being spoken. A friend of mine who visited me a couple of years ago after living and working here five years before that was amazed at the amount of Europeans in London.

Back
Top Bottom