New NME Morrissey interview???

Unfortunately he does ... to a degree.
Morrissey's management put an enormous (and expensive) two page advert in NME last week for the London dates. They know how many Morrissey fans read the paper...

Oh well, they'd better put ads Guardian and Observer in stead of NME when the new album is released.

I'd really like to read the context of that quote on the cover... btw, it's hardly going to be another '1992'.

The only way to know what was really said is to see a full transcript of the interview, without editing or interpretations. Shouldn't be difficult to put the matter straight since I assume both parties would have taped it.

Anyway, we wait and see.

This proves what I was saying all along:

Morrissey can't stand to have anybody like him.

Look at it:

1. He and the NME hated each other for a long time.
2. Relations improved.
3. Having no enemies, he focused on this website.
4. This website improved. he no longer had anything to complain about because the new forum highlighted the fact that 85% of the negative comments were being said by the same 2 trolls. The demons exercised, the frink thread flourished.
5. He made a few cracks about Bush and scientists who use chimps for experimental purposes. After being frisked a few times in customs, INS forgot all about him.
6. Now, he's back to pissing off the NME.

The only way to know what was really said is to see a full transcript of the interview, without editing or interpretations. Shouldn't be difficult to put the matter straight since I assume both parties would have taped it.

Anyway, we wait and see.

Agreed.Let's wait till we see the interview in full or,at least,what is written in the NME BUT it's not looking good

This makes me really angry :mad:

The NME obviously went to Morrissey for the interview. They have chosen and asked him the questions. He has obviously answered them in the only way he knows how, intelligently and honestly. I haven’t read the interview yet. But to put that on the cover, it seems to me that once again the NME are the ones being contentious.

Somebody scan it already, please. I was at Borders yesterday, and the NME on their racks was the Nov. 3 issue, which means I won't see it in person for weeks. And they only get one copy. And, I'm not exactly in a mood to buy it if they've maligned him.

On the other hand, it has been said that there is no such thing as bad PR. Unless you're Britney Spears.

Somebody scan it already, please. I was at Borders yesterday, and the NME on their racks was the Nov. 3 issue, which means I won't see it in person for weeks. And they only get one copy. And, I'm not exactly in a mood to buy it if they've maligned him.

On the other hand, it has been said that there is no such thing as bad PR. Unless you're Britney Spears.

An excerpt from the offending part of the interview then, as I've got a bit of time now. Obviously the danger is an extract risks the context, but this is fairly representative :

Q you live in italy now. would you ever consider moving back to Britain ?

A Britain's a terribly negative. And it hammers people down and it pulls you back and it prevents you. Also, with the issue of immigration, it's very difficult because although I don't have anything against people from other countries, the higher the influx into England, the more the Britich identity disappears. So the price is enormous. If you travel to Germany, it's still absolutely Germany. If you travel to sweden, it still has a Swedish identity. But travel to england and you have no idea where you are !

Q Why does this bother you ?

A It matters because the British identity is very attractive. I grew up into it , and I find it quaint and amusing. But England is a memory now. Other countries have held on to their basic identity, yet it seems to me that England was thrown away

Q isn't immigration enriching the British identity rather than diluting it ?

A It does in a way, and it's nice in its way. But you have to say goodbye to the Britain you once knew.

Q that's just the world changing

A But the change in England is so rapid compared to the change in any other country. If you walk through Knightsbridge on any bland day of the week you won't hear an English accent. You'll hear every accent under the sun apart from the British accent.

I have to say this is exactly what I expected. He's lamenting an England that, as I think he's said before, was on its way out by the time he was born.

I empathize, but as an American, and one without a permanent attachment to any one place, I just don't find it distressing. Change is the norm for me, new places excite me. But he's not saying anything racist, just, "My home has changed and that makes me sad." Fair enough.

Oh, and thank you so much for typing all that out! I appreciate it.

I can see nothing shocking here. He is just saying the truth.:rolleyes:

We are flooded. England is overcrowded. Try getting the tube at 5pm each night from Central London.
But anyway. Context. Morrissey is not a racist. We all know this. The NME is just tryng to sell copies.

Ive not read the artical yet but i have the following views prior to reading it , comments as ever are taken out of context or little issues are blown up in the favour of getting a story.

Its just a shame that there are very few people commenting on anything anymore if 1992 taught us anything it was that everyone likes to express a view on controversy but no one likes to challenge whats around , mind you it took the NME and everyone else 12 years to get over that one , dispite the whole bloody country drapping its self in the union flag . It all looks so stupid on hyndsight is this going to be the case again

By the look of it again morrisseys opinions have caused outcry or will be promoted that way, look at it this way , I didnt buy it in 92 so i cant see it changing my opinion now , i will read it and comment but i take the NME with a pinch of salt

I always look back at the quote from noel from Oasis's comment , " if morrissey was a racist you would seeit on the cover of the news of the world not the f***ing NME" (or something like that)

I Just wish the so called people in music would say something interesting , i would love to go back to the 60s and see people in music making a difference or at least trying . I mean pete and amy so smacked off their tits its a soap opera not worth watching . Radiohead are anarchists because they gave their album away , razorlight and the killers are so f***ing boring that dulux should be releasing their albums because they are like watching paint dry ... wheres the challenge .. the f***ing Klaxons, he kids do some pills

I dont view everything morrissey says as gospel but i do like to see people viewing their opinions , i have my own opinions on imigration but i dont think they need to expressed here and never would , would anyone actually care .

Nowadays we seem to be all for build them up and knock them down , its just a shame if this issue means that morrissey and the NME have fallen out that we will have to wait 12 years for the resolution ... i dont see the NME being about then anyway

I am going to the dentist tommorow , i will buy the NME when im out , i wonder what will cause the most pain

it is also quite obvious that the comments are there to cause a reaction so please dont react here unless you want to read them in the NME next week

this is a forum for morrissey not politics ...

It's pretty clear that Morrissey wants a reaction and where better than here ?

I'm unsure that "the frink thread flourished" is a direct result of his attention of this site being lessened. those frink girls would hump a chair leg if it resembled his nipple.

I'm sure they would. But if you can't have the real thing, furniture works.

If the frink thread had been posted on the old board (which might have been hard to do since nobody was allowed to post pictures), it would have crashed and burned from interlopers.

Anyway, Moz can't be serious about the "immigrants" unless he wants to send his own parents back to Ireland. Isn't it a bit disrespectful to them unless he conveniently forgets how he was called "Paddy"?

It's pretty clear that Morrissey wants a reaction and where better than here ?

Here? Among the choir? If NME quotes us, it will title the piece: "Mozfans are a bunch of sycophantic racists" if that's their angle. They'll print what they want to print. He wouldn't have given the interview if he didn't want the attention. He's not a stupid man. He's got dates coming up in the UK so he did an interview with a British magazine to revive interest. He appeared on Letterman and Carson Daly to stir up interest in the US.

I'm unsure that "the frink thread flourished" is a direct result of his attention of this site being lessened. those frink girls would hump a chair leg if it resembled his nipple.

ha ha oh my god, i just laughed myself silly :D
(here comes the boss!)

I just saw that! I hate the NME. :mad:
Why can't Moz have his opinion?! Mass immigration of any people into any country vastly changes the culture of the country. Why is this so contentious? Oh, for chrissake. How do we know he even said it?

More power to you, Moz. We're with you, we support you, we love you, I love you.

hear hear,
besides even if he did say it, its flipping true. as is the fact that there are too many people full stop, whether it be immigration or high birth rates, it has to stop and stop soon.
(gosh now im all wound up and annoyed)

Moz should not lower himself to the NME, unless of course they gave a milllion £ per interview to PETA.

Back
Top Bottom