Dublin - Vicar Street (July 16, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

How Soon Is Now? / Suedehead / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / I Wish You Lonely / Jim Jim Falls / Girlfriend In A Coma / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Knockabout World / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / Half A Person / My Hurling Days Are Done / Bonfire Of Teenagers / Everyday Is Like Sunday / The Loop / Our Frank / Please, Please, Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Speedway // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist courtesy of @NealCassidy

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it be Dana Gillespie's version? I recall many years ago he mentioned liking the album it was on:

That cover sounds more of a contender so.

He sung 'He said he'd cure your ills, and he never will " at the very end of How Soon. It's quiet but you can hear it here

Thanks, well picked up and sorry for confusion.

In the 2nd verse there too, about 1 min 47 secs in, you can hear him say, 'son and heir of harassment...'

I believe that was David Hoyle, not Lyspinka:

Spot on, well found, thank you! I must brush up on my drag queens.
The clip that was used is from about 1:50 to 2:10

2 photos thanks to a compadre.

Singing.jpg

Encore photo.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for posting my video 😀. Happy if anyone enjoy it as the nerd in front of me couldn’t help putting his arms or phone up upon his head.
Thank you for sharing all of those beutiful moments from sunday evening :thumb:

Let me get what I want ...

I have to say that 'quando' crap doesn't belong in that song (or any song). Unless it's actually 'quango' in an obscure reference to Yes Minister ;)
Estoy de acuerdo contigo (lol); yes I agree it's silly but let's be so thankful the dreadful Mando Speedway ending didn't happen - those words are too meaningful to give away to Spanglish.

Last edited:
A great gig , I knew Dublin would be ideal place to see him and I wasn’t disappointed Much better set list tonight , although anytime he plays speedway , I will be happy with anything else:) ! One of his greatest songs and always a total joy to hear it live.

I salute the efforts of the woman who made the stage , hats off to her , although overall I thought the crowd was poor by last night standard, yes I know , Sunday night (the locals have work tomorrow , but come on , can still sing / join in with the Morrissey chanting!

Morrissey must’ve decided to change the order during the show as was a brief interlude as they got ready to do Our Frank
Still not a fan of the overlong piano section before going in Everday is like Sunday ….either he wants to give the newbie in the band some solo time, or he wants some extra time before vocal duties , but kills the flow totally
I thought the Auld Lang Syne intro was quite apt and a very interesting but the meandering Debussy-esque piece we heard seemed to go nowhere - I didn't even know we'd a new female on the keys. Strange days.

Via Brendan:

brendanbuckley-17072023-0001.jpg

New bass drum image - see below.

Thanks, well picked up and sorry for confusion.

In the 2nd verse there too, about 1 min 47 secs in, you can hear him say, 'son and heir of harassment...'
I don't know anything about 'keys' as such, & I don't play any musical instrument, but is this version of HSIN? in a lower 'key' than the original?
I've just cross checked against the original HSIN? (Smiths) and that seems to be in a higher 'key' (a 'key' to me equals a higher pitched guitar tone). Maybe someone with musical knowledge, or player can advise?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bass drum new image is:

imgs_touch.jpeg

Anne Sexton.
FWD.

Thanks for posting my video 😀. Happy if anyone enjoy it as the nerd in front of me couldn’t help putting his arms or phone up upon his head.
Thanks for such a great recording. I was worried you were going to be obscured for the big finish. Real fan of Brendan and loved it!!

I don't know anything about 'keys' as such, & I don't play any musical instrument, but is this version in a lower 'key' than the original?
I've just cross checked against the original (Smiths) and that seems to be in a higher 'key' (a 'key' to me equals a higher pitched guitar tone). Maybe someone with musical knowledge, or player can advise?
Generally, all Smiths/Morrissey guitars are in F#, a tone above the standard tuning of E (two notes above normal); this is usually directed by a vocalist's range. From memory HSIN live is the same although I noticed a capo on Jesse's guitar at first fret last night which puzzled me, can't remember the song. Reel Around the Fountain is an interesting one on this subject, if you compare the original to the session version, clearly different keys. Andy Rourke used to describe his bass strings as cheesewire lol (you can raise the key on a guitar by a capo with no additional tension on the strings, the bass is another matter).

yeah. He usually points to the Dolls image.
I think there may be a mix of regret and treasuring of how he spent his youth, obsession in isolation with particular artists, and how that sculpted him and how he got to where he is now. Or not.
This could be. But whatever it is the reaction is always really genuine and not played and very subtle. I saw it live in person and on the videos but it's so subtle that you can't really put your finger on it. But maybe yeah, the Dolls obsession falls into the timeline so this can very well be something like your interpretation.

I never even heard about David Hoyle until 2010 when this guy ( that dick Alison More). I had no clue what to make of Hoyle at first but he blew my mind Its fecking great M show his stuff
Apologies if teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but David Hoyle is in the video for Spent the Day in Bed......

Cuando, cuando, cuando ... :LOL:
When your friend wants to leave after EDILS

Attachments

• Sunday.jpg
    Sunday.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom