B-Sides?!

Is swallow on my neck a B side, :confused: It's my favourite if it is.:)
It's always amazed the standard of songs he uses for B sides. I dont really think they should be higher than the songs on the album though :( It's just I definitly would have preferred say Ganglord to The Streets on which I ran.

yeah it's b-side to "sunny", which is criminal imo. Should be the other way round!

yeah it's b-side to "sunny", which is criminal imo. Should be the other way round!

Nonono, don't mess with "Sunny", both should have been on an album and "A Swallow On My Neck" maybe could have been a single.

Yes love Sunny, love Swallow a little bit more :) Wonder if he ever performed it live. I love double meanings and this is a perfect one, lovely intimate intriguing song

Last edited:
Yes love Sunny, love Swallow a little bit more :) Wonder if he ever performed it live. I love double meanings and this is a perfect one, lovely intimate intriguing song

"A Swallow On My Neck" have been performed many times especially during the "Oye Estaban" tour, don't remember if he did it on any other tours.

I can't believe no one has mentioned The Edges Are No Longer Parallel!!

Having said that, there is only a hair's breadth between that and Nobody Loves Us.
Damn, thanks for rubbing it in! I've been going through the master list on Passions, and "The Edges Are No Longer Parallel" is one of only TWO Moz songs that I don't have in any (legal) form whatsoever! (The other is the live "First of the Gang to Die" from the Glastonbury soundtrack, but I'm in no hurry to get it.)

I feel forced to chime in and state that I consider "Swallow" to be, hands-down, one of Moz's worst 10 songs. Quite possible some of his worst lyrics. What do you all see in it that I don't?
I think the ambuity between a fake tatoo and a love bite is brilliant. It's one of those Moz songs where everything seems so confused and desperate and then there's a little moment of intimate simplicity of course really really that's just me it's probably about trade agreements in Russia or something :D
Oh ...
I have been smashed again
With the men from the
Old Valhalla Road Crematorium
Boring men with the same old patter

I am a simple man
Not much to gain or lose
And I don't know why I held out
So long for me and you

Until he drew
A swallow on my neck
And more, I will not say
He drew
A swallow, deep and blue
And soon, everyone knew

Then I was wrecked again
With the men full of bluff and ardour
From a well-known funeral parlour

I am a simple man
Not much to gain or lose
Older and wiser
Never applies to me

And so he drew
A swallow on my neck
And more, I will not say
He drew
A swallow, deep and blue
And soon, everyone knew

Aah ...
Oh ...

You have been telling me
That I have been
Acting childish
Foolish, ghoulish and childish
Oh, I know, I know, I know !
I know, I know, I know
But I don't mind
I don't mind
I don't mind

Ah ...
I don't mind
Ah ...

I think the ambuity between a fake tatoo and a love bite is brilliant. It's one of those Moz songs where everything seems so confused and desperate and then there's a little moment of intimate simplicity of course really really that's just me it's probably about trade agreements in Russia or something :D
Oh ...
I have been smashed again
With the men from the
Old Valhalla Road Crematorium
Boring men with the same old patter

I am a simple man
Not much to gain or lose
And I don't know why I held out
So long for me and you

Until he drew
A swallow on my neck
And more, I will not say
He drew
A swallow, deep and blue
And soon, everyone knew

Then I was wrecked again
With the men full of bluff and ardour
From a well-known funeral parlour

I am a simple man
Not much to gain or lose
Older and wiser
Never applies to me

And so he drew
A swallow on my neck
And more, I will not say
He drew
A swallow, deep and blue
And soon, everyone knew

Aah ...
Oh ...

You have been telling me
That I have been
Acting childish
Oh, I know, I know, I know !
I know, I know, I know
But I don't mind
I don't mind
I don't mind

Ah ...
I don't mind
Ah ...
Yep, those are very interesting lyrics, and, as you said, full of confusion and ambiguity... such as: who is 'you' that he is addressing in the song?

"And I don't know why I held out
So long for me and you
Until he drew
A swallow on my neck
..."

While some parts are just...endearing... I don't know how else to say it.
"Older and wiser / Never applies to me"

"You have been telling me
That I have been
Acting childish
Oh, I know, I know, I know !"

I don't ever buy singles because I think they're robbery but I would like to get all those b-sides. there are so many songs discussed here that I don't know. and since the b-sides on the quarry special edition are even better than the actual album I think I am really missing out if I don't have ALL of them. if anyone would burn a compilation of B-sides for me I would be soooo excited and of course pay for the expenses!

Back
Top Bottom