posted by davidt on Wednesday October 22 2008, @10:00AM
Kewpie summarized the interview from Oct. 21 (in the comments of the previous story, playlist correction by LoafingOaf):
Songs requested by Morrissey:

Dear God, Please Help Me - Marianne Faithfull
If You Don't Care - Smoking Popes
Mighty Joe - Shocking Blue
Roll Up the Red Carpet - Doll and the Kicks
Mother - Siouxsie and the Banshees
Initials B. B. - Serge Gainsbourg
Rachel - Al Martino
One Thing Never Changed - The Pretenders
Goodbye Cruel World - James Darren
Morning Star Ship - Jobriath
Jar Song - Damien Dempsey

Unfortunately Morrissey started asking questions to Janice, she only managed to ask about the album sleeve of Years of Refusal. Morrissey only admitted he's holding a baby.

He was offered to be in a Kit Kat TV commercial, to appear in his favourite soap Emmerdale, but both he turned down.

Interview was broadcasted in two parts(around 0:15 and 1:10), can't remember all the conversations, but after Playing James Darren's song Morrissey's quips are hilarious.
---
The download (zip file, 101MB) has already been made available by Claudia2006 in the forums. (original post)
---
Noel Westlake writes:
Years of Refusal... cover?
Am currently listening to the Janice Long interview and Janice alluded to Moz holding a baby on the cover of Years of Refusal...

Well, on photobucket I found this.

I fully expect to be shot down in a blaze of wild speculation.

The photo was originally posted and discussed in detail in this forum thread started by Anin (or at least i was):

New album cover
Record Collector Magazine writes:
RECORD COLLECTOR magazine's December issue 356 (in the shops Thursday 23rd October) features a tribute to The Smiths' 'This Charming Man' on the 25th anniversary of its release. It features a rundown of its making, release and lyrics and is followed up by a run through all the versions of the song, together with valuations of rare versions. RECORD COLLECTOR can be bought at WHSmiths, Borders, good newsagents, large supermarkets, independent record shops and online (even after it has gone off sale in the shops) at www.recordcollectormag.com
---
Update: 10/26 23:47 GMT: Uncleskinny posted scans of the article in the forums.
dialacliche writes:
I was at The Mountain Goats concert on Tuesday October 21st in Portland, Oregon and John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats covered Suedehead by Morrissey.

John prefaced the song by saying that Morrissey was pretty big in all the clubs when he was living in Portland but that he personally couldn't stand Morrissey.

There's even a song that appears on The Mountain Goats' 2002 album titled Ghana called The Anti-Music song where he trashes Morrissey;

"And I saw you on TV
Doing a bad imitation of a second rate songwriter from the eighties named Morrissey
I never liked Morrissey
and I don't like you"
*Anti-Music Song by The Mountain Goats

John then admitted that he has since come around and that he is now a fan. Then The Mountain Goats along with Kaki King accompanying on guitar proceeded to play Suedehead.

It was a fairly faithful rendition of the song, and a great concert!
Len Brown writes:
re, Meetings With Morrissey posters (original thread / image posted in the forums by lightupvirginmary): in response to the discussion about the posters, I have to admit it was a publicity scam that shouldn't really have gone ahead. I'd hoped the publishers would promote the book via fly-posting but in the end they decided against it for financial reasons. But a few posters had already been made and these were put up in various places, mainly London and Manchester I think. The "sex" poster is, appropriately, a bit of a cock up really. It's definitely not the quote I wanted and in fact combines two Morrissey lines from different sections of the book. He actually said the line "sex is on everybody's mind" about characters in Alan Bennett's television plays. (See 'Morrissey's People' section.) The original plan was to use the quote from my 1990 interview: "whether you like me or not, I remain an individual...individually nauseating or individually interesting. The key word in my vocabulary is individualism". Oh well...

Matt writes:
Hello. I co-run The Music Slut (THEMUSICSLUT.COM) and last night I interviewed Andy Rourke. He mentioned The Smiths & Moz on a number of occasions. Here's the link to the full Q&A...

8 Questions With: Andy Rourke - The Music Slut
Today's News | October 23 | October 21  >

[ home | terms of service ]