posted by davidt on Friday October 17 2008, @11:00AM
Kewpie writes:
joe frady posted this in the general discussion forum:
Janice Long confirmed this very minute that Moz is going to be on the show next Tuesday night-into-Wednesday morning (technically Wednesday 00:00~03:00), that's the 21st/22nd of October. She recorded it on Thursday evening just prior to Morrissey leaving Blighty again, spent a couple of hours spinning some favourite tunes and chatting. She said he was on very fine form, hilarious, etc.
Janice was trying to interview him before O2 wireless gig, but it's good to have him on her show before the album release.
She has many questions such as review of the year, Southpaw reissue and Years Of Refusal etc.
---
Guillaume Métayer sends the link / excerpt:

Janice Long - BBC Radio 2

Morrissey
Hear him chatting with Janice on Wednesday morning's show (october. 22nd, 2008).

Vu writss:
Morrissey came to see Doll and the Kicks' concert.

MORRISSEY HEARTS DATK!!!! - Doll and the Kicks MySpace blog

Excerpt:

I would love to say that we had an ORDINARY gig last night where lots of ORDINARY fans came to see us do an ORDINARY set. However. This is not the case.

Both of the other bands booked to play The Fly in London pull out, so we were the only official band playing. Expectation one - no one will turn up apart from er my dad, justin and maybe our managers.....

WRONG.

The Fly was busy, yes busy, full of people eager to see DATK, in fact we have been promised a gig at The Barfly (camden) because of it. And i haven't even gotten to the best part. MORRISSEY came down with some friends to watch us play. Yes. He did. Morrissey. Came to watch us. (sorry for gushing Morrissey if you do ever happen to read this).

He liked, nay loved us said i was amazing and he loved Oliviers bass lines and thought our songs were great....... Oh and i kissed him on the cheek. He went for a hand shake but i thought 'fuck it' and grabbed my opportunity to touch his face with my lips. It was warm. Like a mans face should be.

So as well as meeting my new best friend Morrissey I had a pretty good gig, oh but i did break the button from my new urban outfitters skirt after having owned it for about --- 2 days? See you think you pay for quality but really it's no better than primarni (primark to all you not in the know).
---
Kewpie also sends the link to the post in the forums:

i saw morrissey at a gig last night post by brokenbottlesemptyhearts

yesterday i went to go and see one of my favourite bands, doll and the kicks http://www.myspace.com/dollandthekicks play at the fly on oxford street.

as you might know, the fly isn't known for being a bastion of the international playboys, with it's tiny stage and sticky floors, so it was a total surprise to see him there. doll and the kicks came on about 9 o clock, and there were only about 30 people there, as the crowd moved forward, i looked over and i saw morrissey and boz boorer! they were totally into it and stayed for the whole set!

moz was standing my the ladies bathrooms as as i shuffled past i heard him saying how much he loved the band. afterwards everyone went upstars and he hung out at the bar with the band, chattering away. moz was looking tres genteel and distinguished. i'll try and find pics of that night and post them.
Jukebox Jury writes:
There is a big feature on Steve Coogan in today's Manchester Evening News (14th October) celebrating his 20th year in 'show biz'.
Amongst topics touched on is the following:

The interviewer asked Coogan which A list celebs he is in touch with.

''Ironically it was another well known Mancunian who he dined out with during his last visit to La-La Land'' (Los Angeles).

'I had a drink with Morrissey', he says, 'Quite a turn up for the books. The last time I'd met him was when The Smiths played at The Free Trade Hall in 1983.
They only just had their first album out and Sandie Shaw was on stage singing Hand In Glove. I went back stage because I knew the support band (The Red Guitars) who were big at the time. I was 17 and he was 24 and now I'm 43 and he must be kicking 50.

It was a bit weird, two Mancunians in a bar in LA. We chatted about Tony Wilson and Manchester. Chrissie Hynde was there too', he adds. 'I still get starstruck a bit'.''
goinghome writes:
An Irish band called Lir, who were hailed as the next big thing in the early ‘90s but encountered such misfortunes with record deals that they soon called it a day, only to reform recently, covered The Smiths’ song ‘Bigmouth Strikes Again’ on Paul McCloone’s Today FM evening radio programme last Wednesday.

Playlist 8th October
7-8PM
THE WEEK THAT WAS SCRATCH THE SURFACE
PRIMAL SCREAM CAN’T GO BACK
BLOC PARTY BIKO
LIR BIGMOUTH STRIKES AGAIN
THE SMITHS RUSHOLME RUFFIANS
CATHY DAVEY NO HEART TODAY
TALK TALK LIFE’S WHAT YOU MAKE IT
KINGS OF LEON MANHATTAN
TV ON THE RADIO HALFWAY HOME
ARMOURED BEAR FALL
VAMPIRE WEEKEND MANSARD ROOF
OASIS FALLING DOWN

The band’s myspace site features some of their sounds plus an informative recent article about them from the Irish Times newspaper.
RCRAVEN writes:
In the October 2008 issue of Elle Magazine, Fashion Designer Derek Lam names Morrissey as his favorite musician.
An anonymous person sends the link / excerpt:

School of rock: Hearing strange voices by Will Byers - The Guardian music blog

"Fancy a bit of 'rough'?... Morrissey's vocal 'grain' is one of his more alluring physicalities.

There are many singers whose outstanding vocal qualities are almost universally acknowledged. But what makes us love those voices that are far from perfect?
After closer listening I was mildly surprised that, a couple of yelps aside, the vocal to the Smiths' This Charming Man only uses five notes. The fantastical polyphonic interplay of the guitar and bass subsidises the comparative vocal monotony, but Morrissey is still a joy to listen to. The mournful dourness of his voice, which lights up many a life just as a grey Lowry landscape would, does not require a great range to communicate. It is this individuality that draws as many people to him as it repels."
---
An anonymous person also writes:
Chris Charles blog - BBC sport-Seeing Morrissey in a pub....
"I once had a celebrity slash next to Morrissey in Camden's Good Mixer pub, where he was being interviewed by a music journalist. Having got wind that the reporter was stitching him up, I thought it my duty to inform the great man. He fixed me with a look of disdain and snorted: "In your dreams". It's a moment I'll treasure forever."
The whole article
POI RIH sends the link:

Johnny Marr to lecture on ‘mavericks and innovators’ - Salford University news
Tuesday, 14 October 2008

Johnny Marr
He played his best ever gig there with The Smiths 22 years ago, and on Tuesday 4 November guitar legend and Visiting Professor, Johnny Marr will return to Salford University to lecture about the music industry.

The ex-Smiths guitarist and current band member of Modest Mouse will be returning to the University's Maxwell Hall to deliver his first public lecture as Visiting Professor of Music.

Entitled 'Always from the outside: mavericks, innovators and building your own ark', Johnny's lecture is a free event and the public are requested to register for tickets in advance by emailing [email protected]

The last time Johnny performed at the University's Maxwell Hall was with The Smiths in 1986 - an event he regards as the best gig he ever played. He recalls: "The PA had to be tied down because the floor was bouncing up so high that the stage was practically falling to pieces!"

John Sweeney from the University's School of Media, Music & Performance said: "We're delighted that Johnny will be returning to Maxwell Hall after such a sensational performance there in 1986. This time, we've made sure that the Hall is specially reinforced!

"Johnny is a revered guitarist and composer and is held in the highest esteem by many of his fellow performers. His lecture is a tremendous opportunity for our students and the wider public to benefit from his considerable experience and expertise. It promises to be a really special event."

---
Henrik also writes:
Johnny Marr is featured in this weeks (14/10/08) NME!
Today's News | October 18 | October 16  >

[ home | terms of service ]