Why does it seem like everyone hates ROTT ?

Sometimes I like it and others times I don't. Sometimes it flows for me and others times it doesn't. When I first got it, I didn't like it that much and afterwards some of it's brillance (Pigsty..) start to flourish and now I really like it. Some songs I still haven't warm to like Far-Off Places and actually I think that's it. By the way I love "The Father Who Must Be Killed".

I love Ringleaders & listen to it daily. (I have listened to Quarry 3 times I think). For me, ROTT offers something new with each listen, the lyrics I think are among some of his best. Rather than being 'stuck' on the same topics of taxmen, lawyers etc - to me it seems he was back to writing about the themes of life & death.

Perhaps I'm biased, but any song about a stepchild who stabs to death her abusive stepfather gets the thumbs up from me!

(I should say any Moz song... I'm sure I'd hate it if it were by somebody common.)

Yeah, "Janie's Got a Gun" was just not so... good.

I suppose I am one of the boring sycophants, but I find something I like in everything Moz does. Some more than others, but still, there's always something there for me.

I think ABCDEFG is a strong track but it doesn't compare to earlier work like KMNLOP.

these last two albums- especially YATQ- do seem to be missing something- ive been trying to put my finger on it, but it still somewhat eludes me.

ithink its partly the sense of self doubt, a certain level of genuineness that has left Morrissey. he seems to care less at this point. his arrogance is at an all-time high- not likely to come down again. now, Morrissey has always been quite arrogant, but it was always buffered or balanced by a certain vulnerablity that simply seems to no longer exist. ithink his art suffers somewhat for this.

Y'know - I think you have a valid point. It has been eluding me too but I think you've almost put your finger on it.....

Most people slag on about ROTT , yet never seem to back up their derision with any meaningful comments or reasons why they think it sucks .

Here is your chance to tell us all why you think ROTT is shite .

I actually love this album , i thought it was some of his better work , the malaise and pain is so much more generalized and mature .

I don't really think everyone does 'slag on about' ROTT. It did pretty well in the reviews; an average of about 7 out of 10.
But if you look in Houdini's poll. Nearly all the ROTT songs are in the bottom half and I think only Ganglord and Pigsty score over 8 points. There are just too many lacklustre songs.
I think the main problem was that Moz wanted to sustain the momentum from Who Ate Me Curry and rushed into the studio before he had thought up enough decent lyrics and given his musicians enough time to come up with some really strong melodies.
I actually think 2 of the 3 new songs are considerably better than most of ROTT so I'm fairly optimistic about the next album...

Simply put...... There are too many mediocre songs on ROTT. It has some highlights in Pigsty, Far Off Places and The Youngest.. but the likes of The Father who must be Killed, At last I am Born and In the Future are just uninspiring and mediocre packages.​

Funnily enough I played it over the weekend for the 1st time in about six months and thoroughly enjoyed it. Pigsty is just brilliant. I think maybe it is one of those albums you wouldn't want to hear regularly, but it took me back to last years UK tour and brought back some great great memories! King's Lynn!

It's all about opinions obviously, but in my view this album is just dreadful (and YATQ wasn't much better if at all)

The worry for me is when an artist who is so gifted is prepared to release work which is so half-baked and sub-standard.....does Morrissey actually think his last 2 albums are worthy pieces of work?

Either way, the obvious verdict is "Could Do Better"

hey, all you ROTT slaggers, do us fans of the album a favor please and not buy up all the tickets or take up the space at the front of the venue so those who really enjoy this album can in turn, enjoy the songs from the album.

by last check in my setlist research a majority of ROTT songs have been played at each show this year vice the songs off other albums.

thanks for your cooperation.

hey, all you ROTT slaggers, do us fans of the album a favor please and not buy up all the tickets or take up the space at the front of the venue so those who really enjoy this album can in turn, enjoy the songs from the album.

by last check in my setlist research a majority of ROTT songs have been played at each show this year vice the songs off other albums.

thanks for your cooperation.

*puts hand on hip, sticks neck out* OH NO YOU DI'NT! *snaps 3 times in Z formation*

nugz, due to our last conversation I was expecting the slaps from you, and maybe I enjoy that type of deviance ;)

all kidding aside I don't understand how some people will lambast a majority of the songs and then sing them at the shows - you at least admit you don't like Boy Happy (I do but we're all different) and you free up your space to get something to drink.

just be real people, because the Poseur Police shall be out in full force!

nugz, due to our last conversation I was expecting the slaps from you, and maybe I enjoy that type of deviance ;)

all kidding aside I don't understand how some people will lambast a majority of the songs and then sing them at the shows - you at least admit you don't like Boy Happy (I do but we're all different) and you free up your space to get something to drink.

just be real people, because the Poseur Police shall be out in full force!

well just because he might play up to 5 songs from ROTT at recent shows, that still leaves another 12-15 other songs that AREN'T ROTT. so i'll be up at the front for THOSE songs, thank you very much! :D

p.s. i actually didnt free up my space at that particular show. i was standing with some friends off to the side in the special little wheelchair section, so i was able to come and go as i pleased with still having a good view, and being up front (but off to the side.) at the philly show i was in the pit, squished with everyone and i wasnt gonna give up my space for nothing. not for a drink, and not even when i had to listen to "at last i am born." ugh

Last edited:
well just because he might play up to 5 songs from ROTT at recent shows, that still leaves another 12-15 other songs that AREN'T ROTT. so i'll be up at the front for THOSE songs, thank you very much! :D
and not even when i had to listen to "at last i am born." ugh

blah blah blah :p

I think what irritates me is the people that will get on this board and talk bad about certain songs but put on an act in front of Mozzer like they worship every word he spits. Ask my friend when I've Changed My Plea to Guilty came on I just crossed my arms and said aloud to myself 'next please'.

plus the whole album competitive thing forgets to factor in basic things like for instance that I deem important, like time in your life when you first hear the album. ROTT came after my divorce so a song like 'At Last I am Born' is more uplifting to me than anything from YATQ. First of the Gang to Die probably means more to a Mozz fan in South Central LA whereas You Have Killed Me means more to a lonely Italian in Brindisi....

just as me and more than a few people have discussed, usually it seems our first Morrissey/Smiths song that we really get into will always be our favorite.

//my two cents.

blah blah blah :p

I think what irritates me is the people that will get on this board and talk bad about certain songs but put on an act in front of Mozzer like they worship every word he spits. Ask my friend when I've Changed My Plea to Guilty came on I just crossed my arms and said aloud to myself 'next please'.

That's my reaction when "I Just Want To See The Boy Happy" or "I Will See You In Far Off Places" begins. I mutter "crap" under my breath and refuse to sing along. But when "I've Changed My Plea..." comes on, I get positively giddy!!

Back
Top Bottom