Why does it seem like everyone hates ROTT ?

Most people slag on about ROTT , yet never seem to back up their derision with any meaningful comments or reasons why they think it sucks .

Here is your chance to tell us all why you think ROTT is shite .

I actually love this album , i thought it was some of his better work , the malaise and pain is so much more generalized and mature .

It's distinctly unpleasant to listen to.

Care to expand on that half thought ?

what do you find so specifically unpleasant about it ?

IMHO, Jesse's musics sound "old man", and dead. He bores me. To me, also, ROTT ha s A LOT of ringtone material. Take The youngest... To me, his weakest song ever (though I think Sorrow will come... is the worst)
I do love Pigsty, to me one of his best songs, and Far off places, and Hero. But ROTT in general sounds old and tired, on the brink of retirement, and I don't like that.

I honestly have no idea. I enjoy this album immensely (apart from At Last I Am Born, but even that's tolerable live). It seems to me like some people slag off everything that's new. It's a very powerful, very cohesive piece of work rather than just a seemingly random collection of songs like Quarry or Maladjusted for example. It's fantastic live – I think I have heard all the songs from the album in concert and none of them bored me. And the b-sides are great as well.

I honestly have no idea. I enjoy this album immensely (apart from At Last I Am Born, but even that's tolerable live). It seems to me like some people slag off everything that's new. It's a very powerful, very cohesive piece of work rather than just a seemingly random collection of songs like Quarry or Maladjusted for example. It's fantastic live – I think I have heard all the songs from the album in concert and none of them bored me. And the b-sides are great as well.

You know you're probably right, I bet they do sound powerful live... Still, I think most are bad songs, poor music, poor melodies -which's worse because that's entirely Mozzzer's fault-
BTW, Quarry, if it was indeed a collection of songs, I think it was a fantastic one.
I just hope he diversifies his music writers (come back ALAIN!) and gets rid of KY, it's about time.

IMHO, Jesse's musics sound "old man", and dead. He bores me. To me, also, ROTT ha s A LOT of ringtone material. Take The youngest... To me, his weakest song ever (though I think Sorrow will come... is the worst)
I do love Pigsty, to me one of his best songs, and Far off places, and Hero. But ROTT in general sounds old and tired, on the brink of retirement, and I don't like that.

I second that.
I would like to add that the album for me is ca. three songs too long. Until Life is a Pigsty I can almost enjoy it, then comes the Pigsty, a heavy, but hollow track, and the only thing I need is one or two good songs to seal it off. Instead, I am dragged through five - and I always get distracted, until At Last comes as a salvation. This kind of thing never happens with Quarry, which is as long as Ringleader, - I never loose concentration and even wish there was more, although there are certain songs I am not that fond of.

All in all it sounds like Viva Hate extended (or Quarry deluxe). The album as such seems to end with Pigsty, and then come the B-sides (as a concept; I do not say there aren't any B-sides before that).

I don't think I hate it. But I don't feel much love for it either.

I have to agree that it seems as if anything new is generally poo pooed by the die hard old school fans of any musician.

time loves a hero but stands still for no man

ROTT was actually the first Morrissey album I bought. I really love it. It possibly could be my favourite. I think everyone has different opinions. For example Vauxhall and I is one of my least favourite albums.

You know you're probably right, I bet they do sound powerful live... Still, I think most are bad songs, poor music, poor melodies -which's worse because that's entirely Mozzzer's fault-
BTW, Quarry, if it was indeed a collection of songs, I think it was a fantastic one.
I just hope he diversifies his music writers (come back ALAIN!) and gets rid of KY, it's about time.

See, I don't care who writes the music. I don't even know who wrote which songs. The first 8 tracks on Ringleader are all great, then it drags on a bit, but that's a good run for any album. And I think Morrissey's and Kristeen's voices sound very good together, a proper duet would be nice. Sorry, I know you don't like her :o
As for Quarry... no. He sounds extremely childish on some of the songs (How Can Anybody...), whereas on Ringleader he comes across as more mature, and I find that a lot more appealing. I just dug out a mini review I wrote on Ringleader just after it was released and I'm surprised that I still agree with most of it. Quarry on the other hand didn't have a long term effect on me.
It all comes down to personal taste anyway.

It possibly could be my favourite. I think everyone has different opinions. For example Vauxhall and I is one of my least favourite albums.

Seconded.

lyrically I think its horrible. i actually read the lyrics online before I got the album and i just remember thinking "seriously???" alot of the music bores me too. I really like "I'll never be anybody's hero now" and "life is a pigsty" is good but i think a bit overrated. "at last i am born" (which i heard live too) I think is terrible, along with "i just want to see the boy happy", "on the streets i ran" and "the father who must be killed." i find the rest of the songs listenable, but average.

I <3 Quarry, however.

See, I don't care who writes the music. I don't even know who wrote which songs. The first 8 tracks on Ringleader are all great, then it drags on a bit, but that's a good run for any album. And I think Morrissey's and Kristeen's voices sound very good together, a proper duet would be nice. Sorry, I know you don't like her :o
As for Quarry... no. He sounds extremely childish on some of the songs (How Can Anybody...), whereas on Ringleader he comes across as more mature, and I find that a lot more appealing. I just dug out a mini review I wrote on Ringleader just after it was released and I'm surprised that I still agree with most of it. Quarry on the other hand didn't have a long term effect on me.
It all comes down to personal taste anyway.

Seconded.

I totally agree with you! ROTT does indeed drag on a bit. Although it is my favourite album on my i-pod because i dont skip any tracks - just let it play on through. I think most of the songs on YATQ are some of my favourites, but as an album ROTT is far superior

I dont dislike ROTT, but I was a little disappointed with Tony Visconti's production. The instrumentation is overloaded and Morrissey's voice sounds too metallic for my taste. The beauty of the songs only develop when played live (esp. "I Will See You In Far-off Places" is a killer live song). The "explosive kegs..." line absolutely put me off.

I find Quarry a LOT better.

I dont dislike ROTT, but I was a little disappointed with Tony Visconti's production. The instrumentation is overloaded and Morrissey's voice sounds too metallic for my taste. The beauty of the songs only develop when played live (esp. "I Will See You In Far-off Places" is a killer live song). The "explosive kegs..." line absolutely put me off.

oh god, how could i forget to comment on that. yeah, i agree. it makes me cringe. i can't listen to that song all the way through. if he ever played that live, id use that time to go get another drink. thats what i did when i heard "i just want to see the boy crappy" at the Borgata show.

Again it all comes down to personal taste. I personally loved Visconti's production and morrisssey's 'metallic voice'.

I LOVE ROTT
I actually think as an album, it works better than You Are The Quarry. YATQ may have better singles, but as an album, it SUCKS: America Is not the world, How could anybody know how I feel, Lazy Dykes, Crashing bores, you know I couldn't last...
Well I just don't see how Quarry is such a great 'album'
Like I said, the singles are AMAZING, but the album, not so much.

ROTT, however, fits better together. I don't particularly hate any one track, maybe 'on the streets I ran' annoys me, but even that track is better than 'lazy dykes'
I also think ROTT is more of a quiet romantic album. I love Pigsty, I love To me you are a work of art, and I love "I'll never be anybody's hero.
I also think I just want to see the boy happy is a great live song.
its a safe straight forward album, I think Morrissey meant it to be this way, and I think its just lovely.

Back
Top Bottom