What Moz album would you pick for a newbie?

Cindra

Hello Everyone!

I’m a relatively new Morrissey fan, and with a new Morrissey album on the way, I got to wondering something, so I thought I would pose the question to all of you. Which Morrissey album (or albums) would you choose to introduce someone to his music and why? Please let me know what you think.
:)

I'd start out with Viva Hate. It's the first, and a brilliant album. After that, leave it up to the person to decide what to listen to next. I would go in order, as you get to see how the music evolves and changes from year to year.

There really is no 'wrong' way to do it. Just pop in that cd and let the music take you away. Either you like it and keep on listening or you don't.

I'd say Strangeways Here we Come as it has a good cross-section of his stylings. Also its quite interesting lyrically

I think Quarry is his most accessible solo album for new listeners. If you want a Smiths choice, I agree with the previous poster re: Strangeways.

I think I'd pick "Live At Earls Court" - it's a great recording and conveys the magic of a Morrissey live concert quite well. As for the Smiths, i'd chose a compilation - "Louder Than Bombs".

I recommend you to start listening from The Smiths.

If you listen chronological order you'll find the musical/lyrical progress as well.

Personally better not pick albums at random.

It would have to be a tie between Viva Hate and Vauxhall & I. That would certainly hook any new listener. :guitar:

Not strictly an album but I'd definately go for Bona Drag. It's his best collection of work.

The 8 solo albums are generally quite patchy things. The best three (according to our mass poll) are Vauxhall, Arsenal and Viva, with only Vauxhall up there with the Smiths albums.
If you're keen to start with a solo album, I'd go for a compilation, either Bona Drag, !Best of! or Early Burgalry Years...

1) The Queen Is Dead, average score: 9,06
2) Meat Is Murder, average score: 8,86
3) The Smiths, average score: 8,72
4) Strangeways, Here We Come, average score: 8,48

Morrissey-albums:
1) Vauxhall & I, average score: 8,60
2) Your Arsenal, average score: 8,43
3) Viva Hate, average score: 8,04
4) You Are The Quarry, average score: 7,92
5) Southpaw Grammar, average score 7,53
6) Ringleader Of The Tormentors, average score 7,48
7) Kill Uncle, average score: 7,20
8) Maladjusted, average score: 7,03

I once gave to a friend my extra-copy of You Are The Quarry (hope she still has it). So I think it's the easiest record to approach with all the catchy tunes and rockin sound. It was also my first freefall to the music of Morrissey. Long time ago I lend my Ringleader to my ex-girlfriend trying to ger her into Moz. We used to listen the record in her bedroom. She quite liked "You Have Killed Me". Later on she killed me. :(

Now I'm getting all sentimental. :D

Last edited:
What about 'The Very Best of The Smiths'? It was with this album that I fell in love with this band. ;)

I'm a new Morrissey fan too! haven't got all of his albums yet but plan to.
The first one I ever bought was The Queen Is Dead and I absolutely loved it. I think it's the best Smiths album.
The first Morrissey album I bought was Bona Drag which I think it's great for a newbie.
I wouldn't buy any "best of" of "greatest hits" simply because you will probably end up buying all of them and you're gonna buy tracks you already have. I'm only ever gonna buy best of when I buy everything else and have spare money.

Enjoy! :)

Last edited:
Wow! Thank you for all of the kind and thoughtful replies!

I was curious as to what album others might choose to introduce someone new to Morrissey’s music. My favorite of his albums is Ringleader of the Tormentors. When I purchased that album, I had been listening to The Best of Morrissey, and at the time I had a friend with me. She inquired as to why I was buying Ringleader of the Tormentors. I replied that I had his “Best of” album and I liked his music, but I conceded to her that Morrissey’s music is an acquired taste for some.

With that being said, I have to say Ringleader of the Tormentors is not the album I would hand a newbie. Now, it would be easy to hand someone one of his compilation albums, but I feel that’s a bit like cheating and sells Morrissey’s music short. One does not get the depth of any artist’s on a compilation album and I feel this is especially true of Morrissey. If I had to choose only one, it would probably be “Vauxhall And I.” I think it’s got some of his best songs and there’s more to it than just a couple of “hit” songs.

I appreciate all the ideas for which Smiths album to give to someone new to Morrissey and the music he’s made. I was after a Morrissey album though, as Morrissey is currently recording material. There’s a certain excitement whenever there’s something new on the horizon. It’s something new to look forward to and get excited about. Whereas, the Smiths are now static, a moment in time, it’s easy to gain an appreciation of The Smiths, but hard to understand the excitement if you weren’t there (like myself) when it was happening. I’d rather introduce someone to Morrissey’s music and then later hand them a Smiths album as last I heard there isn’t going to be a new Smiths album any time soon. ;)

You’ve all given me some ideas and things to think about. I hadn’t really considered Bona Drag, perhaps it’s time to give that one a listen again. :D

Back
Top Bottom