The Culture Show tonight?

What sort of utter wanker would think Attenborough was an icon? f*** me :mad:

And, you know, arm in arm, hand in hand, we all stand together to say 'everything Scrotum Face has done post-Beatles has been eye-wateringly poor'...

...How could Morrissey not win this? :cool:

I love The Culture Show, it's funny. Mark Kermode's good (loved his review of the Cameron Diaz film - "like wading through vomit" haha).

Anyway Claudia, honestly, He only said a few words, you aren't missing anything life-affirming if you can't get hold of it. It was sweet, though

Did anybody record it?

And YES MORRISSEY'S WINNING!!!!!!! :D Off to delete cookies again and vote some more!

Don't forget this:

Just to make sure we get the votes of Windows-ers as well (it's been posted several times before but maybe someone still doesn't know how to cheat properly ): it's the same trick really. Internetoptions---privacy---set to never accept cookies--- there you go. Vote til you drop!

Big thanks to Sonar for this tip.

What sort of utter wanker would think Attenborough was an icon? f*** me :mad:

I'm sure Attenborough fans of a vintage age will ask the same question about Morrissey....

I actually hope he wins it if Morrissey doesnt. I have spent almost 35 odd years watching his programmes and learnt a hell of a lot about nature and wildlife etc through his programmes and im sure this has been the same for many and he has inspired many people to take an active interest in conservation and they way we look at the earth around us.

On another point however, Attenborough is - unlike Morrissey and Muckartney - a BBC employee. And it is a BBC show. Not that I am suggesting anything underhand....

The Goat

I'm sure Attenborough fans of a vintage age will ask the same question about Morrissey....

But what sort of person is an Attenborough fan?! :eek:

;)

I sometimes think I just don't geddit. I wasn't sad when Steve Irwin died either. But I do hope, if Morrissey doesn't win, that Attenborough does. Partly because I like Heather Mills and yeah, partly cos my flatmate last year was into Wings..

I was sad when Steve Irwin died.
I would always try to get my kids to watch nature programmes and stuff like that Attenborough would be on, but in their pre and young teens it wasn't gripping enough.
Along came Steve Irwin and they couldn't get enough of him and subsequently an interest in the programme and subconciously gaining info on such issues. He has created a world wide interest in animal / wildlife conservation amongst 'younger people' put off by the usual style of nature programmes. With him now absent from our screens, its back to the soap operas and shite celebrity nonsence programmes for the kids....

The Goat

How come everyone keeps banging on about what Attenborough does for animals? All 3 finalists have done their bit but none of Morrissey's spokespeople (Maconie was a bit crap) have mentioned meat is murder. Is Attenborough even a veggie? I've seen loads of programmes by him where animals have been in trouble and no-one has helped them. I'm not talking about hunting/killing scenes, I know they can't intervene with the laws of nature but really I do think Moz has done more to stop the slaughter of the innocents than him.
And what's with that Extinct show? Vote to save your favourite species?!? Jesus Christ. X Factor for bloody pandas.

I would always try to get my kids to watch nature programmes

So would I (I'd go upstairs to watch Hollyoaks, though). But like Bride of Chucky says, I'd also be looking to get them into direct action, political activism, veganism, etc! Haha. I am also being mostly-serious when I say I'd like to call my son Keir Morrissey and my daughter Flora Coard. And I wonder why my friends say you should never be allowed to reproduce, Elizabeth!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Don't forget this:

Just to make sure we get the votes of Windows-ers as well (it's been posted several times before but maybe someone still doesn't know how to cheat properly ): it's the same trick really. Internetoptions---privacy---set to never accept cookies--- there you go. Vote til you drop!

Big thanks to Sonar for this tip.

Thank you for the thank you Andy:) but of course it wasn't my tip because I'm an idiot when it comes to computers. Well, I'm an idiot basically :D
But right now all this doesn't matter because we all have to keep voting!!! I'm sure they mentioned the exact amount of votes to get people to vote for Attenborough and McCartney... and keep Morrissey from winning. Call me paranoid but having read what goes on in the living icon-forum (one word: war) I suspect that the BBC is afraid of causing a scandal. As for me: I'm totally into scandals as long as it involves the honour of honourable Morrissey.

Thank you for the thank you Andy:) but of course it wasn't my tip because I'm an idiot when it comes to computers. Well, I'm an idiot basically :D
But right now all this doesn't matter because we all have to keep voting!!! I'm sure they mentioned the exact amount of votes to get people to vote for Attenborough and McCartney... and keep Morrissey from winning. Call me paranoid but having read what goes on in the living icon-forum (one word: war) I suspect that the BBC is afraid of causing a scandal. As for me: I'm totally into scandals as long as it involves the honour of honourable Morrissey.

;)

Nicely said dude.

Keep going peeps.

As I was just saying to a doubtless-captivated The More You Explore Me, I think sometimes cheating is justifiable for a greater good and this is one such occasion

I was doing it on the computers in the library and it worked, but now I'm home it's not. It says 'cookies cleared' but then when I go to do it again, it helpfully tells me I've already voted. Like, I know

Anyway. I bet all the Macca fans/naturists are cheating too... :p

As I was just saying to a doubtless-captivated The More You Explore Me, I think sometimes cheating is justifiable for a greater good and this is one such occasion

I was doing it on the computers in the library and it worked, but now I'm home it's not. It says 'cookies cleared' but then when I go to do it again, it helpfully tells me I've already voted. Like, I know

i am always captivated by you lilybett.... but when there is talk of cookies. i want biscuits:)

i wonder if Heather voted!!!!!

And what's with that Extinct show? Vote to save your favourite species?!? Jesus Christ. X Factor for bloody pandas.

Blimey - not heard that one... what channel is that on?
See you at John Lemon Airport Bride of Chucky!

The Goat

Cute but GIVE THE MAN A SANDWICH!!

Hey, it's not cheating! It simply allows for the intensity of dedication to be measured, rather than just the sheer number of people who (more or less) like someone. Therefore this kind of voting gives chance to people who are passionately loved or hated, instead of those who are merely acceptable to the majority! You can actually say that this is more fair! ;)

Hey, it's not cheating! It simply allows for the intensity of dedication to be measured, rather than just the sheer number of people who (more or less) like someone. Therefore this kind of voting gives chance to people who are passionately loved or hated, instead of those who are merely acceptable to the majority! You can actually say that this is more fair! ;)

I like the way you think/moooove

I've been reading through the posts on the message board for the living icon on the Culture Show page - people are being really vitriolic about Morrissey and our efforts to get him to win. But I simply can't understand why they don't stop carping and vote some more themselves. Do they honestly think there are only 25 of us all sat at the computer for hours at a time, constantly voting? I'm sure they'd be suprised to learn that most of us are completely normal people with families and jobs. They probably think we're all loners sat in a darkend room sobbing over copies of Byron's prose, while we listen to the Pope Of Mope (what a stupid nickname - thanks Media know it alls).

I must admit, I don't know if Morrissey really is the greatest Brittish Icon - I think Billy Bragg is probably a better candidate what with all his political activity and tireless campaigning and he also makes songs that are really relevant to the times we live in, but if he's not an option then I'm certainly going to vote Moz. I'd love to see him win. He's such a derided figure in this country and people don't seem to understand how much he really cares about the place. So what if he doesn't live here. He is a part of our culture, even if we are a subculture. And he's certainly a far more talented lyricist than Sir Paul. The only good album he's done has been the classical one in tribute to Linda!

David Attenborough is great, but he's nothing on Morrissey.

VOTE UNTIL YOUR FINGERS BLEED - I'm sure I can squeeze in a few more votes before then!

I suppose all this shows is that people don't care HOW you win, so long as you do.

If I see my football team win a match over a penalty wrongly given for diving I'm not happy. They have enough talent to win anyway, so why cheat?

But everyone does it!

Doesn't mean I have to.

And it doesn't matter if he wins or not.
Awards are not significant. If someone slates me it doesn't change me, make me a bad person. If someone praises me it doesn't make me kinder and nicer to know.

Morrissey has already achieved iconic status. A major part of that is representing those who say "no, I don't want to be like all the rest", so isn't being accepted by the mainstream BBC as such, a contradiction in terms?
Are they trying to draw the sting by normalising the opposition?

Bet he wouldn't accept a "Sir"..
:mad:

Maybe. Your post made me go a bit pink :o It's the same as cheating on a test, really.

The reason I always want his singles to go top ten, and part of the reason why I'd love him to win this, is because I want the record company to know they can't dump him! :rolleyes:

Anyway. Aside from Russell Brand and Jeremy Vine (lol), which famous people are backing Morrissey?

We want him to win because it satisfies our egos and reinforces our sometimes shallow existence; it makes us important for a fleeting moment in an otherwise unimportant life.

I am content with that.

Forza Morrissey!

Extinct - Unbelievable pish. I absolutely abhor anyone who sells their soul to promote these kinds of 'interactive' (read money spinning) shows.

Trevor MacDonald is turning into populist scum which is truly bizarre.

Anyway. Aside from Russell Brand and Jeremy Vine (lol), which famous people are backing Morrissey?

Quite a lot of comedians!
Sean Hughes, David Walliams, Vic and Bob, Harry Hill, possibly Kim Wilde and Chrissie Hynde.:)
Stuart Macornie did a pitch last week which ended up slagging match with Bill Oddie.:p

Back
Top Bottom