post 'Official' reviews of Swords

2w3x2z9.jpg

it is a great photo, it was made the same day as cover photo (I think:confused:) but looks so different...although I like both :)
Reminds me of this one a bit :

h67jgm8.jpg

'Attitude' magazine (UK gay publication) review in new issue. Martin Aston, I think, gives it 3/5. Says Moz has a habit of putting some of his best songs on b-sides, as well as a habit for penning straight-male fantasies such as 'Good Looking Man About Town' and 'Teenage Dad on His Estate'.

Teenage Dad is a straight-male fantasy? Jesus...just enjoy it for the undoubtedly great song it is and stop looking for stuff that isn't there. f***ing hell.

Peter

Last edited:
Perhaps a little off topic, but for those of you who prefer the download approach - 7digital.com has Swords, std 18-track version, available for a limited period for £5.

Last edited by a moderator:
PLEASE... Someone who already have Swords... I have some questions

1) The Two Disc edition have a "special" package (like YOR) or diferent? Any diference whit the simple edition like the bootlek ??

2) Here in Chile said that the Two disc edition comes whit a bonus DvD... Could that be true, is not only a live cd??

3) The 1 disc edition comes in a package like the Reissue of Maladjusted, Ecool-book, or just a normal Cd??

THANKS a lot and sorry for so many questions, but Swords arrives tomorrow and I don´t know which edition to buy!!

PD: Sorry for my terrible english, I do my best..

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the live disc. Not as good as the one we got with Greatest Hits. Why he feels the need to give us "Boy Happy" and "Pigsty" again I'll never know. The version of "Life is a Pigsty" from the Hollywood Bowl was absolutely brilliant; after one listen, this Warsaw version seems pale by comparison.

I have all the previously released stuff, but I'm quite enjoying the actual B-sides disc on first listen here. It's sequenced pretty well. However, lowpoints will undoubtedly be, for me, the "Sweetie Pie"/"Christian Dior" section; two dire songs. "I Knew I was Next" is horrible, too. In fact, this'll be the first time I've listened to it since its initial relase in 2006. I would've put "The Public Image" and "Floorbaords" on instead.

I know this is a thread for "official" reviews, but I can't really find a thread for fans' reactions to the new record.

Last edited:
I seriously don't understand the flack Christian Dior cops. It's in my top 5 Morrissey songs. Quite possibly number 1.

I seriously don't understand the flack Christian Dior cops. It's in my top 5 Morrissey songs. Quite possibly number 1.

it's a song which tends to polarise opinion. I absolutely love it. easily the best thing from 2006.
really poetic lyrics, some great observations, and a lovely piece of music. what's not to like?

Perhaps a little off topic, but for those of you who prefer the download approach - 7digital.com has Swords, std 18-track version, available for a limited period for £5.

I don't get the whole dl thing. Maybe because at 32 I am a generation that enjoyed the sleeve notes and packaging but paying a fiver for songs on my HD just't don't seem right to me.

Going to have to wait til Thursday when I arrive home, get some kip and wake up for the first train into town to buyit :) Going to be exciting that is for sure! I still love that feeling of buying a proper new release. :thumb:

ARTIST: Morrissey
RELEASE: Swords
BACKSTORY: Due out this week in the U.K. and Nov. 3 in the U.S., this 18-track disc compiles most of the ailing singer’s B-sides from 2004’s You Are the Quarry, 2006’s Ringleader of the Tormentors, 2008’s Greatest Hits and 2009’s Years of Refusal.Initial pressings also come with a bonus live CD recorded over this past summer in Poland.
BUY IT: Swords via Amazon.co.uk

www.slicingupeyeballs.com

I don't get the whole dl thing. Maybe because at 32 I am a generation that enjoyed the sleeve notes and packaging but paying a fiver for songs on my HD just't don't seem right to me.

most would agree.
altho downloads dominate sales of singles, CDs still account for the large majority of album sales.

it's a song which tends to polarise opinion. I absolutely love it. easily the best thing from 2006.
really poetic lyrics, some great observations, and a lovely piece of music. what's not to like?

I dunno what it is with this song ("Christian Dior"). I think I've had it on my ipod twice now (firstly upon its initial release and then again after reading Len Brown's continuous praise of the song in Meetings with Morrissey) and then subsequently deleted it to make room for other stuff. I just find it to be pretty boring, both musically and lyrically. This compilation will, I suppose, make me listen to it a few more times in the context of a whole album now.

Opinions, opinions, I know...but I just can't see it as anywhere near the best from 2006; a year which gave us "Life is a Pigsty", "Dear God Please Help Me" and "The Youngest was the Most Loved", great songs all.

Exactly, plus an incredibly strong vocal performance!

Well, after 15 years of mediocre album reviews, Q has finally given Morrissey 4 stars (for Swords, new Q out today).
If that doesn't put him in a good mood for tonight, I don't know what will!

Tags
reviews swords
Back
Top Bottom