official The Cribs & Johnny Marr thread

Does anybody have a link to the The Radcliffe and Maconie Show and the
NME Radio on Friday, September 18 performances? I missed them completely, and the old links don't work or something. Did anybody save them on the computer?

Does anybody have a link to the The Radcliffe and Maconie Show and the
NME Radio on Friday, September 18 performances? I missed them completely, and the old links don't work or something. Did anybody save them on the computer?
Oh, and the MTV2, Gonzo interview too, if possible. Thanks anyway!

i like the new cribs album - some of it is a bit generic and their voices are not
the finest of instruments but it has some catchy songs on their and thought they sounded great on jools last night ! I am off to see them in about 4 hours time at newcastle uni so i will find out for myself the neet ! got to take the dog out for a walk now- bye ! :thumb:

I enjoyed seeing them on Monday in Hull. The singer is a bit "shouty" like some people have said (and didn't seem to like the crowd chanting "Yorkshire! Yorkshire!" for some reason....) but the tunes are indeed catchy.

Especially when compared to Shakira Shakira.

Ahhhwooo!

haha i know Jool's and his later lot like to be diverse and eclectic but why why why Del..er Shakira? She really doesn't need the platform...more of a plank, to walk.

The new Cribs record certainly seems to have divided the masses.

Last edited:
Would Dave or anyone who saw the Jools show expound on why it was "awful" - thanks.

haha i know Jool's and his later lot like to be diverse and eclectic but why why why Del..er Shakira? She really doesn't need the platform...more of a plank, to walk.

The new Cribs record certainly seems to have divided the masses.

Without TOTP it's to be expected, the worst was probably "the wonderful" or "remarkable" (Jools is running low on meaningful adjectives) Taylor Swift. Deary me.

I wasn't overly impressed (I'm sorry, Jarmans) but Cheat On Me has grown ..on me.

Without TOTP it's to be expected, the worst was probably "the wonderful" or "remarkable" (Jools is running low on meaningful adjectives) Taylor Swift. Deary me.

Taylor Swift? The quality control has gone south.

Anyone have any current setlist information on these guys?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

10th September Rough Trade East store live setlist:

We Were Aborted
Emaculate Me
I'm A Realist
Cheat On Me
What About Me
We Share The Same Skies
Hara Kiri
Scenesters
City Of Bugs

Anyone have any current setlist information on these guys?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

On October 11 at Glasgow Barrowlands they played

We Were Aborted
Hey Scenesters!
I'm A Realist
Emasculate Me
Girls Like Mystery
Last Years Snow
Cheat On Me
We Share The Same Skies
We Can No Longer Cheat You
Direction
Hari Kari
Save Your Secrets
Our Bovine Public
Another Number
Ignore The Ignorant
Be Safe
Mirror Kissers
Mens Needs
City Of Bugs

Thanks guys....."Another Number".....nice! :guitar:

From The London Independent.

The Cribs, Kentish Town Forum, London
(Rated 4/ 5 )
Northern souls win more hearts

Reviewed by Jack Riley

Tuesday, 20 October 2009

When you bring together one of the finest Mancunian guitarists of his generation with a band of raucous Wakefield new-wave rockers labouring for the last five years under the tag of the great hope of the British guitar band the results are bound to be impressive. What no one can have realised, though, is quite how well the combination works.

Even with the addition, last year, of Smiths maestro Johnny Marr on guitar, there is nothing coy about the Cribs. From eschewing the tradition of encores to their uncompromising DIY style of playing and recording, they ooze a charming authenticity, despite being, as lead singer and guitarist Ryan Jarman concedes at one point during the evening, "not a radio band". In trying to describe their live performances it would be painfully easy to lapse into Northern cliché, with phrases like gritty, no-nonsense, down-to-earth all embarrassingly appropriate. In truth, though, swathes of tonight's show lift them above such faint praise. The projected voiceover of Sonic Youth's Lee Ranaldo on "Be Safe", for example, or the overwhelming enthusiasm with which they are encouraged by an audience consisting of fans both cheery and impassioned.

Having never seemed so far from his beginnings as the man who combined new-wave miserablism with surf guitar in the Smiths, Johnny Marr's screaming Fender Jaguar crashes into Ryan Jarman's Epiphone with all the ferocity of a modern-day instrumental War of the Roses – but the illusion of combat is precisely that, and over the evening their musical concord is exactly as Marr recently described the duo's approach to instrumentation – a "twin-guitar attack". Their transpennine special relationship is reiterated when, during "Emasculate Me", Marr and Jarman play their guitars back-to-back in a rare moment of rock pomposity.

"Do we have any old-school Cribs fans here?" Jarman asks, to chants of adulation from the audience, before launching into "We can no longer cheat you" from 2005's "The New Fellas". Though their older material sits comfortably with recent work like "Ignore the Ignorant" (the title track from their well-received most recent album), Marr seems at some points underutilised, although it is perhaps more of a reflection on how impressive he's been over the course of the gig than on the lack of new instrumentation for songs written when the band were still a three-piece.

Visibly relaxed onstage, Marr has commented on the "refreshing lack of neurosis" among his new bandmates, who are all brothers. Perhaps the element of the Cribs' songwriting that aids them most live is their ability to compose songs with vocals so firmly in the middle of the male register that the audience of thousands has no trouble contributing to the performance. Their punchy choruses turned into a swooning singalong, the venue reverberates with the melodic alienation of a pitch-perfect indie performance.

I'd been wondering what the song on MOTD 2 was that soundtracks the goals, it's just the riff you hear and i always thought it was very Smiths-esque.
Turns out it's 'We Share The Same Skies' so i really wasn't that far off.

I'd been wondering what the song on MOTD 2 was that soundtracks the goals, it's just the riff you hear and i always thought it was very Smiths-esque.
Turns out it's 'We Share The Same Skies' so i really wasn't that far off.
Agreed! I was tricked on the radio this morning into thinking it was "What Difference Does it Make" for about half a second....

I got an email from my friend whe went to see The Cribs at Budokan, Tokyo (supported Arctic Monkeys) on Monday.
According to her it's worth paying £60 for the front row ticket. Some youngsters in the back remarked 'Real Johnny Marr' which made them smile.
However, they didn't enjoy Arctic Monkeys.

Last edited:
Re: official The Cribs thread

Johnny is decent enough on the album, much better then the Healers were but the Cribs are just plain average and boring..i go with The Courteeners nowadays when I want my Brit Pop fix

For those who may be interested...

The Cribs
The Assembly
Leamington Spa
England
8th October 2009

http://www.sendspace.com/file/vrgudj

Tracklist:
1. Intro
2. We were Aborted
3. Hey Scenesters!
4. I'm A Realist