official The Cribs & Johnny Marr thread

Live in session, BBC Radio 2 tonight, 8-10pm, The Radcliffe and Maconie Show.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/the-radcliffe-and-maconie-show/

(I don't suppose anyone will ask about the note.....however it did get a mention on Planet Sound teletext on the TV today, alas no publicity for Swords)

The Cribs take over NME Radio on Friday (September 18).
From 2pm-3pm (BST) Ryan and Johnny will play the music they love. Then at 4pm the band will play a live session and will be interviewed by Iain Baker.

http://www.nme.com/news/the-cribs/47287

I don't think this has been posted, Johnny Marr on Radio 4, Front Row, 27/08/09, he and Gary Jarman discuss the thinking behind The Roses Edition and the enduring legacy of The Smiths.
It's listen again only now, starts approx 16 mins for 7 mins
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00m657z

Last edited:
I'm not a Cribs fan so I haven't heard the album. I've mostly read the music as being predictable boring-indie-rock-by-numbers.

This caught my eye in a review of the album by the Quietus:
"Songs are given room to breathe rather than being crushed by aggression, melodies are able to sparkle instead of being drowned out by mounds of sludge...Then, of course, there's Johnny Marr, whose gorgeous guitar work underpins many of the album's highlights. His fingerprints are all over the cascading jangling riff that weaves its way through 'We Share The Same Skies'. With the usual serrated guitars taking a backseat to Marr's spidery melody, it's a luxuriant treat that evokes the pulsating pure-pop of The Smiths' 'What Difference Does It Make?'"

All opinion of course, but is there any hint of what I read in the music? I've always loved Johnny, but I've had little interest in what he's done with the Cribs.

Marr's guitar is beautiful. It's more "out in front" than it was on say the Modest Mouse record and on most of Johnny's latter solo work, IMO.

The singer can be off-putting though, he's keeping me from really loving the record. But I shall give it more time.

Hidden, you can hear the album being streamed online at the Observer's web site.

From Fridays' Guardian.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/sep/18/johnny-marr-cribs-smiths

"I don't think it's worth saying in words what truly links the Smiths and the Cribs, though. I think it's probably better to do it with music. So here's my 12-track playlist that links my old band to my new one … "

The Buzzcocks - Everybody's Happy Nowadays
Shocking Blue – Lovebuzz
The Monochrome Set – Einne Symphonie Des Grauens
The Crystals – There's No Other Like My Baby
Brian Eno – Needles In a Camel's Eye
The Kinks – Autumn Almanac
X-Ray Spex – The Day the World Turned Day-Glo
The Beatles – This Boy
New York Dolls – Jet Boy
Sandie Shaw – Girl Don't Come
Cyndi Lauper – Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
The Velvet Underground – Candy Says

If you want to listen to tracks, you can find most on last.fm/youtube

The Cribs take over NME Radio on Friday (September 18).
From 2pm-3pm (BST) Ryan and Johnny will play the music they love. Then at 4pm the band will play a live session and will be interviewed by Iain Baker.

Taken from behind the glass at the NME recording session.

[youtube]AHeh6bQ8yLU&feature=channel[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
that single's a real grower, innit? a very pleasing piece of music.
shame about the bloody awful singing tho.
and, from what I can make out, the lyrics ain't up to much either...

that single's a real grower, innit? a very pleasing piece of music.
shame about the bloody awful singing tho.
and, from what I can make out, the lyrics ain't up to much either...

Why does everyone seem to hate the singing so much? It makes a nice change to hear someone who's not singing with a fake American accent and as far as I can tell he's not singing drastically out of tune (which history has shown us is not exactly a prerequisite in music by any means). I like a voice with character. Or maybe i'm just not that fussy.

Why does everyone seem to hate the singing so much?

I don't like it when he goes shouty and hoarse, it's very hard on the ears. He's fine singing in a "normal" register/timbre.

I'm not against screaming per se, it's very important in rock music (see: Daltrey, Roger). But this kid in the Cribs can't shout well. It isn't musical when he does it.

I don't like it when he goes shouty and hoarse, it's very hard on the ears. He's fine singing in a "normal" register/timbre.

I'm not against screaming per se, it's very important in rock music (see: Daltrey, Roger). But this kid in the Cribs can't shout well. It isn't musical when he does it.

I like Cribs, but totally agree with this comment.

Very enjoyable gig tonight.:thumb:
:thumb:

There are two singers, identical twins. Ryan, the guitar player, sings lead on City of Bugs. Gary, the bass player, sings lead on We Share The Same Skies and Cheat On Me. Gary, who seems to be the more shouty of the two, has already had two surgeries for throat nodules. :(

I absolutely love Cheat On Me - been playing it over and over for the last few weeks. I'm gonna wipe all the old stuff off my MP3 player shortly as I need a change and Ignore The Ignorant will be among the first new stuff on there. :thumb:

Gary, who seems to be the more shouty of the two, has already had two surgeries for throat nodules. :(

He's blowing out his voice. I'm surprised someone from the label hasn't recommended a voice coach who can guide him through a better way to use his voice.

Oh, wait: that was back when record labels had money.

Tonight..

23:20 Later Live... with Jools Holland
Joining Jools live in the studio are Mika and Gladys Knight. Plus performances from The Cribs, Shakira, The XX and The Duke and the King

That
Was
Just
Dreadful

Johnny. Why?

Dave

I downloaded the new album the other day off iTunes, its got a bunch of live tracks....honestly, I think its pretty good. Everyone was complaining about lead singer's voice.....I've heard worse.

The live tracks are pretty good, great energy. Reminds me of Franz Ferdinand in a way.

i like the new cribs album - some of it is a bit generic and their voices are not
the finest of instruments but it has some catchy songs on their and thought they sounded great on jools last night ! I am off to see them in about 4 hours time at newcastle uni so i will find out for myself the neet ! got to take the dog out for a walk now- bye ! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom