NME: "Watch Johnny Marr perform a Smiths classic with Gaz Coombes" (August 14, 2023)

Watch Johnny Marr perform a Smiths classic with Gaz Coombes

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out with Gax Coombes. Only a brief clip.
Regards,
FWD.

full

I love Supergrass. As it happens I've been listening to their old albums quite a bit lately.

In It For The Money is an excellent album if you want to get into them.

Latter half of their stuff isn't as good but Road to Rouen is my favourite album of theirs because it's the first album they really came into their own - that's coming from someone that saw them 4 times in a year when in it for the money came out! I still have my foil t-shirt from that tour, got a few holes in it.

Late in the day is my fav off that album,

I love this off of Road to Rouen

Looking forward to seeing Ian McCulloch on Sky Arts The Great Song Writers series tonight but didn't realise Johnny appeared in the last series.

Well, Girl From Tel Aviv has amazing lyrics. That is 'recent'. So does Forgive Someone, Spent The Day, etc. Yes, he hasn't written another YA or V&I type album lately, where most of the songs presented have great lyrics. You're right about lyrics today not being consistently very good - the 'Morrissey Standard Lyric' of more than two decades ago.

Girl From Tel Aviv is one of his best ever lyrics, and stories as well. Not that you were saying he doesn't ever write good lyrics nowadays, but many of the good ones (from this recent era) happen to be great.
The Girl is awful! Are you okay? Spent is silly and plain stupid. Forgive Someone is really good though. There are several exceptions, but mostly his output of the last ten years has been dire.

The Girl is awful! Are you okay? Spent is silly and plain stupid. Forgive Someone is really good though. There are several exceptions, but mostly his output of the last ten years has been dire.

:LOL: I suppose Girl From could go either way (due to the musical style, subject matter {maybe?}). I think it tells a very descriptive tale and alludes to many truths. Plus, the ballroom-dance like 'La Da Dah, La Da Dah' part really sounds nice. Regarding Spent, 'No Bus, No Boss...' is a terrific final chorus, and one of his most memorable lyrics to me. I think LIHS is a pretty good album overall. I think his recent original material has been generally good, some of it great - with always a few clunkers thrown in.

I still look forward to his next LP, whenever that will arrive.

Last edited:
Good old Johnny loves talking shit about Morrissey, but he's more than willing to sing his lyrics. Hypocrite.

Good old Johnny loves talking shit about Morrissey, but he's more than willing to sing his lyrics. Hypocrite.
Really, same for Morrissey playing Johnny's music. And where does Johnny talk shit about Morrissey? What are you referring to?

Really, same for Morrissey playing Johnny's music. And where does Johnny talk shit about Morrissey? What are you referring to?
Don’t bother. Some folks here think that if you dislike Johnny, the Morrissey god shines his light on you even brighter and you are considered a bigger and better Morrissey fan than those that like both JM and Moz. They fail to recognize that JM and Moz made each other’s careers.

Don’t bother. Some folks here think that if you dislike Johnny, the Morrissey god shines his light on you even brighter and you are considered a bigger and better Morrissey fan than those that like both JM and Moz. They fail to recognize that JM and Moz made each other’s careers.
Thank you sir, they totally did create magic together.

I don’t give a f*** about light shining down on me, Sonny Jim, I’m bright enough. Yeah, Morrissey still sings his vocals to JM’s music — so what, he’s never badmouthed him. Morrissey had actually praised JM music since their split. JM and his boy, on the other hand, couldn’t keep Morrissey’s name out of their mouth until el Hefe told him to all but shut his mouth via a post on Morrissey Central.

I don’t give a f*** about light shining down on me, Sonny Jim, I’m bright enough. Yeah, Morrissey still sings his vocals to JM’s music — so what, he’s never badmouthed him. Morrissey had actually praised JM music since their split. JM and his boy, on the other hand, couldn’t keep Morrissey’s name out of their mouth until el Hefe told him to all but shut his mouth via a post on Morrissey Central.
Do you mean he's praised his Smiths music since the split? He has said some negative things about his post-Smiths work (some comments about Electronic come to mind).

Latter half of their stuff isn't as good but Road to Rouen is my favourite album of theirs because it's the first album they really came into their own - that's coming from someone that saw them 4 times in a year when in it for the money came out! I still have my foil t-shirt from that tour, got a few holes in it.

Late in the day is my fav off that album,

I love this off of Road to Rouen

I don't know that album. I'll give it all a listen. This song you posted sounds great!

Do you mean he's praised his Smiths music since the split? He has said some negative things about his post-Smiths work (some comments about Electronic come to mind).
Interesting. Can you cite any sources?

Wasn't that very record meant as a dig towards Morrissey? Wonder if he was aware of that.

There are quite a few examples of Johnny taking digs at Moz btw. Most rather old, true.

Those words to "Getting Away with It" were written by Neil Tennant. Have you ever heard the song? It is lovely and heartbreaking, don't see how it could be taken as an insult.

Tags
johnny marr

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom