Ludus

Wow, thank you so much, this is great :D
Now I can understand most of what what she sings on Too Hot To Handle:

"I dance around with my bones (? she mumbles something I can't make out)
Do what you want if I want it too

I ask for bread and you give me stones
I need a dress to cover my bones
"

Which version do you prefer, this one or the live one from Damage? This one is good and clearer, but I still kind of prefer the live version, because it's fierce! The angry screaming is awesome. :)

Last edited:
Thank you so much!

Here are the songs I cut from Kochka's mp3 using SoundForge:

Too Hot To Handle (Peel session) (originally called Dress)

Vagina Gratitude (Peel session) - this is the one where Linder read slang expressions for vagina from some catalogue...I'm amazed how many different expressions there are in the English language! :D

Covenant (Peel session)

Vagina Gratitude isn't complete, you can hear Linder starting to say something when Riley's voice interferes... I cut out all the bla-bla, including that part.

Hm, Ludus Peel session is supposed to consist of 4 songs...so, he played only 3? The 4th one should be Wrapped In Silence...it's a long one, maybe he had no time. :( It's probably very similar to the live version on The Damage.

Thanks for seperating them into the seperate tracks :)

I was hoping that he would play the whole session, but most of the time he doesn't play all of a requested session so I was kind of expecting that I wouldn't hear one of the songs.
Still, I think he chose the right 3 songs to play seeing as two of them we haven't heard and we got to hear a clearer version of Too Hot To Handle.

Now I can understand most of what what she sings on Too Hot To Handle:

"I dance around with my bones (? she mumbles something I can't make out)
Do what you want because I want it too

I ask for bread and you give me stones
I need a dress to cover my bones
"

Which version do you prefer, this one or the live one from Damage? This one is good, but I prefer the live version, because it's fierce! The angry screaming is awesome. :)

I know, it's great to finally get to hear what Linder is singing.

I've been listening to both versions so much today. I loved The Damage version ever since I first heard it, and its one of my favourite Ludus songs. I really love this version as well, but i prefer the intensity of the live version :)

Recently my computer got cleaned out, so all of my songs were erased. So I was wondering if someone could upload these songs. I know they have been uploaded many times, but just please, it would be very appreciated.:)

Mutilate
Mouthpiece
Let Me Go WHere My Pictures Go
Little Girls
Too Hot to Handle(Live)
What a Falling Off Was There
Patient
The Fool
Breaking the Rules
My Cherry Is In Sherry
Lullaby Cheat
Sightseeing
I Can't Swim, I Have Nightmares
Mother's Hour
Unveiled(A Woman's Travelogue)
See the Keyhole
Herstory
Mirror Mirror
The Escape Artist

I know it's a lot, but please..

Wow, that's bloody amazing! Thanks for sharing :D

no problem.
i share wisely, that's what i was advised by the person who gave this to me. i hope you guys enjoy them. ludus....is just...well...it does not need to be said obviously. one of the best bands ever created, and it is such a shame there isn't more information on them.

i soooo badly wanted to see the Linder exhibit in NY...and it is so awful that it ended a couple of weeks back because I am going to NY so soon...
I heard they were showing the Hacienda footage and everything...my dreammmmm is to see that.

I have a question...what is one song that got you into Ludus? Mine, aside from the obvious Breaking the Rules, would have to be Box. The lyrics are so powerful and really speak to me.

Ludus interview, NME 5th September 1981

MILITANT WORDS IN A ROCK AND ROLL VACUUM

Another routine interview concluded, I said thank you to Ludus. I popped the recorder in a pocket and looked for the bar. There's not much else to do in a dark mid-week mid-Manchester discotheque.
But Ludus had other ideas. "Aren't you going to ask us our message for the world, then?" said Ian Devine, the group's guitarist. "Don't you want to talk about Politics?"
He wasn't smiling, but it took me a moment to see he was serious. I said that I don't usually raise politics in interviews any more, that it proved too unpopular. And while Linder Ludus sat back in shadow, the other two Luduses leaned forward, suddenly alert.
Well Ludus are a militant group, they said. Ian Devine explained "Everything we do is a reflection of what we feel about things generally. You say most people shy away from talking about it...well, hopefully the day will come when your paper's just full of people saying 'Look, we find it indecent to be talking about rock and roll in a vacuum'. Hopefully, the music papers will be full of bands saying 'We do give a toss about the world, and we are gonna do our bit, do our damnedest to change things, however small that attempt may be.' "
Tough talk from a group often dismissed as effete, artsy doodlers. Dids, aka Graham Dowdell, who's the drummer, took up the theme: "Rock's always taken a covert fascist stance really, in the way that it's always been male dominated and hero-dominated. And it's time to get away from that, time for rock musicians to look outside the stereotyped sexual relationships.
Linder's lyrics say very specific things about women's position in the world, and the music hopefully states similar things in more general terms. When we don't comply with traditional musical forms, that's a manifestation of a refusal to comply with the forms of a society that's been dished down to us...Rock isn't supposed to be put on a pedestal as 'Art' and seperated from life."
Okay. Ludus, it's fairly clear, don't approach the fun world of popular music-making in quite the same way as the majority of their contemporaries. And the three years of the group's exsistence have seen them grow more, not less, distanced from it.
Once a highly-promising new oufit who played early dates supporting Magazine, they've since split and splintered and come back in different shapes, and drifted steadily away from the mainstream of commercial potential and critical acceptance. Once upon a time, NME described them as "bewitching, elaborate and precarious". By the time of their most recent review, a former admirer saw them as "precious but worthless".
I used to rate them an awful lot. Nowadays, although I can admire their uncompromising stance, their musical output seems more erratic: flashes of magic and puddles of boredom.
Line-up wise, the one constant element since formation has been the singing of Linder, a sort of ethereal jazz. Her remarkable graphics, including drawings and montage (she was responsible for early Buzzcocks and Magazine cover work also) are another integral feature of Ludus product.This was taken to its highest stage yet with the release of 'Pickpocket', a cassette/booklet package on Manchester's New Hormones label, designed by her, compromising a six-track tape and magazine of Linder's words amd pictures by a friend, Birrer. The tape follows two vinyl releases ('The Visit' EP and a single 'My Cherry Is In Sherry'/'Anatomy is Not Destiny' and precedes a new 45 'Mother's Hour'/'Patient'.
As former musicians "drifted away", Ludus came to rest on a nucleus of Linder, Ian Devine and Graham Dowdell. As yet, no one's been slotted in as a permanent bass-player, though "live auditions" continue. And now they find themselves with a backlog of unrecorded material, to be committed to a LP (or perhaps a double 12") "when New Hormones can afford it". What can be certain is that the finished result will be intensely individual, owing little to anything else around.
For one thing, the group lay stress on improvisation, a tactic that's hardly calculated to endear them to a wide audience. Or is it?
"About a year ago," said Linder, "we were doing these gigs that were totally improvised and we thought that people would really hate it, be abusive and walk out. But they didn't - and we were really surpirsed."
Whatever the reviews say, the band's infrequent live shows demostrate there's a sizeable crowd prepared to bear with Ludus' experiments. Maybe the post-punk climate has been changing in their favour?
Ian: "A year ago we were supporting UB40 at the Factory and we just got the most terrible abuses right through the set. We were playing, then we stopped, and it was 'f***-off f***-off'. And yet tonight (a show at Manchester's Gallery) the response was much nicer. So the response has changed, but that's an active thing, due to our perserverance, rather than that an external force has become more favourable."
And Ludus are ambitious: Ian Devine, particularly, shows no fondness for cult appeal. He's fed up with them being "the oldest up-and-coming group"..."The Visit sold 3500 really quickly, and the next single sold 1000, which is really poxy - any band can get rid of 1000 singles. And our single was an attempt to be more accessible."
Lack of wider accaptance, they claim, is due to factors like limited press exposure and no funds to advertise with, rather than to their music.
"I don't think it's inaccessable," says Graham reasonably. "It's hopefully rich and interesting, but I don't think it's difficult to enjoy, or difficult to listen to. We try to make parts of it danceable." (Looking around the disco, it's not easy to imagine the sounds of, say, Ludus' 'Mutilate' inducing night fever on any large scale. Anyhow...)
Ian devine gets impatient: "This thing about inaccessability. Some bands break through really quickly: they form, three months later they're immensely popular. You get other bands who take two or three years to come through, and that's what we're gonna do. We'll do it eventually, we'll break through. We'll sell 10,000 records instead of 1000. It's just a matter of time."
Graham:"But we wouldn't be interested in diluting the music to do that. It's vital that the popularity is on our terms"
And that, I take it, means the songs remaining as committed as ever? Linder agrees, especially in the area that's loosely called feminism:"I can't help but deal with those things, because I'm a woman and I'm writing the lyrics. That's how I see the world; and I'm treated in a certain way because I happen to be female. It concerns me."
And your music? Linder:"It would be easy - because we're technically able - we could easily do a jazzy set or Latin American. It would be easy for us to think, let's become fashionable and develop a very slick, easy sound. But we're not interested.

By Paul Du Noyer, NME Sept 5 1981

ahhh awesome little charmer! for that you get..

linder2zt8.jpg

Wow, another amazing photo! Thanks :)

In the NME I got the interview from there is also a picture of Linder by Kevin Cummins, if I can find a way of getting it scanned I'll post it here.

Thank you so much for the article and the photos, Littlecharmer and Pandora! :)

Ludus interview, NME 5th September 1981

MILITANT WORDS IN A ROCK AND ROLL VACUUM

(...)
Once a highly-promising new oufit who played early dates supporting Magazine, they've since split and splintered and come back in different shapes, and drifted steadily away from the mainstream of commercial potential and critical acceptance. Once upon a time, NME described them as "bewitching, elaborate and precarious". By the time of their most recent review, a former admirer saw them as "precious but worthless".
I used to rate them an awful lot. Nowadays, although I can admire their uncompromising stance, their musical output seems more erratic: flashes of magic and puddles of boredom.

Erm... "precious but worthless"?! :confused: (Oxy)moron or what? :rolleyes:

It's good to see that NME articles have always been as stupid as they are now. :D

no problem.
i share wisely, that's what i was advised by the person who gave this to me. i hope you guys enjoy them. ludus....is just...well...it does not need to be said obviously. one of the best bands ever created, and it is such a shame there isn't more information on them.

i soooo badly wanted to see the Linder exhibit in NY...and it is so awful that it ended a couple of weeks back because I am going to NY so soon...
I heard they were showing the Hacienda footage and everything...my dreammmmm is to see that.

I have a question...what is one song that got you into Ludus? Mine, aside from the obvious Breaking the Rules, would have to be Box. The lyrics are so powerful and really speak to me.

I think it was The Escape Artist when I heard The Damage, and then when I got The Visit/TheSeduction I got further hooked by Mirror Mirror and Mother's Hour.

Back
Top Bottom