Ludus

thank you little charmer! haven't read that one.
I didn't know that this thread existed!!!! i adore Ludus, they're my second favorite band to the Smiths, and Linder, well, Linder I love almost as much as Morrissey, there just aren't enough resources on herrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!
I was also wondering what the full lyrics of "too hot to handle" are (i think i've read somewhere that the song was originally called 'the dress' but because of the outcome of the live performance where the song was recorded, people leaving and stuff, they called it 'too hot to handle" instead).
As soon as I find musicians, I will be covering a lot of Ludus' stuff. I think we'll start with She She and work our way down the list.

After reading some of the superlatives on this thread i am very interested in hearing some Ludus. I have read some references when reading some of young Morrissey's letters to music magazines. I have been unable to find any Ludus in my ususal sources and because of this i entreat the kind users of Morrissey-Solo to break my hymen and take my Ludus virginty by sending me some material of said group. I would be grateful but be ever so gentle for i am only a young un.

Last edited:
After reading some of the superlatives on this thread i am very interested in hearing some Ludus. I have read some references when reading some of young Morrissey's letters to music magazines. I have been unable to find any Ludus in my ususal sources and because of this i entreat the kind users of Morrissey-Solo to break my hymen and take my Ludus virginty by sending me some material of said group. I would be grateful but be ever so gentle for i am only a young un.

*Sobs* no takers, the story of my life.

*Sobs* no takers, the story of my life.

i'd send you some of their stuff but i don't know how to upload it!!!
if you dont have enough money to order their cds, get soulseek. you can find a lot of their things on there, with a little patience. it's well worth it.

i'd send you some of their stuff but i don't know how to upload it!!!
if you dont have enough money to order their cds, get soulseek. you can find a lot of their things on there, with a little patience. it's well worth it.

Yes, defiantly try soulseek. I've got so much great stuff from there. I've even managed to get the scans of the pickpocket booklet. I've also seen some "demos" on there.

I'll try and upload some stuff for you and anyone else who wants it sometime this week. Nightandday uploaded loads of great songs but the links are now expired.

Slightly off topic but I've come across a Linder interview, I don't know how new it is but its got some good pictures.

"Interviewer: What is the lyric that most vitally captures your vision of life?
LS: In the here and now, it has to be, gloriously:

At last I am born
it took me a long, long time
but now I am born

which also leaves the last words on the subject to my spiritual obstetrician, Morrissey. And it's good news, it's twins!"

http://latest-art.co.uk/features/?id=2
Thanks for the link, that one was new to me! :)

"the missing link between Tracey Emin and Yoko Ono"... I always thought she should feel offended by that description. And by that, of course, I mean the Tracey Emin comparison.

Hmm, she failed to comment on Emin...

OK so i noticed the strangest thing which is probably old news but still. Too Hot to Handle and I Can't Swim I have Nightmares well, the first minute of it at least, sounds very alike. The music and the melody. Give it a listen...the lyrics are different...but I had my Ludus collection on while sitting in the other room, and I could have sworn that Too Hot to Handle was playing, when I walked in the room, it was I Can't Swim I have Nightmares.... weird that I've never connected the two before!

OK so i noticed the strangest thing which is probably old news but still. Too Hot to Handle and I Can't Swim I have Nightmares well, the first minute of it at least, sounds very alike. The music and the melody. Give it a listen...the lyrics are different...but I had my Ludus collection on while sitting in the other room, and I could have sworn that Too Hot to Handle was playing, when I walked in the room, it was I Can't Swim I have Nightmares.... weird that I've never connected the two before!

I've just gave it a listen and your right, they do sound very similar. I've never noticed before.

I've just gave it a listen and your right, they do sound very similar. I've never noticed before.

isn't it weird??? maybe they re-wrote nightmares for the show....
i've always wanted to see that gig at Hacienda...it's on tape, and from what I've heard, Linder has been showing it at some art meetings/conferences for women/what do i knows...I'd kill to see that!!!

I was listening to Marc riley's Brain Surgery last night on BBC 6 Music and he has a feature on the show called Peel By Request. Anyway as the name suggests it lets you request any Peel session. Well as the Ludus Peel session has never been released I emailed Marc requesting the Ludus session. I thought that if enough people email the show requesting the Ludus session he might play it. Do you think there would be a chance if enough requests were made? I've sent an email requesting it and so far one other person I know has as well. I've also sent a message to the Ludus myspace page in hope that enough people on there will also email the show and request it. I know theres a fair few Ludus fans on here, so basically what Im saying is that we could all email Marc Riley requesting the session. We may as well because I can't think of any other chance of hearing the session.
Here's Marc Riley's 6 music page, if you scroll down there is the Peel By Request link. The Ludus session was on 04/08/82
http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/brain_surgery/

I was listening to Marc riley's Brain Surgery last night on BBC 6 Music and he has a feature on the show called Peel By Request. Anyway as the name suggests it lets you request any Peel session. Well as the Ludus Peel session has never been released I emailed Marc requesting the Ludus session. I thought that if enough people email the show requesting the Ludus session he might play it. Do you think there would be a chance if enough requests were made? I've sent an email requesting it and so far one other person I know has as well. I've also sent a message to the Ludus myspace page in hope that enough people on there will also email the show and request it. I know theres a fair few Ludus fans on here, so basically what Im saying is that we could all email Marc Riley requesting the session. We may as well because I can't think of any other chance of hearing the session.
Here's Marc Riley's 6 music page, if you scroll down there is the Peel By Request link. The Ludus session was on 04/08/82
http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/brain_surgery/

Emailed! Now we play the waiting game.
I would love to hear it. Do you think any of us would be able to record it so we can have it for future use?
What I would love to see is the Hacienda gig on video. I know it exists and last I heard it was shown at some kind of a feminist/art convention in in England...I am honestly LIVING for the moment that I can see it. It is mildly annoying that Linder is such an influence of mine, yet there are SO few things on her out there. I think it adds even more mystery, which is appealing.

Emailed! Now we play the waiting game.
I would love to hear it. Do you think any of us would be able to record it so we can have it for future use?
What I would love to see is the Hacienda gig on video. I know it exists and last I heard it was shown at some kind of a feminist/art convention in in England...I am honestly LIVING for the moment that I can see it. It is mildly annoying that Linder is such an influence of mine, yet there are SO few things on her out there. I think it adds even more mystery, which is appealing.

If this is successful I hope someone can record it. I would do it myself but I don't know how. I've heard that the Hacienda gig was shown as well, I really want to see it. I just hope that one day I can :)

If this is successful I hope someone can record it. I would do it myself but I don't know how. I've heard that the Hacienda gig was shown as well, I really want to see it. I just hope that one day I can :)

Me too! I wish Ludus were bigger in the 80s..I go on You tube every day in hopes of someone having some mercy on us and posting that tape! But alas, no.

Just got this reply from the Ludus myspace page.

"Hello Emily.

We'd love to help get Ludus on the radio, it would mean much to bring some art into the artless world and possibly introduce the band to new people. In hopes that fans support us, and knowing that Marc Riley is a respectable DJ (and an acquaintance to the members of Ludus), a bulletin will be posted.

All love to a fan & brightest blassings.
Ludus"

Let's hope this works! :D

Just got this reply from the Ludus myspace page.

"Hello Emily.

We'd love to help get Ludus on the radio, it would mean much to bring some art into the artless world and possibly introduce the band to new people. In hopes that fans support us, and knowing that Marc Riley is a respectable DJ (and an acquaintance to the members of Ludus), a bulletin will be posted.

All love to a fan & brightest blassings.
Ludus"

Let's hope this works! :D

You're kidding me- is that really Ludus' myspace?????? Because I thought it was just a tribute. Wow!!!!!! So one of the members actually runs it??????

You're kidding me- is that really Ludus' myspace?????? Because I thought it was just a tribute. Wow!!!!!! So one of the members actually runs it??????

I thought it was just a tribute as well, still not sure whther one of the members actually run it, it would be so cool if they did! The bulletin hasn't been sent yet to my knowledge, so I'm still hoping this will work :D

I thought it was just a tribute as well, still not sure whther one of the members actually run it, it would be so cool if they did! The bulletin hasn't been sent yet to my knowledge, so I'm still hoping this will work :D

Aaah! It sounds like maybe Linder runs it. Or Ian! I sent a message just in case...my god...they NEED to release the Hacienda video for us to see...I think we deserve it.

Back
Top Bottom