Ludus

Slightly off topic but I've come across a Linder interview, I don't know how new it is but its got some good pictures.

"Interviewer: What is the lyric that most vitally captures your vision of life?
LS: In the here and now, it has to be, gloriously:

At last I am born
it took me a long, long time
but now I am born

which also leaves the last words on the subject to my spiritual obstetrician, Morrissey. And it's good news, it's twins!"

http://latest-art.co.uk/features/?id=2

thanks for this :D
ps I nicked it and stuck it in shot... with a little clip I have. :p

totally nicked

Last edited:
http://www.ps1.org/ps1_site/content/view/268/102/

for all of you lucky new yawkers....
you even get to see the hacienda footage
I emailed the guy who runs the exhibit practically begging him to please find a way to share that video with all of us who cannot make it to New York. I have never stooped so low as to beg..but for Linder, I'll do almost anything.

It worked! Last night on Marc Riley's BBC6 music show he read out my email and said he will play the Ludus session sometime in the next few weeks!:D

Ah wonderful.
Either I am deaf....but I can't figure out what Morrissey is saying in the video. Can you summarize for me?? This is embarrassing..

yes I can, basically this is the bit where he introduces the band, so he jokes he spent some time in prison and before he introduces the band he says that he would like us to meet his long time friend Linder Sterling a wonderful woman.

Well four songs were played for the session. He usually plays around 3 or 4 songs I think so Im hoping the whole session gets played.

oh my GOD. you MUST record this for me. in exchange, i can share two unreleased photos of ludus live!

oh my GOD. you MUST record this for me. in exchange, i can share two unreleased photos of ludus live!

I want it recorded too, but I'm stupid when it comes to technology so I don't know how! Surely there's someone on here who can record it for us?
Please share the Ludus photos, I really want to see them! :D

OK so i noticed the strangest thing which is probably old news but still. Too Hot to Handle and I Can't Swim I have Nightmares well, the first minute of it at least, sounds very alike. The music and the melody. Give it a listen...the lyrics are different...but I had my Ludus collection on while sitting in the other room, and I could have sworn that Too Hot to Handle was playing, when I walked in the room, it was I Can't Swim I have Nightmares.... weird that I've never connected the two before!
You never noticed it before? I always realized it was the same melody, only with different lyrics and played as a shorter, fiercer punk song rather than an improvisational jazz tune. They obviously liked to recycle their old songs, like in "Herstory", which is basically a medley of several of their other songs with an added new verse/song and some improvisation. And the basic melody and particularly the beginning of "Unveiled (A Woman's Travelogue)" sounds similar to "Unveil" - it's like a longer, more complicated and developed version of "Unveil".

It worked! Last night on Marc Riley's BBC6 music show he read out my email and said he will play the Ludus session sometime in the next few weeks!:D
OMG! OMG! Yes! Yes! Yes! :):):)

Is it possible to listen to his show online?

Please...whoever listens to it, record it and make it available to all of us!!!

Emailed! Now we play the waiting game.
I would love to hear it. Do you think any of us would be able to record it so we can have it for future use?
What I would love to see is the Hacienda gig on video. I know it exists and last I heard it was shown at some kind of a feminist/art convention in in England...I am honestly LIVING for the moment that I can see it. It is mildly annoying that Linder is such an influence of mine, yet there are SO few things on her out there. I think it adds even more mystery, which is appealing.
I e-mailed James Nice, the head of the LTM records, to ask him about the video and the BBC sessions. He said Linder has so far 'sidestepped' his requests to release the Hacienda footage on DVD.

As for the Peel sessions, they couldn't release it because it would be too expensive to licence it from BBC.

OMG! OMG! Yes! Yes! Yes! :):):)

Is it possible to listen to his show online?

Please...whoever listens to it, record it and make it available to all of us!!!

Yes, it is possible to listen to the show online. It will also be on listen again so your be able to listen to it for a week after its broadcast.

I really hope someone can record it. Maybe someone in downloads/bootlegs would know how to record it and wouldn't mind doing so.

OMG! The Ludus Peel session is being played on wednesday's show!

Will anyone be able to record it? Please :o :)

Just a reminder that the Peel Session is on tonight, on BBC 6 music at 7.00pm
:)

I'm kind of pissed because Linder's exhibit in NY is ending after this weekend... I wish it was on display through the NY shows, I really would have liked to have seen it!

Here, 3 tracks : Too hot to handle / Covenant / Vagina Gratitude.

I tried to cut the "bla-bla", but it was difficult.
One file : http://rapidshare.com/files/56947325/ludus.mp3.html
Thank you so much!

Here are the songs I cut from Kochka's mp3 using SoundForge:

Too Hot To Handle (Peel session) (originally called Dress)

Vagina Gratitude (Peel session) - this is the one where Linder read slang expressions for vagina from some catalogue...I'm amazed how many different expressions there are in the English language! :D

Covenant (Peel session)

Vagina Gratitude isn't complete, you can hear Linder starting to say something when Riley's voice interferes... I cut out all the bla-bla, including that part.

Hm, Ludus Peel session is supposed to consist of 4 songs...so, he played only 3? The 4th one should be Wrapped In Silence...it's a long one, maybe he had no time. :( It's probably very similar to the live version on The Damage.

Back
Top Bottom