Does Jesse really sound like Alain?

I think you've got to remember that the writers only come up with the bare bones of the song. Once you get into the studio I'm sure a band sound takes over as the musicians all add their own styles to the mix. Plus the producer and Morrissey will have quite a say in how the arrangements turn out. It's no wonder you can't tell them apart.

Good point, but I still think pretty much anyone could sound like anyone else, at least people as talented as Alain, Boz, Jese, etc. All these writers are writing for the same artist, in the same genre, for the same album, at the same time, in the same environment. So yes the producer and the rest of the band still has an impact on the overall sound and the rest of the arrangements, but the bare bones on most of Morrissey's songs sound like any of his songwriters could have written it. And that is only a credit to the talent of everyone involved with Morrissey really. :)

Would you agree with my post Kuiper???

cossy

I'm inclined too, I'm just a fairly new fan so I wasn't up on public opinion on who should stay or go. :o

I too think it's unfair to judge Jesse's 6 or 7 song contribution against Alain's large body of work with Moz (trainspotters: how many credited Morrissey/Whyte compositions are there?).

In my non-muso opinion, Jesse's songs are simpler than Alain's (whose are arguably simpler than Marr's). I think On The Streets and In The Future are corkers. They're not brilliantly original tracks, but they're the kind of music Morrissey likes to sing to, judging by his praise for Jesse and the enthusiasm in his vocals.

Marr's heights are hard to reach, but Alain has a lot more range, I'd say. Alain's jangly songs may not top Marr's best melodies (though some are definitely as good as), but I don't see Johnny (who's mostly regressed into sub-Oasis dirges -- I'm happy to hear other opinons) doing anything as compelling as First Of The Gang..., The Never Played Symphonies, Life Is A Pigsty, Don't Make Fun Of..., etc. The difference between I Will See You... and Dear God..., which are of course back to back on ROTT, is remarkable.

i think jesse is a better guitarist, but alain has character!

Back
Top Bottom