Does Jesse really sound like Alain?

MozIsGod

When people heard that Morrissey hired a new songwriter in Jesse, they were excited. However, after hearing Ringleader, they've said that Jesse's stuff isn't really that different from what Alain brings to the table. Do you agree with that statement?

I think it's reasonably different enough. But it's clearly going to be a bit like Alain's work as clearly that's what Morrissey likes. In the same way Alain wrote jingle jangle/glam for Your Arsenal that has obvious Smithy sounds. Plus it's not really fair to judge on the 6 or so songs that Jesse has done for Moz. He needs to be able to write a fair few more before a fair comparsion can by made in terms of style.

Although of course the fact that the songs were all played by the same band and produced by the same man will mean they all have a similar sound on record anyway.

I think it's reasonably different enough. But it's clearly going to be a bit like Alain's work as clearly that's what Morrissey likes. In the same way Alain wrote jingle jangle/glam for Your Arsenal that has obvious Smithy sounds. Plus it's not really fair to judge on the 6 or so songs that Jesse has done for Moz. He needs to be able to write a fair few more before a fair comparsion can by made in terms of style.

Although of course the fact that the songs were all played by the same band and produced by the same man will mean they all have a similar sound on record anyway.

maaaan, what on Your Arsenal sounds anything like the smiths?
and Jesse and Alain are completely different, Alain has that old Morrissey trick that makes you feel like your listening to a morrissey song, where as Jesse makes you feel as you're listening to a NEW Morrissey song....

Generally speaking they are different.

Jesse has only been on board for one album, and the Ringleader sessions alone will not be enough to make a fair comparison between Jesse and Alain. Thus, Alain has demonstrated a broader range of styles and sound, while at the same time remaining true to the formula that Morrissey obviously feels best suited to. I think Jesse will bring more diversity to the table with the next album, especially if there is an overall progression in sound as has been noted.

maaaan, what on Your Arsenal sounds anything like the smiths?

I would like to quote Mr Alain Whyte, if I may.

Alain Whyte said:
'Seasick, Yet Still Docked' and 'We'll Let You Know' are very Smiths-like... I studied a lot of the Smiths' stuff, so I've got a feel for that... you get an idea of the kind of music Morrissey likes and what would suit him.

Simple fact is when Alain was in the band many "fans" called for Moz to find a new collaborater. "Alain was not Marresque" "He couldnt take Moz any further" These were other fans opinions from these boards and not mine. Then Alain leaves in mysterious circumstances and he is a messiah. Moz takes a risk with Tobias and like it it or lump it it has given the live show a tighter feel. As a songwriter it is impossible to compare both yet. A lot of "fans" have short memories. They wanted Alain out. Now Jessie is getting the same treatment.

Cant please everyone

cossy:o

Simple fact is when Alain was in the band many "fans" called for Moz to find a new collaborater. "Alain was not Marresque" "He couldnt take Moz any further" These were other fans opinions from these boards and not mine. Then Alain leaves in mysterious circumstances and he is a messiah. Moz takes a risk with Tobias and like it it or lump it it has given the live show a tighter feel. As a songwriter it is impossible to compare both yet. A lot of "fans" have short memories. They wanted Alain out. Now Jessie is getting the same treatment.

Cant please everyone

Spot on.

You're only half right...

how for example do you know that these are the same people?

Also because people called for change, doesnt mean that people have to like the subsequent result. People who wanted change can still dislike jessie's music surely

edit. and by the way, how in the name of satan is Your Arsenal 'Jingly Jangly'?

Last edited:
Why do people keep announcing it is a fact that Alain has left?

Everything he and Morrissey have said publicly goes against that. He has not left. He is still writing for Morrissey, he just can't play live anymore.

Also because people called for change, doesnt mean that people have to like the subsequent result. People who wanted change can still dislike jessie's music surely

edit. and by the way, how in the name of satan is Your Arsenal 'Jingly Jangly'?

CPIK, WLYK, YTFMF are just as 'jingy jangly' as anything Marr wrote that was given that tag.

All i am saying is Alain wrote great stuff for Moz and will again hopefully. My point is that a Morrissey fan is very fickle. Thats the point i was making. Too early to judge Jessie but a great live guitarist

cossy

Jesse has only written 7 songs, but I like all of them. He has a distinct style that makes his Ringleader work different from Alain's Ringleader work. But I always found a much more significant difference between albums with different writers than the writers themselves. I really can barely tell Alain and Boz apart. There are some traits more common in one's catalog than the other, but of Alain, Boz, Street, Marr, and Jesse I think any one of them could write anything by the other.

Cant please everyone

Would you agree with my post Kuiper???

cossy

Jesse has only written 7 songs, but I like all of them. He has a distinct style that makes his Ringleader work different from Alain's Ringleader work. But I always found a much more significant difference between albums with different writers than the writers themselves. I really can barely tell Alain and Boz apart. There are some traits more common in one's catalog than the other, but of Alain, Boz, Street, Marr, and Jesse I think any one of them could write anything by the other.

I think you've got to remember that the writers only come up with the bare bones of the song. Once you get into the studio I'm sure a band sound takes over as the musicians all add their own styles to the mix. Plus the producer and Morrissey will have quite a say in how the arrangements turn out. It's no wonder you can't tell them apart.

Back
Top Bottom