posted by davidt on Monday September 26 2005, @11:00AM
goinghome writes:
Don’t forget to tune in to BBC2, 8.30pm this Tuesday 27th Sept. for “The James Dean Legacy: Rebel Without a Cause” when Johnny Depp (one of whose girlfriends was Kate Moss) presents a profile of the legendary Hollywood actor who died at the wheel of his Porsche 50 years ago aged just 24. Morrissey is one of the guest speakers.
---
Update: 09/27 19:56 GMT: Listen Live link at BBC Radio 2 site provided in the comments.
---
Update: 09/28 00:50 GMT: Morrissey did not appear as advertised according to people who listened to the show.
Tales From The Dark writes:
I can't help wondering if he plays any Morrissey?

The link:

Don't hang the DJ, it's Andy Rourke

Excerpt:

So Andy, how do you feel about playing Smiths records at your new nights? Surely the requests come thick and fast, even for classic track Panic, where Morrissey urges us to "Hang the DJ."

"I'm quite happy to play a couple," he says. "Though I normally duck behind the DJ booth when I do because people tend to start looking over.

"The thing is, unlike a lot of music of the era, Smiths music still sounds really fresh and exciting, which means it's still good to play out."
Tom Stroud writes:
Thursday 13th October BBC Radio 4 11pm (link)

Andrew Paresi (now Andrew MacGregor) tells his story of working with Morrissey. Various contributors include journos and musicians; the most interesting would seem to be Stephen Street and Clive Langer.

BBC Press release says "Andrew holds forth in a narrative peppered with Spinal Tap moments, mordant Mancunian observations, Morrissey-brand tragi-comedy and, of course, obligatory drum solos."

Should be worth a listen...! What will Moz think?
---
In this funny and fast-moving half-hour, comedian and writer Andrew McGibbon recalls his drumming sojourn with Morrissey, one of the wittiest and most profound rock poets of his generation.
Andrew is a live and session drummer who has worked with everyone from Peter Gabriel to Bucks Fizz. But it was the time spent with The Smiths’ singer, Morrissey, that provided him with his most memorable professional experiences. Capturing a sense of the late Eighties music scene and Andrew’s distinct but very small contribution to it, I Was Morrissey’s Drummer is an unmissable vignette of popular culture.

In a witty and perceptive show,Andrew holds forth in a narrative peppered with Spinal Tap moments, mordant Mancunian observations, Morrissey-brand tragi-comedy and, of course, obligatory drum solos.

There are contributions from Grace Jones, Suggs, producers Clive Langer (Elvis Costello, Dexy’s Midnight Runners), Stephen Street (Blur,The Smiths) and Danton Supple (Coldplay), as well as journalists David Quantick, Danny Eccleston and Mark Kermode. Andrew McGibbon (then working as Andrew Paresi) is a musician, comic, writer and producer.

Presenter/Andrew McGibbon, Producers/Jonathan Ruffle and Nick Romero
---
sweetnesss writes:
Just found this article on www.popjunkie.tv:

The best Mozza album you've never heard

Funny, sad, moving and controversial, Kill Uncle is everything a Morrissey album should be. Shame that cos of a rather silly post-Smiths backlash that so few of his legions of fans have heard it then.
---
Sean Hannam also writes:
Morrissey's Kill Uncle has been named a 'great lost album' on new music website Pop Junkie - www.popjunkie.tv

The site, which launched last week, has been designed to promote underrated and 'lost' pop records. It was started by two national journalists who were bored with the same old lists of Top 100 albums.

Other bands featured on the site, which is updated weekly, are Gene, Pet Shop Boys, Puressence and The Boo Radleys.
Belligerent Ghoul sends the link:

Prufrock: Between rock and a hard place - The Sunday Times

HEAVEN knows Sanctuary is miserable now.

The music company, whose clients include Morrissey, Sir Elton John, Guns’n’Roses and Beyoncé, and was for so long a stock-market darling, has had another awful week
An anonymous person writes:
Just to let you know that Boz's new band The OneThree has two songs uploaded on the myspace page. Sound pretty good to me, much different to anything Boz has done before, especially with a rapped vocal. Anyway here's the link: http://www.myspace.com/theone3.

---
Today's News | September 27 | September 25  >

[ home | terms of service ]