posted by davidt on Wednesday September 21 2005, @11:00AM
Zeke writes:
A blurb was posted on www.pitchforkmedia.com regarding the new album. A quote from Mozzer's publicist included.

So the album is "balls to the wall"....glory hole not included.....

Morrissey at Work on New Album

Kati Llewellyn reports:
The man who put the 'M' in Manchester is in the news again. Surprisingly, we're not here to tell you Morrissey's playing "X" festival, [insert fancy name here] Hall, or a couple dates around Europe. Oh, it's bigger than that...the kind of thing that makes people yell "THIS JUST IN!", "BREAKING NEWS!", or even "STOP THE PRESSES!".

Everyone's favorite Smiths frontman is currently in the studio with producer Jeff Salzman (the Killers)...and our good friend death. Yup, Morrissey is at work in Rome in film soundtrack god Ennio Morricone’s former studio, which happens to be located in the catacombs of a seventeenth-century church. Ooh, how goth.

According to his publicist, "It's apparently the most full-on rock record Morrissey's ever done. It's a balls-to-the-wall rock record, not a slow one like the last one." The album is close to being wrapped, and is tentatively scheduled for a spring 2006 release. At this point in time, tour dates have not been released, but hey, I'm sure they'll be, uhh, balls-to-the-coffin.
goinghome writes:
“Cockney Reject - The Jeff Turner Story” is just recently published. It’s the biograghy of Cockney Rejects vocalist Jeff 'Stinky' Turner. With, the sales blurb announces, a foreword by Morrissey.

The launch with the band was in Purfleet on 2nd September, and while there is an introduction to the book on the band’s website, it’s hardly Morrissey’s contribution. So it’d be great if anyone could put their hands on the book and report back on what the forward says.

Garry Bushell co-wrote the book. He pens columns for ‘The People’ and has produced a comprehensive history of the English ‘oi’ punk movement that Cockney Rejects represent, a movement maligned and misunderstood, with some parallels to Morrissey's story. A little summary goes like this: “Oi’s self-definition of ‘having a laugh and having a say’ got it right on the button. The laughs were ten a penny for Jack the Lads knocking back pints and pills and pulling at the pubs, rampaging at the football grounds and revelling in rebel rock’n’roll at the gigs. Oi reflected that, but it also cried out against the injustices weighed up against the young working class. In that sense Oi was a real voice from the backstreets, a megaphone for dead-end yobs. At its best it went beyond protest, and dreamed of a better life: social change; the kids united.”

The rest is at this link.
Gabriel writes:
I just found an interesting article in the Mexican "La Revista" (09/12-18/2005), entitled: "La nariz de Morrisey (sic)" ("The nose of Morrissey), by Eduardo Limon.

Here's my translation (I know, my English is far from perfect, so please forgive me):

- Not long ago I was with the band Jumbo, talking about their compilation album "Gran Panorámico". To this "regios" things haven't been bad at all, they've toured all over Mexico and the States, where they have had the chance to open for some Region 1 artists like Coldplay and Morrisey (sic).

About this last, Jumbo shared some very eccentric stories, "Rumor has it he never fucks, he hates sex", "His bodyguards make a wall when he's heading to the stage and he always keeps looking straight ahead". Gee. So, who's this Morrisey (sic)?.

He, of course, is not Elvis reincarnation.

OK, the guy was the front man of one vital band, The Smiths, and his last album is good again. So why those mega rock star fables? Only God knows, the point is that he's succesful, a great seller and... vegetarian.

And here it comes the greatest eccentricity of the English man.

"He abhors people who eat meat", the Jumbo said to me, "he hates them to approach him, rumor has it he can smell them and his nose can't stand the odor of a carnivore". Like, Oh God.

One day, just before the soundcheck, the Mexican band was outside the dressing rooms chatting with the Jaguares. There were Saúl, Alfonso and Vampiro, with his nine years old kid, all chatting with Jumbo.

Suddenly, a great confusion, bodyguards that keep running, Morrisey (sic) was coming with his whole entourage. For sure the semi-God was hungry and his bouncers had decided to take him to eat some lettuce to the dining room that had been installed next to the stage.

Passing the [typically carnivirous ?] Mexican rockers, Morrisey (sic) stopped all in a sudden. He watch them and headed towards them, the bodyguards moved away and the pompadoured man approached Vampiro, Jaguares' guitarist, stretching in a very friendly fashion his hand and smiling to his kid, who just opens his mouth, surprised, all this in the middle of the sepulchral silence of all the others.

'Nice to meet you. Hey, I would like to talk with you! Do you want to come with me?', Morrisey (sic) took the musician with him to have a chat, nine years old kid in tow.

While they were going away, all smiles, the Jumbo said "Like, how come? If this guy doesn't talk to any carnivore, because he can smell them".

And Saul, watching the new friends (Moz and Vampiro and his Kid) walking away, smiled and said: "El Vampiro is a total vegetarian". Gasp. "And his son never, ever, eats meat, his daddy have raised him like an utter vegetarian".

Vampiro came back like one hour later: "This guy's so cool", said smiling. "We chatted, I played a guitar he had around there and he even sang. He took a picture with us. Look at it. Such a good vibe this guy".

And so it is. Morrisey's (sic) good vibe has something. And, by the way it looks, also does his nose".
themozzer2k3 writes:
Alright, it is hard to believe, but.... Morrissey rarities, fully tagged and ready to download, full sets.....

Have more? Let me know at [email protected]

http://www.kontney.com/morrissey.htm

"Just a guy tryin' to make it"
someraincoatedlovers writes:
Another news bit I believe taken from the GQ article, at ContactMusic Morrissey: 'Doherty can't cope'

Former THE SMITHS frontman MORRISSEY has hit out at the way the British media trivialises BABYSHAMBLES frontman PETE DOHERTY's drug-taking.

Doherty - who is dating supermodel KATE MOSS - has been through several unsuccessful spells in rehab in a bid to beat addictions to crack cocaine and heroin, and Morrissey feels he should be helped, not encouraged.

The singer says, "I'm not sure he can cope. There's a desperation to him. I sense he's on thin ice.

"It's all very giggle-worthy for NME (British music magazine) to report two hours after a gig that he's in a crack house in Glasgow (Scotland) but I don't find that amusing."
Today's News | September 22 | September 20  >

[ home | terms of service ]