posted by davidt on Monday September 19 2005, @10:00AM
handsome groom writes:
I just haven't bought it yet, babies, but here it is:

Tributo a los Smiths con acento español - LaNetro

Some spanish indie groups cover THE SMITHS

Excerpt:

Una luz que nunca se apagará (El Diablo, 2005)
Nos estamos acostumbrando a que bandas del denominado pop-rock independiente nacional sean convocadas a participar en discos homenaje a grupos, en este caso, británicos.

SPAM vs Silvia Superestar vs Digital 21: Bigmouth strikes again
LKan: Ask
Globaltempo vs Javier Ojeda: How soon is now?
Stereoskope: This charming man
Femme Fatal: Heaven knows I'm miserable now
Maydrïm: Shakespeare's sister
Lethargy: Some girls are bigger than others
Ratio: The queen is dead
Sexy Sadie: Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me
Damills: Please please please let me get what I want
Bombones: Girlfriend in a coma
Bad Tattoo: Hang the Dj

Digital 21: Panic
Ciudadano vs Joaquín Pascual: The boy with the thorn in his side
Lonely Joe: Handsome devil
Indigo: This charming man
Frozen on board: Death of a disco dancer
Eric Fuentes: Still ill
Da: Girlfriend in a coma
Malahora: Real around the fountain
Alado Sincera: Well I wonder
Murmur: Jeane
Madee: William, it was really nothing
Miranda Warning: Cemetry gates
Deluxe: There is a light than never goes out

Popside Aggro writes:
Just heard on the Phil Jupitus show on Radio 6 - ' Boz Boorer, musical director for Morrissey, who has recently left that organisation , has a new band', which is something of a surprise. Either Boz has called it a day and is pushing on with his new project, OneThree or Phil has been reading old Popbitch streams or, seeing that there seems to be a 3-5 year hiatus between Moz albums, Boz dabbling with side projects to keep him out of mischief. Personally speaking, I would be gutted if the great, lumpen Cockney Gretsch-smith had been given his marching orders and I genuinely hope that the True to You tale, of the chaps getting back together in Rome for the new album is the real deal.
---
This is contrary to reports that Boz is currently recording in Rome with Morrissey.
Astroman writes:
Given Moz's penchant for being vengeful and his plethora of songs that channel this, it's not surprising that one of his songs made a list of Top 10 "F*** You" Songs as compiled by Pitchforkmedia.com. The song that made the list is one of the wittier ones...

6. The Smiths: "The Queen Is Dead"
Morrissey and the Smiths were well-known for their mockery and disdain for the Queen, and this jam truly sums up their "fuck you" sentiment to her highness. I just love the line "her very Lowness with her head in a sling I'm truly sorry but it sounds like a wonderful thing." Morrissey's somber yet sarcastic delivery paint an amazing image of working-class Manchester in the 80s.
The Brave One writes:
Went to the record release party last night for the band the Nightmare of you, at the Downtown on Long Island New York. At one point someone yelled out Morrissey. The lead singer kept talking about how Morrissey was big influence on him during that song. Nightmare of you was great,well worth going to see. Their webpage is www.nightmareofyou.com
Hello Indie writes:
Meat Is Murder got a mention on BBC6 Music's, Marc Riley's, 'Rocket Science'.

Marc was discussing punk bands when he suddenly got to The Smiths - Meat Is Murder, of which Marc said, ' how can anybody not have a hard hitting album title such as 'Meat Is Murder' and not cause havok with it?'.

Morrissey & Marr also got crictism by Marc and his buddie saying ' Also they added to everything by not paying their drummer and bass player, and plus trouble apparently occured when Morrissey spotted Andy Rourke queuing up for a burger, MINT!!'.
my robot friend writes:
the times on saturday 10th september have done a write up about how ketamine is getting popular in clubs. Julie Burchill argues that some drugs are good cos they make you more outgoing. She writes:

"I think it likely that rather than conquer the dizzying heights of the British media I might have wasted my life in a stupor of solitary funk. Okay, i might have better teeth, but what use is that when you're sitting in a darkened room playing ancient Morrissey records all day, never seeing a soul from one week to the next?"

made me laugh when i read that.
An anonymous person writes:
Heckler Spray is a straight-talking entertainment gossip portal. On Sept 16th it gives an honorary mention to The Smiths' appearance in the National Portrait Gallery.

“Morrissey To Meet Shakespeare

Well, kind of.
Okay ... not at all. Not even one little bit. We just wanted to get your attention. Sorry.
You know what hecklerspray does by now. We take a look at the world of entertainment, pointing at various public figures and being all sarcastic. This is good because a) it makes you dear people laugh and b) this laughter conveniently masks the sound of our chronic weeping.

But - occasionally - we just like to highlight things that we think are cool.
Such as seminal Manchester band The Smiths being granted a spot in the National Portrait Gallery - alongside cheeky chappies such as Henry VIII and old Will Shakespeare.
Ahem. That's all. Normal bile-ridden service will be resumed from this point on.
Pete Doherty is a twat, isn't he?”
Oliver Cromwell writes:
October appears to be a good month for Smiths/Morrissey
fans in Dublin..

The Dublin Theatre Festival 2005 is Hosting
"Some Girls are Bigger than others" A play based around the
Music of The Smiths and Morrissey.. It is on at the
Olympia Theatre from October 7th to the 12th.
The Olympia is one of the best venues in Dublin.

Then at the Temple Bar Music Center On October the 22nd..
"These Charming Men" a Smiths/Morrissey tribute band who have already
played Cork City on Aug 24th, Galway on Sept 17th and TBMC Dublin.

All we need now is for The Man to gig here... I live in hope
William writes:
IS IT REALLY SO STRANGE? screening:

AUSTIN
Regal Arbor Cinema
9828 Great Hills Trail
2:30 PM on Saturday, October 1
www.agliff.org

My website:
http://www.shiftlessbody.com/
Today's News | September 20 | September 18  >